Ohio Game Fishing banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

· Registered
292 Posts
^^^^^^^ This! I caught myself doing this while moving around the house. I recognized this as a danger sign. I think I started because I just wasn't walking anywhere anymore, and when I did I really paid for it! So, I resolved to start walking every day that I could. Started by walking down to the gas station to get the paper. Only a block and a half away one way. I've gradually lengthened the walks and my knees don't hurt so much any more.
If you don't use it, you lose it! Never been more truer words spoken as we age.

· Premium Member
1,031 Posts

· Registered
1,542 Posts
Dementia, loss of cognitive functions, generalized muscle weakness, & a diminished ability to balance can all be contributing factors to a shuffling gait. Saw all 4 of these significantly affect my mom's husband as he dealt with Alzheimers for 5 years. As a side note...Bill really loved to fish, especially up north. He told me more than once "I've spent a a year of my life in Canada, one week at a time" !! Mike

· Registered
10,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 · (Edited)
Personally speaking, I'm 67 and I never really felt old until I had that radiation and chemo. They say that will age a person and I'm living proof it does.
Me Too! I had radiation and chemo(Lupron injections) late year before last and last year. With covid and this stuff, I feel like I “lost“ two years. Finally, starting to feel more like my old self! One thing I’ve noticed abt lower activity levels is if I do have a reasonably active day, in the late evening, I get some “eye-crossing leg cramps”! I know it's all due to abbreviated activity level and I am working on it. In the meantime, thank goodness for “Theraworx”! That stuff is “Magic”! If you get muscle cramps, Get Some!

· Registered
2,834 Posts
Speaking for myself, my gait has shortened & I've been fighting "the shuffle" for a couple years. I'm just 61 but have advanced arthritis in my back & hips, causing me to shorten my steps in order to reduce pain. I'm currently doing physical therapy twice a week & a massage every other week. I worked 38 years on concrete along with a bad car accident when younger, so I guess that explains it. I still hunt, fish, & hike as much as I can, but not quite up to the task like I used to be. Keep moving, stretching, & doing strength training or it will get the best of you !!

· Carp Buster
12 Posts
I think we’ve all noticed this type of “walking“ in individuals, you know when(typically an older man) seems to walk by short choppy, shuffling steps. I empathize with anyone who does this, wonder why they do it and what may have precipitated this activity. I’ve had friends and acquaintances who started doing it but never asked abt it for concern of “embarrassing” them. A couple of them even died within a fairly short time after I first noticed it. Now that I’m older myself, I’ve thought about what “signs or symptoms” to look for, what meds might be available, etc, to counter act this from happening, or treat it?! Recently I’ve taken the opportunity during routine doctor visits to inquire abt this. Two doctors have acted like this is something they aren’t “familiar” with from my inquiry abt this(what I call “old man’s shuffle/walk“). Both looked “baffled“ when I asked what causes it, and if there’s even anything(prescription drugs) available for prevention/treatment! Is this something others may have noticed, or have a reason/definition for? Could it be my imagination??
I'm no medical expert but I'm seventy-three years old and have always believed that if you don't use it you will lose still teach martial arts. ex-military and personnel fitness instructor. I ride my Harley whenever I get a chance and walk three to five miles every day. My best advice to you is to walk and do some kind of strength training if with nothing but body weight and you will not have any problems! You can start by doing squats every time you get up from or set down in your chair you will be surprised how fast your body will adapt and how good you will feel.Old age is not for cowards, good luck on your journey!

· Registered
275 Posts
Well, just for the heck of it, I googled it(after I created this thread)! I had done it before and Did Not find what popped up! Only thing I can figure is somehow it has gotten more attention and someone who knew all about it, posted a lot of info on the internet. Much good info, most of which I haven’t digested yet but will! Just goes to show, if it’s not available online, sooner or later it will be! Thanks for all the info posted here already OGF!
Please post a link for the article you found, I'm 78 and definitely have developed "the shuffle". Part of it may relate to a loss of balance from some changes in your inner ear that come about as you age. Other contributing factors for me include neuropathy in the feet from the effects of type II Diabetes and Shortness of breath from COPD.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts