Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
9,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Saw a local tv news article and read something in newspaper about these things. They have normally been in the southern states but with weather fronts, and our rain and humidity in NE Ohio, they have been noticed causing several brown lawns. They are larva of some type of moth. They live just under the ground in any lawn eating grass roots and in a short time leaving a totally brown yard! Seems only thing to knock them out is spraying the entire lawn, once identified, with a strong, toxic pesticide(neither story mentioned what irradicates them). Sure to become a big problem in the future.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Seems I've been seeing a lot more moths of some kind this year. I have not seen one bat yet this year. Wonder if there is a connection?

·
Registered
779 Posts
There are actually two types; one type is natural to the area. The other is literally blowing in from the South in the form of moths that are not native to the area and generally will not survive the winters here, so that this happens every few years when the winds are right. They don't kill the crowns of the grass, so that lawns should come back. However, given global warming, our winters in Cincy haven't been that bad for the past few years, so we'll see.

·
Registered
5,342 Posts
NBC4 did a story on this last night.. The Bug Doctor said to make a mild solution of dawn detergent and disperse over the affected area. Bug Doctor said that the exoskeleton will dissolve using dawn.

·
On the back 9 and loving it!
9,855 Posts
Yeah! I've cut so much grass this year I feel like I work for a lawn service. They can turn my entire lawn brown, and I don't think I would care all that much!

·
Registered
250 Posts
After working long hours for a couple days in a row I noticed my yard was turning brown. Figured out it was infested with army worms. A few days later it was wiped out. I think I could set it on fire. Treated it twice, so time will tell if it comes back this fall.
Sky Plant Ecoregion Building Window

·
Me fail english? That's unpossible.
1,902 Posts
After working long hours for a couple days in a row I noticed my yard was turning brown. Figured out it was infested with army worms. A few days later it was wiped out. I think I could set it on fire. Treated it twice, so time will tell if it comes back this fall. View attachment 475360
That’s about what a lot of yards are looking like in our neighborhood. If I cared I’d do something about it, but like others have suggested I’m sick if mowing so could really care less…

·
Registered
3,760 Posts
Over night the neighbors had a large area turn brown, and looked like something was rooting/digging around in it (my guess raccoons) they use to peel up the sod getting the grubs
Thought of getting the fertilizer bottle out and trying the dawn soap mix before it gets in my yard.... daughter saw a worm on a pepper I brought in that had a bad spot on it(mossy likely from the worm larva

·
Registered
9,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Those sod turnings are probably not raccoon made! After years of not seeing a “skunk“(not even one DOR), lately I’ve seen as many as four(in early morning) foraging for grubs in my back pasture. Their diggings initially look like h***, but after next rain, you can’t find one spot. They are some really neat animals to observe(of course, at some distance!) They also are typically nocturnal.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I tested with dawn dish soap and water on a brown spot in my lawn. I have them. Located in Stark County. I treated once but I will keep testing to see if they survived. When I tested I had 8 night crawlers pop up and one army worm so maybe I found them early.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Sevin will kill them on your lawn. Bayer makes a Grub + that kills them. We have them in SW Ohio. If you see damage put the pesticide down ASAP and you can save your lawn. They have devastated lawns in days. They just popped up here (DAYTON) about 2 weeks ago.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
We have had them for as long as I can remember in central Ohio. Just some years are worse than others. Seems like the media is trying to make a devastating deal about them like they do with everything else. The Anderson’s DuoCide is what I’ve been treating with the last couple years. Try to time it right before a rain or water the lawn right after applying. Depending on the weather you’ll have to reapply in another 3-4 weeks.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
I’ve had them and think I’ve killed them.

Tested a single 2’ x 2’ spot using soapy water in an area of my lawn that was turning brown in spite of decent water/rain amounts. Immediately had 8 army worms emerge. Two hours later, I put GrubX down on my entire lawn and let the slow overnight drizzle help the treatment get into the soil. Tested 3 other spots in the yard 18 hours after treatment-not one army worm.

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
We have had them for as long as I can remember in central Ohio. Just some years are worse than others. Seems like the media is trying to make a devastating deal about them like they do with everything else. The Anderson’s DuoCide is what I’ve been treating with the last couple years. Try to time it right before a rain or water the lawn right after applying. Depending on the weather you’ll have to reapply in another 3-4 weeks.
Been mowing 60 to 70 different lawns in the past 8 years in Central Ohio and haven't seen these before...ever...they may have been here, but not in the abundance they are now...

1 - 20 of 30 Posts