Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
first rod in the water at 7am, fished with my partner howard and good friend van (fishers of men) - 55 fow 3/4 mile north of crib - ran 6 big dipsies 1-1/2,2-1/4 and 3-1/2 settings 75-90, 90-120,and 120-150 back - anything orange was hot - orange crush, tangerine, chicken wing, and also copper watermelon - all were copper backs. had our limit by 11. - decided to go after bullets, ran about another 8 miles north to 70 fow - hooked up after 10 minutes, then nothing - trolled south and started picking them up in 67 fow , stayed on that depth with an east troll and kept busy! same program except we put out all shiny silver backed spoons with oranges,blues,greens - silver watermelon and some spoon howard bought on a clearance shelf for 98 cents , it was all chrome and we could not keep it in the water it caught 3 bullets and many, many walleye. we played c&r with at least 20 more walleye - ended up 6 for ten on the bullets with some very good performances with there acrobatics. quit at 5pm - tired of letting all them walleye go and the belly was screaming for food. also 6 white bass and 2 farm animals.

Attachments

·
Registered
295 Posts
Thats some awsome fishing,Im jealous!Those steelhead are nice how do you guys cook them?Keep up the good fishing!

·
Registered
421 Posts
Sweet job!! Sounds like I should of got my lazy butt out of bed today. Did fishers of men get his part for his boat?

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thats some awsome fishing,Im jealous!Those steelhead are nice how do you guys cook them?Keep up the good fishing!
i usually grill mine in foil with lots of lemon and spices - but the best is smoked - van has a smoker and is going to hook us up

·
Lumberjack
1,526 Posts
Way to hammerin' guys...nice when everything comes together for a great day on the big pond.

·
85 Posts
Wow! Looks like you guys got a real good workout. You just can't beat days like that. Sorry to hear your boat is down Van but sometime it's more relaxing to hitch a ride. Had to work all weekend but I'll be out tomorrow north of the crib. Sounds like you didn't run any boards, just dipsy's or did you just catch them all on the dipsy's?
The best way I found to cook those bullets is to smoke 'em also. I soak the steaks in a gallon ziplock for a day in a solution of 2 parts worchestershire, 2 parts white wine and 1 part lemon juice. It's not real salty like the brine solution and the fish taste great after smoking.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Steelies, I agree smoking is best, but when grilling in foil I use lots of garlic & butter, saute some onions & hot peppers and smother top of fillet's, grill to done.

·
3,317 Posts
Rod, the trick to brine solution is how long there in versus thickness and a thorough rinsing afterwards. I can do them not salty at all or very slight. I cold smoke the old fashion way also. Wood - Cherry, a lil apple for some sweetness and I used to keep it a secret, but a lil green sassafras gives an outstanding kick.

·
3,317 Posts
Hey rip, the video turned out pretty cool, makes everyone sick, all the fish we were throwin back. I have to go get a cord so I can put it to the 'puter. Just a lot of howards back, we need a way to stick it higher, maybe a post from your front seat base. I am working on a mount from my hard top.

AND, my friend has a friend that works in a shop down by Tampa that strickly works on marine racing engines. They said they would do my block for 175.00 and have it back to me in a week. Naturally I have to do the labor. I have it tore down and ready to ship. The piston usually run 2-300 and they will give me the pistons and rings for 100 ea. So, thats where I set. I have half a notion to put it back in the water until I get the other engine back together tho. Just take a lil longer to get to the spots! So the whole ordeal will beat a reman powerhead for 4000+ and I will know what I have.
Oh ya, thanks for helping me tear it down Craig.

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
hey Rip nice Limit of fish bud!!!!

i love your group photos of you and the crew!!!

and thanks for sharin!!!!

Frank

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Way to go. We still have a hard time landing the steelheads off the big boards, probably to much slack in the line!

Tgith Lines!

Fish-Crazy: Virgil

·
3,317 Posts
Real Light drag and snubber might help. Sounds like your pullin hooks.
We were using lg dipseys.

·
3,317 Posts
Wow! Looks like you guys got a real good workout. You just can't beat days like that. Sorry to hear your boat is down Van but sometime it's more relaxing to hitch a ride. Had to work all weekend but I'll be out tomorrow north of the crib. Sounds like you didn't run any boards, just dipsy's or did you just catch them all on the dipsy's?
The best way I found to cook those bullets is to smoke 'em also. I soak the steaks in a gallon ziplock for a day in a solution of 2 parts worchestershire, 2 parts white wine and 1 part lemon juice. It's not real salty like the brine solution and the fish taste great after smoking.
Hey Rod, if ya have any openings let me know...Ya, I'm hitchhikin for a moment.
I would like to get off cleve some more real quick. Ya all lg dipseys the contour right at 66-67 feet and east troll was the ticket for the chromes straight out from the crib. You should limit eyes at the same time. all the steelie hits were at 2.6 to 2.7 we went to 3.1 but 2.6 was the action and baits down 35-40'

The spinner/spoon hammered silver combo (ole petes) in pic. worked for both!
http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa305/FishersofMen/edge18.jpg

·
85 Posts
Van, I'm not sure but I think you were posting to me but you got the name wrong. It's Tom not Rod. I cold smoke also and my secret was Mulberry. Also use the cherry @ the apple but the mulberry gives it a very nice flavor.

·
3,317 Posts
Oh ya, Tom, I was thinking Double Eagle! Anyway, when I was living in Fla, there wasn't access to our woods here and those people were using palm branches and stuff like that. I found that seagrape worked well and a cute one was austrailan pine if you can imagine. But Austrailan pine has no tar in it. I guess it is the only pine a person can use. Down there I had to dig a fire pit in the ground, covered with tin and piped to a smoker that I had to box in so it wasn't seen. The problems ended with "this is my barbecue! There was plenty of problems with legal crap.lol:)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts