close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

1. Don't forget Guest the Fishing Tackle Flea Market starts this Thursday! http://www.ohiogamefishing.com/threads/2017-fishing-tackle-flea-market.309634/
    Dismiss Notice

2017 walleye run

Discussion in 'Northwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by Rjallen683, Jan 25, 2017.

1. Really considering giving the walleye run a try this year. This would be my first time up there for this and by the looks of pictures online and the crowds seem to be nothing I have ever experienced before. I fish the white bass run on Sandusky river but the spot I go to is nothing close to this. Anyone have any do's and dont's before I head up and piss some people off.

DenOhio and Saugeyefisher like this.
  2. I'm not sure how your angling skills are, but go down there and watch the guys around you.

I have fished the Sandusky and Maumee and they are two totally different circuses!

The runs in the Sandusky are a hit or miss, and so are the crowds. You'll probably have a better time on the Maumee with more opportunities for fish, but if the Sandusky is closer I'd stay there.

Go to a local tackle shop and get your floating jig heads, your weights, and a proper spinning reel outfit. Don't forget the braided line with a monofilament leader.

Get there early in the morning and pick out a spot. Typically the holes on the east bank by the two bridges produce best.

Saugeyefisher and DenOhio like this.

3. I'm a pretty decent angler. I know how to cast in sequence. As far as shoulder to shoulder how close is too close.

DenOhio likes this.
  4. when close is to close ? in combat fishing generally the maumee is when the guys stringer in the water is hitting your leg.. but at freemont its just how many tangles each other puts up with...:confused:

the_waterwolf and DenOhio like this.
  5. DenOhio

DenOhio If your gonna be stupid you better be tough

My nephew and I may give it a go this year too. But after chatting with some buddies that go every year, I think I'm taking my smaller boat. I'm not sure of boat traffic and such so it will be a learning curve I'm sure. Still I think it will (maybe?) be better than the shoulder to shoulder event they have shared photos of. I sure would be open to ideas from any boaters. Am I better off in a small boat? Maybe not?

6. If you have a boat, I'd use it. Just make sure that you know the river well. Aside from random debris floating downstream you will not want to hit a shallow rock pile or a random large boulder, of which there are several in the Sandusky.

Make sure that you have a decent fish finder and you can locate small school of walleyes in the holes downstream. Otherwise, just get up early to beat the crowd and wade to the known spots.

7. DenOhio

Thank you for the advice. I will no way know the river but I have decent electronics even on the small boat. I'm a bit worried running rivers that are shallow even with depth finders and such as I managed to bang into a sudden rock pile once on a river in Michigan. I'm retired so I'm thinking of maybe getting up there early to check out the water. My buddies have caught pretty incredible stingers up there. They say the water levels change too which also concerns me a tad.

8. homerun

homerun Erie Bytes Fishing Team

If you're in a boat, make sure that you're extra cautious, especially on the Maumee. Years ago, my dad and I were fishing just upstream from Sidecut and unfortunately saw at least one boater lose his life. The current can be difficult. The best spots for boaters are further downstream, both in the Sandusky and Maumee.

crestliner TS and DenOhio like this.
  9. odell daniel

odell daniel cheeryo

I'd make sure you have strong braid line,for sensitivity and wont lose as many jigs, bring your heavier bass rods so when you do catch a fish you can control where the fish is landed, the current is strong and the fish will use it, otherwise you will be chasing your fish down the river and someone else will probably net it for you. good luck! I'm talking Fremont.

Saugeyefisher and DenOhio like this.
  10. Isn't there a start time when your allowed to fish . When u say get there early are you referring to standing in the water before sunrise. I assumed the reason for the time restrictions was to keep poeople out of the water during dark hours for safety reasons. I heard that odnr are like swat during the run.

the_waterwolf and DenOhio like this.
  11. like you said with the dnr they hide in the bushes with high powered optics and watch everyone, just check the regs, hook size,hours, locations, ect. its combat fishin .. period

the_waterwolf likes this.
  12. Most launch boats at the Maple Street launch on the Perrysburg side. Do yourself a favor and drive to it first, and then watch the path that most take upstream. Some go behind Audobon island (deep channel back there) but some go right up the gut (depends on water level). Trust me..you need to watch some boats go upstream before trying it yourself. Boats can really only make it up to Schroeders campground. Beyond that...no way. 99% of the boats that fish the river launch at either Maple Street or at Orleans park. Maple Street has much deeper water and a dock, whereas Orleans will require waders, and that water is very shallow there, and it pretty much sucks for launching a boat bigger than 14'.

I can't express to you how important it is to have your safety equipment in order for the river. A lot of anchor (i.e. 30# +) and adequate rode to go along with it. The current is strong and swift in many spots (bottlenecks) and you really have to be careful. It used to be that boating was the way to go for the river to get away from the crowds, but now that isn't true. There are more boats in the river now than I can ever remember, and being honest they create just as much of a clusterbomb with one another as do the wader fisherman. Sure, it is more comfortable, but the best times I have had fishing from the boat is when the water was high, and the wader fisherman access was limited to a few places downstream.

As far as "marking schools of fish in holes" I think some clarification is in order. You will be fishing in water that is less than 5' deep. A "hole" might only be the size of your living room. Most areas that are fished are more like 2-4' deep. When the run is going strong, there will be fish everywhere in the river. Fast water, holes, gravel bars, etc. etc. Having said that, the likelihood of you getting to fish exactly where you want to fish will be predicated on just how much effort you are willing to put into securing that spot. I've sat in my boat for 2 hours before legal fishing time on tournament day. Was it worth it? Yep. Would I do it every time? No way, because no matter what you try to do, there will be others that do everything they can to screw you up. Most of the time it is out of ignorance, other times it is just because they believe they can do what they want, and who is going to stop them?

In the time I have fished the river, the best places I have found to consistently encounter fish have been in the tail-out sections after a set of rapids. Sure, you'll see guys pulling fish out of the heavy water running through big boulders, but those aren't the fish that I am targeting, and adding to that you lose a heck of a lot of tackle fishing them. As the years go by, I find myself fishing the river less and less during the prime time (typically March 20th-April 15th) and more-so later in April and early May.

Keeping everything in perspective here...if you have a boat big enough to fish the lake, don't mess with the river. You'll catch more fish consistently on the lake, and that's a fact. Don't let anyone fool you.....limits out of the river are NOT an everyday occurrence and those that do get a limit most days are busting their butts to do so and putting in a ton of time.

Good luck. Won't be long now.

13. DenOhio

I was thinking of perhaps launching the boat and scoping out the river prior to the start of the fishing but maybe that's not something you can do? I have no idea of boat ramps or the distance from them to the available fishing spots. Having some idea of what the heck I'm in store for would for sure be beneficial. Maybe my small boat won't have enough juice with a 9.9hp to overcome the currents? I really did not want to put my bigger boat in there. I know the area is policed heavily and from what I hear from friends is the fines are stiff. I don't need to be paying fines and crap. I'm more afraid of performing some dumb thing I'm not aware of and get some big fine. As for fish numbers I only want to get a couple for me to eat so I won't have issues with that. The big part of me doing it is to watch the all the folks as well as catching a few. I assume the boats anchor in those currents? I'm assuming maybe wrong that they do? I have several type anchors but now I wonder if they are large enough to hold?

14. homerun

homerun Erie Bytes Fishing Team

This is one of the best pieces of advice. I have caught walleye into late May on the Maumee and mid May on the Sandusky without the heavy pressure and stress of the combat fishing.

15. DenOhio

Wow that's so helpful! Thank you so much!!!! That is a ton of information that was much needed! Hoping I could help you out if you ever come down this way!

chaunc likes this.
  16. DenOhio

Thank you above words buddy!

BFG likes this.
  17. midoh39

midoh39 member

What I've learned over the years and especially the last 4 years is that it can be very fun and very frustrating. As BFG said limits won't happen every day but when you find areas that regularly hold fish, you will have a great experience. I have only waded during the run and I can tell that the volume of fishermen has gone up. I used to be able to find a spot right before or after sunrise. Last year my buddy and I had to get there way before sunrise to get to our good spots. I might make the drive from Indy once or twice to fish with my buddy. I wish I had a boat, shoulder room was lacking for much of last year.

DenOhio likes this.
  18. DenOhio

Thanks, I think I'm going to take the boat for sure but now I'm considering the lake too. Being retired I have more time then some so I'm going to do some research on both. I'm not sure about being shoulder to shoulder as I have fished like that lots of times. It's fine as long as folks are somewhat respectable. I appreciate all the feed back. I think my plan is to just get a hotel room close by and stay for a week or more. Getting out before sunrise sounds like not a fun thing to do lol.

19. linebacker43

linebacker43 S.S Mud Dobber

I couldn't agree more. I started off as a wader years ago. Was finally able to get a boat and use it on the river. Now like stated, the boat fishing is just as bad IMO then shoulder to shoulder combat fishing. We go to the lake now and dont mess with the river. It all depends on how much you want to put up with. I would rather drift, relax, and catch fish!

DenOhio likes this.
  20. There's plenty of resident walleye in the Maumee year round. I havent hit the run in over 20 years. After seeing a fist fight in a parking lot i said it's not worth dealing with the idiots.