close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Featured Coyote massacre.

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by Scum_Frog, Mar 19, 2017 at 10:56 PM.

1. Scum_Frog

Scum_Frog Set The Hook`

Buddy of mine got hooked up with a gentleman from central Ohio who has a few dogs trained to run coyotes. They've been running them up in my area on land we have permission for and so far after today we've taken 32 coyotes. It has been a crazy time so far and still plan on going more. We are hoping to hit 50 by end of April. This is all within about 10 miles or so. Here's a few pics of some of the Yotes. ImageUploadedByOhub Campfire1489978505.326847.jpg ImageUploadedByOhub Campfire1489978518.411762.jpg ImageUploadedByOhub Campfire1489978527.158414.jpg ImageUploadedByOhub Campfire1489978535.679936.jpg ImageUploadedByOhub Campfire1489980515.116093.jpg

Last edited: Mar 19, 2017 at 11:28 PM
  2. Lazy 8

Lazy 8 Gone Fishing...

3. RMK

RMK

a good group and some good dogs can really put up some coyote numbers. a good coyote chase is a lot of fun. i m fortunate to be able to hunt with a group in my area that have some good dogs as well. wish we would get a winter with some snow again one of these years!

Scum_Frog likes this.
  4. beaver

beaver swamp crawler

I've always wanted to try that, but we don't have tracts of land down here that are large enough to run coyote hounds without ending up trespassing. Looks like a blast. Good job.

5. Doboy

Doboy HeWhoDiesWithTheMostToysWins

Wow! That's fantastic.
    I went out 3 times calling,,, with 2 other OGF members about a month or two ago,,, just seen 1.
    I wish that you were hunting farther South,,, near Dresden. Those yotes are all around our old hunting camp. Muskingum River area.
    Will the coyotes run a circle, like a deer, fox or rabbit? If so, how large of an area?
    At Night? Shotguns?
    Thanks!

Scum_Frog likes this.
  6. Scum_Frog

Scum_Frog Set The Hook`

All ours is done during the day.....for safety reasons we run shotguns only W/Buckshot. On running circles, they do depending the set up....they will also run a straight line for miles and miles depending terrain. Yesterday we had one double back twice once sneaking passed everyone but luckily we had a guy set up behind us on a fence row and he cut out into the field at 60 yards and he dumped him. We have had the dogs run a coyote on hard ground a few miles. Eventually we may go more south but as of right now we are trying to do some damage in our area. My buddies have done a lot of work getting permission on continuous sets of land so we do not trespass. It isnt hard to get permission around us though knowing almost everyone and for the purpose of our hunts. We try to stay away from main roads as well just in case the dogs do push a Yote far and cross a road.

7. nuttycrappie

nuttycrappie "I have OCD "Obsessive Crappie Disorder"

After you shoot them can you do anything with the hide can you get some money for it or do you bury the animal.

8. Scum_Frog

Scum_Frog Set The Hook`

The gentleman with the dogs takes all the Coyote's and tan's the hide. He takes all of them to help pay for his fuel!

9. AtticaFish

AtticaFish Jiggin Freak

If you can keep a tail or 2, i could tie you up enough smallmouth hair jigs to last you several years. ;) Good to see you are taking down the numbers..... i hear them almost every night at my house and even had one up in my yard chasing our cats about a month back. I went out after it with my head lamp and it circled me 3 different times but never got close enough to it.

Scum_Frog likes this.
  10. Scum_Frog

Scum_Frog Set The Hook`

I may take you up on that i'll let you know if i can keep one.....Also if you want try to get some permission for the property there and we will run the dogs through it and see what we can do!

11. nuttycrappie

nuttycrappie "I have OCD "Obsessive Crappie Disorder"

So what is a coyotes hide use for in the market place . I find this interesting info by no means dont take this the wrong way.

12. beaver

beaver swamp crawler

They're used for fur garments, mainly trim when they're caught during the prime fur season.

When they aren't "prime" they're used more for decoration "wall hangers" and taxidermy.

13. RMK

RMK

alot of our furs are sold to china and russia and mainly used for trim and lining of garments.

14. Scum_Frog

Scum_Frog Set The Hook`

To be flat out honest I dont ask him. He's doing us a favor coming up and running his dogs in our area to help us so I dont get into the $$$ portion on it. I do know it isnt that great right now, Fur as a general is down. Someone on here who trap's may know though?

15. beaver

beaver swamp crawler

It's definitely not a worth while venture right now. He's probably not even paying for his gas honestly. There is a lot of work that goes into properly putting the fur up for very little return in today's market.

There is some money to be made by having the hide tanned and then selling as decor on ebay, but the initial cost is pretty high.

Scum_Frog likes this.
  16. Its unbelievable how the population has grown. I am seeing them more and more here is Canal Winchester and they don't seem to be to afraid which is not good.