close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

1. For contest details go here: Win Free Tickets to the 2017 Columbus Fishing Expo Good Luck Guest!
    Dismiss Notice

O.River with my Disabled Father

Discussion in 'Ohio River Fishing Reports' started by acklac7, Feb 17, 2017 at 2:16 AM.

1. acklac7

acklac7 S.S.

Im going to try not to get emotional, and im going to try and keep it short.

Me and my Father are very close.

Long story short: My Father is currently in Assisted care in Cincinnati. He has a semi- undiagnosed neurological disorder which I spent 2 years of my life trying every last thing I could to remedy. In the end The Cleveland Clinic basically told us there was likely nothing we could do.

He moved down to Cincinnati about a year ago because I could no longer care for him. From there he, with my Sisters help, decided to pursue Surgery. Im glad to report he is out of a wheelchair and for the last 6 months has been walking with a Walker no-problem. He is near fully autonomous and gets around to all his Dr's Appointments by himself. It's been a rough ride.

Alright, I said I was going to keep it short :)

So...

Im heading down there on Sunday night to spend a few days with him. The Weather is going to be gorgeous, and I want to get him outside, for as long as I possibly can.

What I'd love to do: Somehow, someway, get him out on a Boat, any Boat (Pontoon?) and Target Cats. He's still strong in his upper body and is an Olympic-Class Swimmer (He Swims everyday).

I realize that even if somehow, someway, someone could accommodate him it would still be way too dangerous with the current water temps.

At any rate, if anyone could help get my Dad out on a Boat Catfishing (sometime this year), we would pay. I know it's a long stretch, and probably not realistic, but I figured I would at least try.

What I'd like to do: Get him out somewhere on the Ohio, preferably a Dam with Handicapped access. On a long shot a Dam with Handicapped access thats holding Fish. We can (and will) happily make the drive to wherever. Distance is not a problem. I want to make this a Trip to remember. Im not sure how long he has left.

I hope this doesn't come off the wrong way, But I rarely ask for much on here - usually im on the opposite end of the Spectrum: contributing everything I know, from the heart, to make this place the best it can be.

That said, this time, I could really use some help!

Thanks,

-A.J.

cement569 and Saugeyefisher like this.
  2. Dang AJ, sorry to hear about your father. So awesome that you put time and effort into spending time with him and even want to get spending time in the great outdoors. I would reach out to some of the guys on the SW board to because they really seem like good group all around.

Good luck and I hope you both have an incredible time!

Saugeyefisher likes this.

3. acklac7

acklac7 S.S.

Came back to edit this and tone down the emotions a bit, but decided to just leave it.

Might have it moved to the SW Forum, but for now I'll just leave it hear.

4. Id be happy take you guys out for catfish if we can get it into my schedule, I have a large 19 ft deep v, wide open in the back and plenty of room for the both of you, I agree lets wait until the water temps warm up and the bite gets better, Ill send you a PM with my phone/email etc. I promised myself Id fish the river more for practice this year then years past. So having others along is not a problem.

5. For some reason I knew you would come through salmonid!!!!

BMustang and Daveo76 like this.
  6. GMRcatman

GMRcatman I'm Back!

I rarely post on the boards here anymore, but many guys can vouch for me on here. I would also be happy to take you guys out anytime. You can't go wrong with Mark (Salmonid), just wanted to offer a trip in my boat anytime. BTW, there is no way you would pay anything. I just enjoy meeting new people and putting them on fish.

7. IMG00231-20120725-1752.jpg 0424101107.jpg If you'd like to come to Greenup Dam, we have steps and a very long sidewalk to fish from. Can just sit around and shoot the breeze too. AJ you are a great person, says a lot about you willing to go from one corner of the state to the other. Wish my dad had been around long enough to even meet him. So take advantage. Doesn't get much better than the Ohio River. First 2 are the lower sidewalk and a blue from there and the upper (deck) with my grandson

Last edited: Feb 18, 2017 at 8:44 PM
  8. GMRcatman

GMRcatman I'm Back!

Sent you a pm with my contact info. Safe travels down this weekend.

acklac7 likes this.
  9. acklac7

acklac7 S.S.

Thanks guys.

Sorry for getting long-winded, I needed to get it off my Chest.

Will report back :)

Last edited: Feb 18, 2017 at 2:22 AM
    Daveo76 likes this.
  10. Yup, Dave also hammers a lot of big fish, Ill vouch for him, LOL he has taught me a ton of stuff down there on the river!

acklac7 likes this.