Ohio Game Fishing banner

Canada small mouth (Halley's Camp) ?

2K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  ringmuskie9 
#1 ·
There are a couple of us doing a fly in trip with Halley's camp in July this year. The lake is located in the NE part of Ontario and is mainly a small mouth lake they say (lots of rocks). I have never fished a lake that is all small mouth. I was wondering for those that have targeted smallies up north what is a good bait? I heard that the drop shot is good and plan to stock up on some of that (I don't know if color matters). Weight is also going to be an issue as we are only allowed 100 lbs per person. Basspro has a lot of their stuff on sale and wanted to stock up and save some money but wasn't sure what I should be looking for. If anyone has any info I would appreciate any tips. Thanks in advance guys.

#2 ·
use the same as you use here. Tubes,pop-r' small cranks. The lake might be featuring small mouth but I would imagine you will find some other fish there. 100# of gear is doable if you watch what take. Good fishing and make a report when you get back.

#3 ·
4 inch Chartruse Yammomoto and 3 Inch Kalin Blue Pearl Salt and Pepper Grubs on 3/16th jig heads tops my list.

Rapala Skitter Frog and Pop-Rs for sure.

3/8 oz White Spinner baits for shallow weeds, and a Johnson Silver Minnow also produces.

I'm yet to catch my first fish via drop shot. Doesn't make it right or wrong, just un-necessary unless your lake is DEEP.

I too, suspect there are pike and probably walleye. Run the above off of 8 inch - 18 lb South Bend Invisa-Leaders and no problem.

I'd take a few SR-7 Shad Raps for walleye as well.

#4 ·
Throw in a pack (or two) of solid black (if you can find them) tube jigs, and either jig or swim them in deeper water off points or drops. In July some of those larger SM Bass will drop down to deeper water, and these black tubes look like leeches. Have a safe (and fun) trip - btw, almost anything swimming will hit these black tubes.

#6 ·
I have been north many times fishing for smallies and my go to baits are as follows
1) Berkley power worms 4 inch ( plain black, black chart tail, motor oil chart tail , green pumkin seed ) I also like zoom finesse worms.
2)A black and frog color jitterbug is a must . Northern smallies are notorious top water feeders . Wait til a pike crushes it.
3) 1/4 to 3/8 oz hildebrandt spinnerbait gold blades, black or chart skirt with a white twin tail grub . Pike also love these .
4) Rapala shadow raps . They are expensive but smallies love them.

Just my 2 cents worth.

#9 ·
Round head, stand-up or other jig head type?

#13 ·
Another thing to take into consideration is water clarity and your line selection. We use the dark green power pro. We have tried everything and this has seemed to work the best. Another is the technique we use to jig the crawlers, I have taken friends up before that really struggle to feel the bite. We simply cast out and slowly work the bait back, just slowly lifting and feeling for weight. Its a blast. We usually go the first week in July and depending on the winter we have sometimes still found the bass on their beds.

#15 ·
Thanks again guys. We will be fishing the last week of July. Looks like I will have to pick up some 1/4 oz jig heads. Never really thought about line choice. I have a few poles rigged up with the suffix green color and really like it. I bought some sticks baits for the drop shot. That seems to be what a lot of people catch them on.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.