close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

1. Don't forget Guest the Fishing Tackle Flea Market starts this Thursday! http://www.ohiogamefishing.com/threads/2017-fishing-tackle-flea-market.309634/
    Dismiss Notice

Portage Lakes Fish

Discussion in 'Northeast Ohio Fishing Reports' started by Catfisher101, Mar 16, 2017.

1. I got word that there is Pike and Muskie in parts of Portage Lakes such as the North Reservoir and Long Lake... Is this true???

2. Portage Lakes still have tiger muskie in it. People used to catch them all the time everywhere in Portage Lakes. They are still there, you just don't catch them as much as you used too. I had a huge one that ended up breaking my line a couple years ago when I still fished Portage Lakes.

3. You can fish north reservoir & Long lake for years and I promise you you won't catch a pike or Muskie ever. You might get lucky and catch a chain pickerel in long but that's not even likely. I don't know if you can still catch Muskie in tfoot or east or not. But you'll be wasting your time trying north and long. Not trying to be negative just trying to save you a wild goose chase.

bigsig likes this.
  4. You're more likely to catch a big gar than a pike or muskie. Long lake probably has some pike in it since it's connected to the Tuscarawas River, but I've never caught one there the few times I've fished it.

bobberbucket likes this.
  5. Yep For sure lots of big gar in long and north!

6. Couple years ago had my huge tiger on right outside of turkeyfoot casting those docks just barely in the canal outside of the main lake.

Frankie G and bobberbucket like this.
  7. Like you guys said though, I definitely wouldn't go out trying to catch them on Portage..... When you do it will def be an accident.

bobberbucket likes this.
  8. Nice to hear there's still some roaming Tfoot.

9. Bassbully 52

Bassbully 52 AKA Rip Chum

The number have died way down in all of the PLX. I have not seen a pike or a tiger muskie caught in years. In the late 80- mid 90's I couldn't keep the tigers off at PLX chain..they were everywhere.

bobberbucket likes this.
  10. The wife and I were fishing in the rain last year by this same spot and we saw two of them. I've fished PLX a lot over the years and had no idea they were in there.

mosquito walleye likes this.
  11. I was fishing in the bay next to the old state park ramp early one morning a few years ago when a huge long fish kept surfacing near shore. Looked like it was chasing minnows bait fish. I assumed it was a big gar. I put on a spinnerbait to try and catch it but had no luck. Seen another one once while motoring out to the main lake on a sunny day. Had to be at least 20lbs.

12. brad crappie

brad crappie Angry hillbilly

Need to restock them, it what help thin out the small panfish and help let them grow bigger wake up state!

bobberbucket likes this.
  13. From what I'm told North Reservoir was used By Ohio state university .they had Muskies in it . I actually saw a guy Jack Manda had trying out the Unispin combos land one from shore just acrossed the road from Mandas

bigsig likes this.
  14. Good ole jack and his unispins and guaranteed to catch fish lures memory's! But the key word is they used to have Muskie in the but that's just Not the case now.

15. The panfish are plenty big enough in the portage lakes. It's my go to spot for big panfish! I have no problem catching 10"+ crappie and 8"+ redear every year. Last year was my best for big panfish! Here's a pick of my dad's big one from 5 years ago. I'm still trying to beat it. My best is only 15.5" caught in the same area as his. Plenty of predators in the lakes with big bass and gar and channel cats.

CLEM%202009%2001[1].JPG CLEM%202009%2001[1].JPG

16. Nice slab of a black crappie! That sucker would have probably have went 18" if it's tail weren't beat from spawning.

17. brad crappie

Ni
    nice fish for real true measurement the mouth has got to be closed its over 16

18. brad crappie

Portage still could be better!

bobberbucket likes this.
  19. That was a pre-spawn crappie. Caught in late march or early april. Tail might have been beat up from years of spawning. My dad said it measured 17.5".

I've never seen a better lake for size and numbers of redeared sunfish. I consider the crappie to be a good quality size for the size of the lake, but the number of fish is low. I know that Mosquito and Berlin are better for crappie.

brad crappie likes this.
  20. Bassbully 52

Bassbully 52 AKA Rip Chum

Bad idea they overstocked them in the past and it did not pan out which is why they stopped doing it. The PLX are too small to support such an aggressive fish.