close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

1. Don't forget Guest the Fishing Tackle Flea Market starts this Thursday! http://www.ohiogamefishing.com/threads/2017-fishing-tackle-flea-market.309634/
    Dismiss Notice

Deer Creek payed off!

Discussion in 'Central Ohio Fishing Reports' started by slabseeker, Apr 15, 2017.

1. slabseeker

slabseeker Crappies, heat up the fryer please!

Went to Deer Creek yesterday hoping to fill the livewell with some slabs. Noticed everybody was targeting brush, trees and banks picking up a few males. Found the big girls staged in open water 7' to 10' flats off of breaks into deeper drops. The slightest of change in break would pay off before the drop. Chartruese was the choice in color and small hair jigs tipped with minnow through the head was the ticket for my success. They were holding close to bottom 1' to 2' above. Ended up with my limit in about 4 hours and only had to throw back about half dozen shorties. Average was 10 to 12 inch and one 13 1/2 incher. Drift to find the staged females off of these breaks and mark, then target with this presentation. Water temp was 62.5 degrees. Hope it pays off for you. Good luck!

2. kfi

kfi

Nice write up. Sounds like you had a nice pattern working

3. slabseeker

Yes it has. Went again yesterday with the same results and limit. Wife and I just got back today and limited out in 3 hours. There was only one other rig in the lot at ramp. Today we even managed a monster 17 1/4 inch beast. Today they wanted tinsel jigs tipped with minnow, chartruese and pink 9' to 11' flats before drop into deeper edges. The big girls are still staged in open water waiting for that magic time. You can get plenty smaller males close and tight to cover everywhere there now. If you want the fat chicks find them staged in open water off of breaks. This method has always paid off for me at several different lakes within my region C.J. , Ceasars and Kiser over the years. Kiser has always been a good lake and favorite with this method for years in the North bay. But my back can't take the punishment in a canoe for long hours like before. You will always pick up a stragler female of any size on brush now and then. Open water on edges is always were I fish in April and some years in early May depending on what type of Spring weather we have had and water temps. Most people don't realize that females move in shallow only for a few or couple days to lay and are not easily catchable while doing so. They then move back to edges usually in deeper water in the 12' and above range to gorge on shad after laying. Remember this time of year is when most bigger shad come in close to rip rap areas and the smaller fry shad are hovering around channels, breaks and humps. Find the smaller shad fry and you will find the fat chicks at the buffet line feeding heavy before laying. If you see a red Lund 16' Dlx model tiller running around Deer Creek with 25 H.p. Mercury give me a shout and will show you how to target with this method. I plan on being there early Tuesday morning. I will be at Indian targeting some eyes tomorrow hoping with some good success.

4. ReadHeaded Hunter

ReadHeaded Hunter Scale splitter

Are you going to be out there Wednesday or Thursday during the day?

5. kfi

kfi

Thanks for the sage advice. This is my second year of chasing slabs the majority of the time. I'm located north central so don't get down that way too often. I was out yesterday on Delaware with three young-uns (13, 10, & 8) and kind of by mistake I think we got onto a pattern similar to what you describe. We started along a creek channel catching a few and with the winds being pretty strong we ended up drifting off the channel and out onto a big flat in 6-8' of water. We would get bites in little spurts out on the flat and the quality definitely improved.

What weight tinsel jigs are you using? You hand tie those or buy them? I've read some good stuff about those but haven't yet tried em out.

Again, thanks for the great insight.

6. slabseeker

No, I unfortunately have to return to work Wednesday. Well, I could come down with Crappieitis! I will keep you posted.

7. slabseeker

No problem.

8. Brahmabull71

Brahmabull71 Legend in the Making

Delaware is on fire. Vertical presentation dipping brush with long poles. Caught with and without meat. Also just casting 1/32 and 1/16 ounce jigs and twister or paddle tails. White marabou jigs with casting float tipped with wax worms did well. As mentioned, larger females were out a little deeper with tons of males right on the wood. We found 64.5 degree water. My 4 & 5 year olds had a blast!
    IMG_1062.JPG

Skippy, MDBuckeye, cane pole and 4 others like this.
  9. slabseeker

VMC 1/16 and 1/8 ounce. Outlet Bait & Tackle has clearance sales every year on them during the winter months.

10. slabseeker

Nice pic! Have yet to take my grandsons yet.

11. Brahmabull71

Brahmabull71 Legend in the Making

Sorry for the hijack!

12. Big fish 17.25 I would like to see a picture of that one . Thanks for the report . I will look you up.

13. slabseeker

Have no smart phone, but pm me and I can send you pic by text once I get your number.

14. Hey Slab I am going to Deer Creek Tues. Taking. A buddy we will be in Red Lund 1775 with 115 Mercury OptiMax no kicker, hope to see ya!

15. slabseeker

Change of plans for me. Pounded the saugeye today at Indian, going back there in the morning. Will catch you on the water sometime another day. Good luck!

MDBuckeye and angler69 like this.
  16. slabseeker

Have a feeling it was one of those Lake Choctaw slabs that has made it's way through the creeks and Madison Lake down to Deer Creek. Just like how the occasional wipers make their way down. Choctaw has monster crappie in that lake.

angler69 likes this.
  17. I hit Deer Creek yesterday with my 6 year old daughter. We caught a lot of crappie right along the channel. She even managed to catch 2 fish Ohio crappie which I submitted today. I was surprised to find the crappie are still in deeper water or along the channel instead of up in the shallows. They should be there real soon though with this nice weather.

angler69 likes this.
  18. Went to D.C. Today caught loads of 9 1/2 to 11 inch crappie most 8-10' deep Chart. And pink were hot! Tried up shallow caught a few of the smaller ones and just a few that were turning black. 61° out deep 65° up in shallow coves

19. slabseeker

Thanks for the update! Burned up the saugeyes again yesterday at Indian. Might have to make it back down to Deer Creek tomorrow for some more slab action. Wife and I are headed back to Indian today to put the smack down on some eyes.

20. sharp33

sharp33 Never pay back always pay forward !

Sounds like I better get over there . Just got back from Pickwick lake in Alabama . The crappie down there are downright huge . But I didn't even come close to a 17 incher !