close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

1. Don't forget Guest the Fishing Tackle Flea Market starts this Thursday! http://www.ohiogamefishing.com/threads/2017-fishing-tackle-flea-market.309634/
    Dismiss Notice

Coin Collectors

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by FISHIN 2, Mar 19, 2017.

1. Any coin collectors on here. Neighbor has asked me to price a few coins and looking for a starting point, any help here ? She has a few 1900 silver dollars, one I believe 1899, a few silver dimes in the 1900, now I know where they came across the " One Thin Dime " saying, and a few other coins. Thanks in advance, Mike

Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
  2. Condition is everything.
    Unless they're a very rare year. Most old silver coins with more than a little wear are worth they're scrap silver weight.

3. Most library branches will have a book on american coin prices. You can check and see what mint marks for which years could be worth more. As stated, condition helps or hurts value.

4. Ruminator likes this.
  5. I,seen those silver dollars sell for $18.00 each. at a coin shop.

Ruminator likes this.
  6. baitguy

baitguy catchin my own bait since 1958

the coin books are a good place to start, but as has been mentioned, condition means a lot, as well as the scarcity of that particular coin ... how many were minted is a decent indicator, even though some of those silver dollars are over 100 yrs old, they might not be worth more than $15-25 ... an Indian Head penny may be worth 1000 times face value ... which is 10 bucks ... another one might be worth $100 ... dealers will take them, most of the older ones will net you at maybe 50% of book value, maybe less, depending on how fast they think they can turn them over ... your best bet is find out what they're worth and sell them to a private collector, maybe then you'll maybe get 75-80% ... you have to know their value and hold out for a reasonable offer ... there are forums just like this that deal with coins ... you can take them to a coin shop and see what they'd offer, then you'd have some sort of benchmark ... good luck in your quest ...

7. Thanks a lot fella's, a place to start.. Mike

8. Dealers for silver back 15 r 20 years would give you 3 times face. A silver quarter would be 75 cents. Silver has gone up since then so I am not sure. Always can call a shop and see what they buy junky silver coin for and at least you got a minimum value. If you think they look pretty sharp with little wear, they may be worth more.

FISHIN 2 likes this.