close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Smoked Brisket

Discussion in 'OGF Kitchen' started by Perchy101, Apr 4, 2009.

1. Perchy101

Perchy101 Here Fishy Fishy Fishy

After spending most of the day today looking up a rub for a brisket I found one I liked... Ran over to Giant Eagle to see if they had the main spice and missing link to the pie and they were out... So I came back and hit the google search engine some more... and found what they called a Magic Dust... Printer that out and then went to WallyWorld to get what I needed... While there I found what I needed for the other rub so I made it...

Been wanting to try a Brisket for awhile now - So I picked up a 5.5 beauty tonight.

[​IMG]

(The cuts in the meat are to remind me what way to cut the meat once its done cooking)

The Fat Side....

[​IMG]

All Rubbed Up and Ready to go rest in the fridge over night.

[​IMG]

I'm using a Dry Rub called Chipotle Brisket Rub and it has the following.

One quarter cup chipotle pepper powder
    Two tablespoons kosher salt
    One tablespoon ground black pepper
    One tablespoon brown sugar
    One teaspoon cayenne pepper

This is just the start of the view.... I'm gonna get up around 730-8 AM to start this bad boy... Hopefully It will be done by 3 and let it rest for 2 hours in a cooler with towels and be ready for dinner by 5.

2. magic dust is....well...magic! hope you can post some pics of the finished product. are you gonna foil it at all or just smoker till she's done? you smokin this on your masterbuilt electric?

3. Perchy101

Going to foil around the 160 mark and take her up to around 195. Let it sit in a cooler with towels around it for a couple hours and slice and dice.

I have a 7-1 Masterbuilt. Gonna go full flavor hardwood lump with hickory.

4. Perchy101

I think it finally hit the wall.... Its dropped back down 2 degrees to 160.... My grilling temp was lil below 200 so I went ahead and lit some more coal and took a pic.

[​IMG]

5. Looking good!!! Hitting that "wall" can be frustrating....seems like at times it takes hours for it to start climbing again.

6. Perchy101

Its smelling realllly good.... I brought it in to foil and I just wanted to eat it then....

But i'm waiting for the last few degrees to pop up and then she will be going into the cooler for 3 hours.

7. That just sounds too good!!! If I knew where you lived I would have to stop by just to smell it.

8. Perchy101

And here we go.... Wow... What a dinner...

Side View

[​IMG]

All Sliced Up

[​IMG]

Level with the Brisket

[​IMG]

And the dinner plate...

Baked Potato, Corn Bread Muffins, Deep Fried Pickles and Brisket

[​IMG]

9. Hey! you got a wife?

10. Perchy101

I can't say that I do.... :D

11. Wow, looks great , perchy! I like the smoke ring! Were you able to follow your "cuts" that you made at the beginning to slice it?

12. Perchy101

I was able to find em and cut with it... Just made sure I was cutting against the grain.... Didn't want a BBQ Foul....

13. Man that looks good. The first brisket I ever had was the one my late father-in-law smoked for us when we announced our engagement. No rubs just some good red oak. Those things smoked from 8 in the a.m. to 5 p.m. There were whole chickens, sausage and other meats in with the brisket. Man that was some good eating. I think this how they eat in East Texas all the time. The "pit" that he had was so big that it had it's own trailor and had to be hauled by truck. I've tried to get brisket from our local grocers and they look at me like I don't know what I'm talking about. The only brisket you can get around here is the kind that is spiced.

14. Perchy101

Kroger/WalMart/Sams all had briskets... They were all flat style like the one I got... I never did find a "packer" but then again my smoker couldn't handle that big of one..

And if they don't have what you want then head down to the butchers shop and see what they have....

15. Great looking smoke ring! I have a whole (packer's cut) in the freezer from the beef we got last fall. That will be for Memorial Day weekend. The locker in Baltimore actually asked if I wanted the brisket and if so, cut in 2 or the Packer's cut. That was a first for me in Ohio.

I also love your "veggie" side choice!