close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Smoked Brisket

Discussion in 'OGF Kitchen' started by tomdury, Feb 16, 2017.

1. Thought I would take a stab out here on OGF and see if anyone had tips for smoking a brisket.

I just built a UDS smoker and bought a 6lb brisket to smoke this weekend. Any tips, trick, or suggestions? Mainly just looking to ensure that I don't ruin a $50 piece of meat ha.

Any help greatly appreciated!

2. Oh man 50 bucks that's nuts shop around next time!
    Briskets are a sinch man. Rub with your favorite rub referigate over nite.
    Pull from fridge let come up to room temp. Place in Smokey smoker an smoke at 225 until desired doneness I don't even probe my briskets any more. If it moves like jello it's done. Most people pull at 190-210°

Lowerider1029 and Hook N Book like this.

3. Oh ya go checkout the ogf kitchen forum

tomdury likes this.
  4. Hook N Book

Hook N Book The Original Hot Rod Staff Member

$50 for a six pounder? You should be able to get 25+ lbs. for that amount. How much change did you get. Ha.
    Post #2 has it right. Low and slow is the key. I usually do a 10-12 pounder at 220 degrees for 12-14 hours.

Saugeyefisher likes this.
  5. Yeah probably not the best idea to go to the highest priced grocery chain in the area but I was in there and got all hot in my pants about trying out this smoker so I bit haha.

Anyone have experience with a UDS? Any tips for keeping it at temp for such a long smoke?

6. Hook N Book

I don't have experience with a "Ugly drum smoker" but have used a drum grill.
    I currently use either a charcoal (my favorite) or an electric master built.
    Temp control is very important with charcoal, don't use too much but reload every 6-8 hours and use
    good cured wood.
    Hope this helps as a start.

7. make sure you cure smoker first

8. I have a Pit Barrel Cooker that uses charcoal. I also add wood chips to give it more smoke. I coat my brisket with olive oil and then a rub. I hang mine in the cooker and cook until the internal temperature is 165 degrees. Usually 3-4 hours. I then take it out and wrap it in foil and add about 2 cups of broth. Be careful not to puncture the foil. I use pineapple juice for the broth.
    Cook it another couple of hours until the internal temperature reaches 200 degrees. Then take the wrapped brisket out and place it in a smaller cooler without ice. This will maintain the temperature for another hour or so.
    This method also works for pork roasts. I swear by my Pit Barrel Cooker.

9. I would do a few pork butts (shoulders) for pulled pork to get the hang of it. They are a lot cheaper so you won't feel as bad if it is not perfect. All I can add is it is an art and it takes experience to get things done the way you like them. Just play with it and over time you will have it down.

10. Being 6 lbs, I'm guessing you got just the flat and not the point end of a brisket. I have smoked many in my UDS's and my other smokers. Since you are learning to smoke a flat and use the UDS, I'd suggest like mentioned, you shoot for 225*. If your UDS does not have any air leaks. Once you have your temp set/adjusted, and depending on how large you made your basket. Your UDS should run/stay at your set temp for at least 17hrs un-touched. I'd suggest you use a small drip pan on a grate under your flat. You can add those drippings back into a covered foil pan or double aluminum foil wrap for when you are resting your flat. Once you are used to using your UDS you can try going with out a pan and decide which you prefer. I prefer to have drippings. You should still get some of the grease missing the pan and hitting the coals for that type flavor profile. Some like that flavor, some don't. So you can choose.
    Start with 1/2 of a chimney full of hot coals for going low and slow. Use a full chimney when going above 300* to dump ontop of your unlit coals/wood. The more wood chunks, the more smoke flavor you will get. Start with 6 fist size chunks buried into the unlit coals.
    Close down most of your intakes 50* below your wanted set point while the drum is coming up to temp. Then adjust from there. Or you can put the meat on once at your temp which will drop the temp of the UDS. And set your intakes, I don't know what you did for intakes, so I can not recommend a setting.
    If you want to start cooking late afternoon, you can smoke the flat till you get the color bark you want (typically 4 to 6 hrs). Place the flat and drippings into a covered foil pan ( for easy clean up) into your oven at 170* and let go overnight. In the morning, check for doneness. Either the probe tender test or the meat should have resistance when pushing down with a finger like pushing on your forearm. If that makes sense. Let set on the counter unwrapped for 30 minutes before holding the flat or it will continue to cook. Going straight into a cooler.
    If you place some large towels in a regular cooler, then the flat, then more towels to take up air space. Your flat will stay plenty hot for 4+ hours depending on your cooler.
    IMHO, the longer the holding rest, the better. For example, one of the most popular brisket joints down south holds their briskets for 11 hrs before they will serve them. (cooked the day ahead).
    Once you have done a few, try doing a "hot and fast" cook. 300 + *
    See which you prefer. The lower the temp cooking, gives you a larger window to get to probe tender dialed in. Hotnfast narrows the window to around 15 minutes to get it perfect and pull.
    Any other questions, just ask. I'll try to help.
    [​IMG]

If you have an electric roasting pan, depending on your model. You can set 150* and safely hold meat for hours and hours with the drippings added. I can hold 3 full briskets in mine. Seal the lid with foil between the lid/pan. Works great. Most ovens will only go as low as 170* which would still keep cooking the meat.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2017
  12. ShakeDown

ShakeDown OGF Staff Staff Member Admin

I smoked brisket every other month or so, and concur with everything posted. I smoke mine a little higher (230) and pull it off around 190, foil and let sit for an hour. Be patient! Worst thing you can do is rush it. Brisket will "stall" (so will pork) around the 175-180 mark...and could take 2 hours to increase even 2-3 degrees. Once you get past the stall, it starts to pick back up again...but that still will frustrate you if you're not prepared :D

Saugeyefisher and Lowerider1029 like this.
  13. Hook N Book

G3guy, I buy meat in bulk at wholesale prices from a restaurant supplier. I do it about 3 times a year.
    I can assure you it's not a manger's special. And you're correct, brisket is usually about $1.99-$2.10/lb.
    Chicken, beef, pork and lamb are all readily available there. And No you can't come over for dinner.

Saugeyefisher and Lowerider1029 like this.
  14. I don't want to come over for dinner but hook a fella up on the 2 $ lb brisket!! I have found it for about 3.25 lb on sale ( not manger special) and that's from SAMs club and that's the whole brisket.

15. We're u located im paying like 2.25/lb for whole briskets....
    Haha but good prices on meat are like good fishing spots. You just don't tell every one;)

16. Where do you guys recommend going for cheaper meat prices on briskets and tenderloins (pork)? Just started smoking and quickly realized there is a slight learning curve. Also learned it can get pretty expensive screwing up large cuts lol. Like the OP, I picked up my first brisket from ACME about a month ago and cant remember the exact $/ lb but it was pretty close to what he paid.

I also don't mean to hijack (sorry OP) but seems like there are some pretty knowledgeable smokers contributing to this thread. My MES seems to keep over shooting the set temp. Ill walk outside it will be at 225 come back 30 40 minutes later to refill chips and it will be at 240 and ill have to crack the door a little bit to drop the temp. Even using a water pan this happens. Any idea's or suggestions on what I am doing wrong? Ive searched on some smoking forums and cant seem to find an answer. Thanks!

Located in Brunswick if that helps at all.

17. Has your electric smoker ever held a steady temp?
    Going from 225 with wood chips, to 240 without might be due to the outside temps and there are no chips taking/using heat. Also, I would not recommend using a water pan. Most of your heat will be used trying to keep the water at/above 215*. The boiling point. And not heating the unit.
    If you'd like, search the BBQ Brethren. You will find alot of great folks who will help with any smoker out there. Even home made units. Just like the folks here. I'd think there are others from this site besides me that belong there.
    Hope that helps.

18. Thanks for the advice @ebijack. Yeah it has held a constant temperature before. I was also thinking it might be the outside temperature causing it to over shoot the desired temp when heating back up. It only really happens when it is closer to freezing outside.

ebijack likes this.
  19. s.a.m

s.a.m

if your look'n your not cook'n keep the lid on open only when needed

20. GFS has whole brisket normally $2.29 lb Our walmart has them also around the same price.

jl106112 likes this.