close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

1. Don't forget Guest the Fishing Tackle Flea Market starts this Thursday! http://www.ohiogamefishing.com/threads/2017-fishing-tackle-flea-market.309634/
    Dismiss Notice

NOT a black crappie!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by creekcrawler, Apr 19, 2017.

1. nuttycrappie

nuttycrappie "I have OCD "Obsessive Crappie Disorder"

thats insane now thats a monster slab

2. I want to catch one like that.

3. It's funny that a state's fisheries department has money to spend on DNA testing. o_Oo_Oo_O
    You thing that money could have been spent better. Not knocking the testing, but seems a little excessive to me. Just my opinion.

4. So I wonder if there is a category for hybrid crappie in Illinois? I would be pretty bummed myself to get that news. I mean you think you got it in the bag,then along comes this phone call:(....
    And I can see it happening here in Ohio. The two lakes I fish most often have a good mix of both. Before and after the spawn they both appear easily to tell apart. But sometimes in and around the spawn when they get good color to them it can be tough. We were at alum once an though for sure we had 3/4 male black crappie in the live well until a fish survey guy counted the top spines and corrected us. They were male white crappie. And now i wonder if they were a mix. And it does not seem to effect the over all size like some hybrids.

5. My goodness what a slab.

6. Goes to show just how sneaky and unpredictable black crappie are. Next will come proof of their shape shifting abilities. :eek:

7. Flathead76

Flathead76 Carp53.65

Problem is that Ohio does not recognize hybrid crappie as a state record. Only black and white.

wallen34 likes this.
  8. True, but do they DNA test? I mean as previously stated it can be darn hard to tell the difference. What if one is a hybrid, what are we going with as what it is? Just by looks? Not trying to start anything I'm just very curious as I wasn't aware there was a hybrid crappie category in some states.

Also, I can only assume hybrids exist around here as black and white crappie do. This is all very intriguing to me.

9. Flathead76

Flathead76 Carp53.65

As part of the process a dnr biologist has to identify the fish for a record. If it were a bass record they might do it to make sure that it was not a southern fish.

All Eyes likes this.
  10. Specgrade

Specgrade Wannabe Worm Drowner

That's Thanksgiving dinner right there!

I wonder how old it is?

11. What in the world does one use for bait when targeting 5lb. Crappies?

Saugeyefisher likes this.
  12. Small children

13. triton175

triton175 STX 206 Viper

Juvenile black rat snakes

Gottagofishn likes this.
  14. jonnythfisherteen2

jonnythfisherteen2 Get over here!

Cute, fluffy baby geese.
    Atleast he can ssy that he caught the record hybrid crappie!

15. Wow, that is one pretty and BIG crappie. Probably caught on a Muskie lure:D:D

16. Tom 513

Tom 513 Hopelessly Hooked

A bass lure silly, lol I caught a 20" white from a private pond on a Rage crawdad, black with blue flake. The lake is surrounded by homes and is my honey hole, I could not take the fish, most dont believe I caught it seeing I only have one pic but I know.

Gottagofishn likes this.
  17. Lazy 8

Lazy 8 Gone Fishing...

Looks like a slippery little bugger...

18. DNA testing is not that expensive and if they can reproduce fish like that the expense is well worth it. Have you ever hooked onto a Wiper ?