Ohio Game Fishing banner

first BIG blue cat in YEARS!

2K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  nlcatfish 
#1 ·
September 2nd. I went catfishing from the bank with my brother this morning. We had a total of four rods in the water at 08:00. It was sunny yet cool due to the strong breeze and river was colored.

I was watching my rods when one of them got hammered! Thank goodness I had it tied down or it would have been yanked in the river! When I finally got to the rod I did NOT feel the fish at all. Held the rod for some time then started to reel in the line, the fish had me wrapped on something, then finally came off of it. That is when I felt how big the fish was! I called for my brother to get the dip net opened up for there was NO way I could get this fish out of the river. It seemed forever trying to get that catfish off of the bottom and towards me. I just had to take my time and try to wear it down; no way could I horse that fish. When we saw it we realized that big net could do the job. I was very relieved once that fish was no longer in the river. It was 38 inches and weighed 23 pounds 6 ounces per my digital scale after I subtracted the weight of the dip net. That fish hit a piece of shad oil seasoned chicken breast! The fish was returned to the river hopefully to have someone else experience the same thrill I had fighting it.

That was ONLY bite and 1 light tap we had in 3 ½ hours of fishing. My brother even had a fresh skipjack he cut up for his 2 rods, nothing hit them. We both have the feeling that part of the river has been depleted of fish by commercial fishermen. We packed it in around 11:30 had big thrill to start the day anyway. A friend there had some extra skipjacks that he gave us, so I now have them as bait for my next boat trip

Author of Kindle e-book "ROD BENDING CATFISH"

See less See more
#4 ·
i'll have to say your one guy that has a stick to it attitude. but I guess there is a lot of guys that just enjoys the fishing as much as the catching. I use to make a lot of trips to dale hollow for the white bass and walleye runs. sometimes we would hit the run and have great success. other times not so much. but we kept going for a lot of yrs. it was just nice to get out fishing early in the yr and enjoy the warmer weather we usually had down there.
sherman

#10 ·
Finally have time to up load the photos of the big bluecat. I was so worn out from fighting the fish I had a hard time picking it up for the pictures. My brother took 2 photos with his camera. I then put the fish down so he could get a photo with my digital camera. wished it had turned out better. The black out is to make it harder for the commercial fishermen to find that spot!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.