close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Auto Bilge Pump Advice

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by chalkjockey, Feb 17, 2017.

1. New Member here. I am going to have my boat docked all summer. Normally I would trailer it to the lake and launch it. run the bilge before loading up.
    I am looking for some advice on the most reliable auto bilge pump. I have a 16' Tracker Superguide.

Thanks in advance.

2. If your currect pump is manual, I would wire a separate external switch in parallel plus a second pump with and external switch. External switches should be wired directly to battery. I had too many self contained switches get fouled to trust them when I wasn't around.

crappiedude likes this.

3. I agree with everything ShortDrift said.....But the most reliable brand I have used is a Rule with an external switch. Size it to your boat / hose size.

4. I have a "water witch" switch on my pumps.
    Haven't had any issues with it, seem to work good.
    No more of the old style float switches that randomly stick and kill the battery!
    https://waterwitchinc.com/product/model-101-bilge-switch/
    I think you can find them on amazon for around $40

5. Old boat had float style, pia. makes me wonder whats in the new boat..

6. Interesting comments on external float swith reliability. I had them installed on my four Erie boats and never had a problem. they were installed to acuate at a level above the manufacturer supplied pump with internal switch. I did periodically clean the bilge on all my boats with a marine bilge cleaner in an effort to reduce the possible corrosion and flotsam problems. Worked for me.

7. Thanks for all of the good advice. Probably will add on an auto version wired to the battery after I weed out all the good, bad and ugly reviews we find on every product nowadays.
    Good fishing to all..

8. In my larger boats I always had 2 , one located in the stern above the rudder and one located mid-ship. These boats were always docked and 3way switches for pumps were always switched on. My Lund has an auto in the stern only but is always on.