Ohio Game Fishing banner

Carry open or other wise when did you start

11K views 102 replies 23 participants last post by  MIGHTY 
#1 ·
I started on the farm in 1970 at 10 years old (wild dogs) Grandpaw said if you se one shoot it.... The only time since with out was school. Had to keep it in the truck or on a horse.

#3 ·
I started at about 12, after suffering a dog bite that required 20 some stitches and a couple other lesser bites.
I had a holster sewn in my newspaper bag for a Ruger 22 auto. My route took me in and out of limits of small
town I lived in. Back in early 60s it was no big deal for a kid to have a 22. Never got a bad bite again, and
there weren't as many dogs around as there was before.

#17 · (Edited)
I lived out side of barnsville . Near piedmont when Dillon was around

You put holes in your pelts.
I started carrying when a serial killer in my local area was killing hunters and fisherman. I believe it was 1989. Thomas Dillion was the killers name if you goggle it you can read about it. Don't know if he would have got me cause he was a sniper type but I had hope. I figure he is still in prison!
10/ 21/ 11 was a good day. that a hole died.

#5 ·
I just started carrying recently but I don't leave home without something. I started carrying a Government size 1911 in a shoulder holster when back in the woods or wading. I carry a j frame in summer and a light weight Colt Commander or a Shield around town now depending on clothing choice. I don't need as stout a belt with the Shield but it's also a little thicker so it's a trade off. I don't know if I'm any safer but I feel safer.

#7 ·
I live in the sticks, when stream fishing I carry a 63 S&W, I was carrying a 422S&W but couldn't shoot it as well
as revolver. In woods I carry a 17 S&W. These are all 22s, but I don't worry about them not being up to anything
I might need them for. A 22hp will make anything sick enough to take its mind of me. If I go somewhere that
there may be "health hazards" I carry a Walther PP. It's flat and comfortable to carry and dependable.

#23 ·
There were a lot of people investigated by the law. They had a profile of the shooter that ended up matching
Dillion 100%. The investigators had 3 nuts in our area that they were looking at. They were looking for people
that purchased 7x57mm rifles and ammo. It was a wierd feeling to be out hunting or fishing, to worry if you
were in some nuts crosshairs. I had a experience one day when walking down a fence line with a rifle. The
Law came by and stopped and ordered me to drop the gun and come up to the road. Lucky for me there was
a local Deputy with them that knew me. Dillon had everyone on edge, people were afraid to go hunting and
fishing in the rural areas. If you saw the capture, he was just getting ready to shoot a girl jogging when they
decided they could wait no longer.

#25 ·
When I got discharged from the Military in 1973, carried an illegal concealed weapon on me until I decided to become legal about 3 years ago and got my CCW. I figured the Military trained me, sent me off to Viet Nam a few times so they trusted me:).

Dillon, the piece of **** that burned down my grandfathers 1800's log framed farm house. What a piece or work he was!!!!

#32 ·
I started carrying when a serial killer in my local area was killing hunters and fisherman. I believe it was 1989. Thomas Dillion was the killers name if you goggle it you can read about it. Don't know if he would have got me cause he was a sniper type but I had hope. I figure he is still in prison!
I used to work with his brother. I bow hunted a lot Egypt Valley down by Piedmont Lake. The hotel we stayed at was her nephew got killed they thought it was drugs. But it was Dillion.

#34 ·
From Denohio...I started carrying when a serial killer in my local area was killing hunters and fisherman. I believe it was 1989. Thomas Dillion was the killers name if you goggle it you can read about it. Don't know if he would have got me cause he was a sniper type but I had hope. I figure he is still in prison!....

from columbus dispatch;
http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2011/10/21/Dillon-dies.html

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.