close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

#1 Piece of Equipment for Bowhunting

Discussion in 'Bowhunting' started by DrZ, Sep 29, 2005.

1. DrZ

DrZ

I just wanted to mention what I think is the number one piece of bowhunting equipment you should have with you this season. It's not a brand of bow, or a type arrowrest, or my favorite style of broadhead. In my oppinion the most important piece of equipment is a harness. I don’t even think about getting into a tree stand with out a safety harness. It is a piece of equipment that can really mean a lot to a bowhunter, and would I really encourage you guys to spend some money on a good one before you bowhunt this year. Many bowhunters I have known spend literally thousands of dollars on high end archery equipment and then won’t spend money on a harness. Many don’t use any kind of safety belt and most use the crappy one that comes with their stand.

Here is a thought about all the money we spend on gadgets to increase our bowhunting enjoyment and success-- Before the turn of the century people successfully bowhunted in North America for two to three thousand years with an equipment list that consisted of the following: two sticks, a string and a stone. Their effective range was about twenty yards. With today’s bowhunting equipment, the average whitetail is taken at twelve yards. I’m not saying that our technology doesn’t make it easier, I just think its funny how much weight we bowhunters put in our gadgets. For most of us who are regular compound shooters, a twelve yard shot is a drop in the bucket. It doesn’t matter if our string is made of Dacron of Dyneema, if our limbs are glass or carbon, if our release is a $120 dollar back tension Carter, or a $20 Wal-Mart caliper, if we have a Whisker Biscuit or a stick on flipper, ACC’s or Gamegetters………. The list goes on and on. Regardless of equipment, most of us can hit the 4” circle at 12 yards. Yet we are willing to dish out $200 if it can buy us a few feet per second. Is the money you are about to spend on gear really going to make the difference in whether or not you take a deer, or have a good season? For the first time in history we have harness systems that can just about prevent 100% of treestand injuries and people are not willing to pay for one. Will preventing a fall from a stand make a difference in whether or not you have a good season? Statistics show that one in three bowhunters will fall from a stand in their hunting careers. Will you be wearing a harness when you fall?

The first full body harnesses were a tangled mess and a pain to put on. The newest ones are great. I have timed myself in the complete darkness of my basement and I can take my Seat-O-The-Pants Harness System out of my backpack and put it on in less than thirty seconds. You can’t beat it. New systems prevent falls when climbing, and when getting in and out of your stand. The newer systems also have a tethered harness that absorbs the energy from you fall and reduces shock. They are comfortable, don’t restrict movement and actually help increase hunting accuracy by holding bulky hunting clothes away from your bowstring.

I urge you guys, instead of going out and upgrading your bow, arrows, rests or sights this year, go out and spend a hundred bucks on a good harness system like a Seat-O-The-Pants or Hunter Safety System Vest. It is the most important piece of bowhunting equipment you can own.

Good luck this fall and HUNT SAFE!!!

Dan Z

2. crankus_maximus

crankus_maximus Crankus Baitus Maximus

Good post Dan!

Now, how much did you get from "Seat O Your Pants" for the plug? :)

3. I agree with Crankus. Very good post! I have a pretty decent full body harness but not the one you are plugging. I have to admit that it is a bit of a chore untangling it prior to putting it on when I toss it down rather than neatly hanging it when putting it away.:rolleyes:

It definitely is something that I would not think of hunting without from a stand. I know guys who do not use them and I always warn them. I even feel more stable when shooting with one because I am not afraid to step out to the edge of my stand and move around without holding on.

4. I bought my Hunter Safety System TreeStalker Vest at Cabelas! I love it and its simple to put on. You can bet that I won't be in my stand without it!

5. stilesp

stilesp Fishin Alum

I second the motion on Hunter Safety System. I always thought it too expensive to buy but my dad got me one for christmas a few yrs ago and I love it. I would have spent the money had I known how nice they are. The cadillac of safety belts.

6. So how many others out there are using the Hunter Safety System? I admit...I am one who uses the cheap one that came with the stand...BUT...I am going to upgrade before I go back up and was looking for a little bit of personal feedback from a few people who have used the Hunter Safety System harness...or something similar that they really like.

7. bronzebackyac

bronzebackyac Crick Smallie Fisherman

I use the HSS as well. They are worth the $. I did not use the cheap harness, cause it was a PITA. I don't have any excuses now.

8. DavidT

DavidT Fly Flinger

The one that came with my Summit ain't too bad. My wife makes me wear it. !@

9. Those things would not be half as overwhelming if they would just mark the ends (left top, right top, left bottom, right bottom). Once you know that part it ain't bad. I guess maybe I just enjoy a challenge too much to drop the money for something easier.:D

I think I should be getting pretty good at oragami by now.:p

10. I think the ones that come with the gorilla tree stands are good .

11. I had a pair that came with a new Ameristep 2-man ladder stand. They are just the basic style. They wrap around the leg and then into each buckle and then the single top buckle.

12. I have timed myself in the complete darkness of my basement and I can take my Seat-O-The-Pants Harness System out of my backpack and put it on in less than thirty seconds.

You really need to get out hunting more........and if it was dark, how did ya see the watch?

J/K.....I 100% agree with ya.....good post... :p

13. i use the hunters safety system and like it. It's easy, and best of all has a few extra pockets.

14. I use the harness that came with my Summit. I can put it on pretty quick. The key is not to wad it up when you put it away. I would really like to have a seat o the pants but it just hasn't been in the budget yet. I feel really safe in the one that I have and I always wear it. If I remember correctly, Summit makes the seat o the pants, right? So the one that came with my stand is just as safe, just not as simple. By the way, how do you all use those little smiley icons and what not in your posts? I can't figure it out.

15. Just click on the "Post Reply" rather than using the quick reply. Above the dialogue box you will see all of the icons and the smiley dropdown is in there. Or you can memorize them and simply type them.;)