Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

· Registered
10,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think we’ve all noticed this type of “walking“ in individuals, you know when(typically an older man) seems to walk by short choppy, shuffling steps. I empathize with anyone who does this, wonder why they do it and what may have precipitated this activity. I’ve had friends and acquaintances who started doing it but never asked abt it for concern of “embarrassing” them. A couple of them even died within a fairly short time after I first noticed it. Now that I’m older myself, I’ve thought about what “signs or symptoms” to look for, what meds might be available, etc, to counter act this from happening, or treat it?! Recently I’ve taken the opportunity during routine doctor visits to inquire abt this. Two doctors have acted like this is something they aren’t “familiar” with from my inquiry abt this(what I call “old man’s shuffle/walk“). Both looked “baffled“ when I asked what causes it, and if there’s even anything(prescription drugs) available for prevention/treatment! Is this something others may have noticed, or have a reason/definition for? Could it be my imagination??

· Registered
10,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, just for the heck of it, I googled it(after I created this thread)! I had done it before and Did Not find what popped up! Only thing I can figure is somehow it has gotten more attention and someone who knew all about it, posted a lot of info on the internet. Much good info, most of which I haven’t digested yet but will! Just goes to show, if it’s not available online, sooner or later it will be! Thanks for all the info posted here already OGF!

· On the back 9 and loving it!
10,871 Posts
Old age and lack of use is my guess,
My mom does it shes 82 will/has caused a couple of falls.
Also bad hips knees joints ect.
^^^^^^^ This! I caught myself doing this while moving around the house. I recognized this as a danger sign. I think I started because I just wasn't walking anywhere anymore, and when I did I really paid for it! So, I resolved to start walking every day that I could. Started by walking down to the gas station to get the paper. Only a block and a half away one way. I've gradually lengthened the walks and my knees don't hurt so much any more.

· Super Moderator
457 Posts
I think we’ve all noticed this type of “walking“ in individuals, you know when(typically an older man) seems to walk by short choppy, shuffling steps. I empathize with anyone who does this, wonder why they do it and what may have precipitated this activity. I’ve had friends and acquaintances who started doing it but never asked abt it for concern of “embarrassing” them. A couple of them even died within a fairly short time after I first noticed it. Now that I’m older myself, I’ve thought about what “signs or symptoms” to look for, what meds might be available, etc, to counter act this from happening, or treat it?! Recently I’ve taken the opportunity during routine doctor visits to inquire abt this. Two doctors have acted like this is something they aren’t “familiar” with from my inquiry abt this(what I call “old man’s shuffle/walk“). Both looked “baffled“ when I asked what causes it, and if there’s even anything(prescription drugs) available for prevention/treatment! Is this something others may have noticed, or have a reason/definition for? Could it be my imagination??
I have Parkinson's. It is in the early stages right now. My left thumb shakes and I have to watch my balance. You also grind your teeth and have difficulty communicating. My voice trails off and people some time have a hard time understanding what I am saying. Levo dopa meds and exercise help. I have a mild case that will deteriorate my functions. Better I guess to get it at 66 than 46. I have friends that are severe and it scares the crap out of me. Oh well you have to play the cards you are dealt.

· Registered
744 Posts
I have Parkinson's. It is in the early stages right now. My left thumb shakes and I have to watch my balance. You also grind your teeth and have difficulty communicating. My voice trails off and people some time have a hard time understanding what I am saying. Levo dopa meds and exercise help. I have a mild case that will deteriorate my functions. Better I guess to get it at 66 than 46. I have friends that are severe and it scares the crap out of me. Oh well you have to play the cards you are dealt.
Our senior center has boxing classes for Parkinson patients. Suppose to help with balance and movements. Might be some YouTube videos I don't know.

· Super Moderator
457 Posts
Our senior center has boxing classes for Parkinson patients. Suppose to help with balance and movements. Might be some YouTube videos I don't know.
Recently I went back to free weights after a long hiatus. I power lifted 30 years ago and the workouts are what I love.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts