close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

05/14/04 River Fishing...

Discussion in 'Ohio River Fishing Reports' started by TIGHTLINER, May 17, 2004.

1. I was sorta reluctant to post about my river trip, due to the fact that I fished horrible and my group didn't do much better. So this is how it went, Myself, one of my buddies and his dad headed down to the Ohio River to do some fishing. The fishing was slow. My one buddy caught a 14 1/4" fish ohio crappie on a large white twister tail, a 24 1/2" fish ohio sheephead on a large white twister tail, and a small 2 lb flathead catfish on a piece of cut gizzard shad. My buddies' dad caught a saugeye on a white twister tail, and also caught a 26 1/2" fish ohio sheephead on a pig and jig. I was jig fishing and snagged some old fishing line. As my buddy grabbed the line and started pulling it in, I noticed that there was a fish attached to is and it started to jump and it turned out to be a longnose gar. We brought the gar in and realized that some sick person had tied a slip knot around the gar's nose and released it with all of the excess line in hopes that it would get tangled up and die I assumed. I stayed true to myself and did some tight-lining and managed to bring in 2 small Channel Catfish. The first one went about 1 lb and the other one went about 2 1/2 lbs. Both of the Channel Catfish came on cut gizzard shad. I had a lot of hits and some short runs for a solid two hours. I was having a hard time getting hooksets, and a lot of time my bait would come back shredded to pieces and I attributed that to the longnose gar. I'll include a picture of the one gar and as far as the other fish go, there is pictures of them on my website. Now, what do I need to do to catch more flatheads?!?!?

2. Don't feal bad,some fish is better than no fish.This past weekend was not a great one for alot of people.As for catching more cats,good luck!I am in a learning process myself.Daryl

3. Ooops, sorry here's the gar that we rescued LOL

Attached Files:

4. flathunter

flathunter Mellons mentor

At least you caught some, the river fishing has been very slow for me.