Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This deserves its own thread. Well my friend walleyefreak is having some trouble posting pics of his fish, so I figured I would post it for him, because the pics are on my phone. I will let walleyefreak tell you guys the story, but I will let you know that the fish weighed 60 lbs, 50 inches long and 31 and 1/4 inch girth. It was definitely a trophy class fish and it WAS release safely I'm glad to say.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Attachments

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I also have the footage of the fight, the aftermath, and the the lure, and yes i said lure lol. If someone could help me figure out how to post a video here via ohubcampfire app, without having to host it on youtube or something like that...

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Holy cow!!! That’s an incredible catch!!

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Awesome fish man!! what was the exact weight? I love fall flatties from clear lakes, they often get that yellow hue on them! Thanks for the release....

Salmonid

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
That is awesome! I grew up by both Seneca and Salt Fork and caught flatties in the 40s but never that big. Big congratz to you!!

·
Registered
237 Posts
Definetly the fish of a lifetime. I've been fishing seneca since I was 4yrs old and have heard stories and seen fish like this in pictures in baitshops but never landed one. Many times I've had my line broken and even broke a few rods on giant fish that I never saw break the surface. The story starts by us trolling for saugeyes and coming up empty handed all day until 530 when we were about to give up on trolling and go try for some crappies in the brush when bang my medium action rod with only 8lb line doubled over. I first thought snag but then I felt a TUG TUG then the sounds of my drag screaming out. I was luck enough to get his head turned before he took all my line. Then he was coming straight for the boat. He got to within 10ft of the boat and stopped and just layed on the bottom like a log for what seemed like 5 minutes. We are now 15 minutes into the fight and the fish decides he's not done yet and rips off 50yds of line in a split second. 25 minutes into the fight and he dead under the boat and belly on the bottom. I managed to get his head up and head up and gained a few feet of line when we saw bubbles come up and said we almost got him.. now 30 minutes in and we get our first look at him and OH MY GOD was all of our reactions. Morrison inc says there is no way in hell he's fitting in this net and my other buddy says give me that damn net its going in that net if its the life of me. 5 minutes later the fish surfaced and was in the net and laying in the bottom of the boat and we all yelled like little kids. What a monster fish I just caught. Drove the fish to shore to get some more pics, weigh and revive him in front of my cabin. Gave him a big sloppy kiss on his big flat head and off he swam. Needless to say we drank a lot off beer later that night and relived the batlled of the century on 8lb line. It has to be a record for 8lb line. Any help in finding out would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
11,392 Posts
Congratulations!:) That is a beautiful catch and a fish of a lifetime for sure. Thanks for sharing the story and the picture.

·
get the net!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
125 Posts
now there's a great story to tell your grand kids,you and your buddies did a great job!!!!!stand tall and be proud and have a few more beers and thanks shareing the pics.and the story.just a thought send this story to the line,rod and reel manufactures,nothing to lose.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I have sent pics to berkley and diawa rods to inform them of their great products. Not hoping for anything out of it but if there is its just an added bonus. Also have sent pics to Ohio outdoor news and fish and field report along with other magazines with the story behind the monster. The best part was the release of the fish and to watch him casually swim off healthy as can be to live out his life for many more years. Best fishing trip with my 2 best fishing buddies to be a big help and witness to this possible record on 8lb line.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Awesome fish! Bet that was pretty cool seeing that come up when thinking you had a monster Saugeye. True catch of a lifetime for sure!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts