close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

08 Erie Canal/Towpath area fishing any good?

Discussion in 'Northeast Ohio Fishing Reports' started by Billium, May 3, 2008.

1. Billium

Billium I love panfish...for bait

My name is Billy, i moved to Massillon a couple years ago and recently started getting back into fishing again and was wondering what the most popular species to fish for in the Erie Canal/Towpath are in Massillon? I'm mostly a farm pond catfish,LM guy or anything thats able to break your line from time to time. :p Anyone care to share whats best in there and what to use? Thanks guys!

2. I have yet to make it out there. I was going to check out lock 4 park friday but the weather looked crappy up there. I know they have trout in the canal and gills and bass. Not sure of what else and if any of it is of size. But if the canal is bad, just walk 20 feet and fish the tusc, lol.

3. Billium

Billium I love panfish...for bait

4. The One

The One Ret. 1SG U.S. Army

I have heard a few pike, carp, catfish, and gills near Canal Fulton.

5. Riverman

Riverman Banned

They are catching some Pike in the hole near NW schools.
    I also saw one trout and one walleye caught 2 weeks ago.
    Big bass minows - chubs or shiners work well - lots of snags so save yuor lures for more open water.

6. I just got back from fishing the canal in Barberton. I actually went out to pick ramps, so I only took 1 pole with a black rooster tail. I fished for maybe 45 minutes, and caught 2 bass a little over 15". 2 bass that were small maybe 6", and a bunch of nice bluegill. I seen 2 deer in the woods about 20 yards away , that didnt even stand up. They just watched me walk past. I did see many bass on the beds. It is getting pretty weedy to fish with rooster tails. Not bad for an afternoon ramp hunting.

7. Riverman

Riverman Banned

Ctroop,

Sound like you had a great time. There might have been fawns in the grass you didn't see and that's why they just sat still.

I might take a long stroll along the canal and try a weedless worm if I can see some big belly spawners to fight.

Did you find many ramps?

8. Riverman, I didnt see any fawns, but I was thinking the same thing.
    That Is why I just walked slowly walked away. They stayed right there. You should do pretty good with a rubber worm on those bass. Im going to hit Nimi in a few minutes. I appreciate your report on the spillway. I dont fish there but I may stop by and see how everyone is doing. Good luck

9. Riverman

Riverman Banned

The spillway isn't an easy place to fish with high sloped walls and lots of snags.
    It can be very discouraging if you can not land a nice fish.
    My son can move up and down the wall to net the fish and that is the reason I went. I'm getting to old for some of that stuff!

10. There is a park near Jackson high on Fulton that just got stocked with trout and small bass. Its a small pond you may like Bill.... I was at lock 4 before I went to Jackson park on Sat, lots of weeds and only caught 1 trout..... Not much fun. Jackson park was way better.

11. Is that the same park that is across the street from a stat care? has a gazebo and deck to fish off of? I was at that one two years ago and didnt catch squat, might have to stop out there.

12. Yes...Same place....Sat was the first time I have fished there so I don't know much about it, but I do know they stocked it last week with trout for the tournament.. The ponds not all that big but the park is very large, lots of things for the kids.

13. BabsFishy

BabsFishy The Lost Wyomingite

I was out there last weekend. It's very shallow water for trout and the warm weather is very obviously taking it's toll. Many dead fish along the bank. Caught a nice 14" trout, but neither of my friends caught anything. The water is clearer and easier to fish the farther away from the lock you walk. Good for someone like my buddy who likes to play around with an ultra light. I don't feel like it would be good bobber fishing, fun for the spoons and spinner bait.

But I'd also say that Jackson Park is better fishing. More "commercial" and not as relaxing of an environment, but easy to catch a bunch of fish. Seen people catching them off the bottom, on bobbers, and spinners.