Ohio Game Fishing

Go Back  Ohio Game Fishing Community > Ohio Fishing Reports > Lake Erie Fishing Reports >

Anchor for Erie

Lake Erie Weather | Lake Erie Wave Forcasts & Temps| Free Maps & Charts| Lake Erie Lake Cams| Charter Captains| Marinas & Dealers| Lodging

this forum is sponsored by: South Shore Marine

Old 06-02-2008, 04:54 PM   #1
Mad-Eye Moody

Default Anchor for Erie

Perching in the chop Saturday I realized my light weight digger anchor didn't have what it takes for my newer boat. What do you guys use? I am looking at a Richter anchor, in the 18 to 25 pound range. My boat is 18 feet.

My initial thought was to get an 18 pounder then carry a second 12 mound mushroom to attach with 50 feet of line to the Richter so that if it lifts, the second anchor will hold if I am Perch fishing.

Register today to remove this advertisement IT'S FREE

Old 06-02-2008, 05:29 PM   #2
OSU Bull
OSU Bull

I use a Danforth. It might not be your anchor though. Do you have a chain attached to it? If not, add at least 4 foot of heavy chain. What was your ratio of line out vs. depth? Best holding power is at 7:1. If you can't achieve that with other boats around, then try for at least 4:1. Where did you have the anchor attached to? Bow or Stern? My guess would be that it's your setup, not the anchor, but I could be wrong. Sunday was not a choppy day by any means, IMO.
OSU Bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 05:38 PM   #3
Bobinstow90

Danforth or water spike seems to work and store well...and they arent too heavy. Set up is critical especially on Erie and how you deploy it can make the difference in bumpy water.

Might check out the USCG. They have recommendations on equipment and deployment.

Good luck...be safe out there.
Bobinstow90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 06:43 PM   #4
cw261

Here is a link to another anchor post - Shortdrift, Hetfield and myself have waterspike anchors, which work well (and retrieve easily) if deployed properly.

Although it would be a good workout, you probably don't want to have to pull up a 25 pound anchor several times looking for perch.

http://www.ohiogamefishing.com/commu...ad.php?t=89442
cw261 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 07:21 PM   #5
Hook N Book
The Original Hot Rod

I use a Richter as my primary anchor and it works just fine. But as OSU Bull mentioned, a 4-6 ft. section of chain is critical and the amount of line is equally important.

Good Luck and be Safe...See Ya!
Hook N Book is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 08:56 PM   #6
triton175

I've read on this, and several other posts, that a length of chain is very important. Can someone please explain why this is true? I have trouble at times on inland lakes and I think I have a good anchor and plenty of rope, but no chain.
Thanks,
Brian
Old 06-02-2008, 09:37 PM   #7
Mad-Eye Moody

Ill check those other types. I am guessing the chain does the same thing the second anchor would, absorbs some of the bump. I was out Saturday, not Sunday in solid 4 and 5 footers, though my anchor doesnt hold in 2 footers unless it digs in.

I hook to the bow eye, so I am minimizes the drag. Ill check out the other styles.
Old 06-02-2008, 09:42 PM   #8
c. j. stone

The chain helps the anchor dig in instead of dragging. Also, if you try to anchor from the stern, even in mild chop, the wind resistance/force will be abt. 4 times greater than the bow attached anchor. In rough seas, your boat cannot haul the amount of chain you will need if stern anchored.
c. j. stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 10:30 PM   #9
Hetfieldinn
Hetfield Charters

The Waterspike is the best anchor I have ever used. It's light, and breaks down into two pieces for easy storage. Gander Mt had them for $39 last time I was down there.
Hetfieldinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 10:40 PM   #10
Fishers of Men

here's the deal, a "fortress" (you can see the recommended sizes):
Depending on what you can afford, light and dig like crazy. Throw 5 ft chain on and forget it.
http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...:referralID=NA
Matt 4:19
fomsportfishing.com
Fishers of Men is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 12:44 AM   #11
freyedknot
useless poster

Default got 1 for ya

hey kevin i have a couple of the heavy danforth style you could try out. 15 lbrs should do it.try one ,b4 you spend the bucks for a new one.
freyedknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 09:41 AM   #12
Mad-Eye Moody

Default Waterspike

I checked out the waterspike on Cabela's online. It sure doesnt look like much, but will try it out based on everyones recommendations.

I will also borrow one from you Freyed and try it as a second anchor. I know that in really rough water a second "hopper" anchor can be the key.
Old 06-03-2008, 03:40 PM   #13
Two Hip
Perch Killer

Thumbs up 4# Fortress

I am with FOM. My 4# Fortress digs in fast with 5' of chain, and holds my
23' 3000# boat in 5 to 7s without letting loose one time. Besides the light weight is worth every penny when the wife is able to handle the grounding tackle with ease.
Two Hip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 03:43 PM   #14
boatnut

Quote:
Originally Posted by triton175 View Post
I've read on this, and several other posts, that a length of chain is very important. Can someone please explain why this is true? I have trouble at times on inland lakes and I think I have a good anchor and plenty of rope, but no chain.
Thanks,
Brian
most anchors rely on horizontal pull to dig in and hold. This is why the amount of "scope" or line out is important. the more line you let out the more horizontal the pull becomes. the chain will help give you more initial horizontal pull. 7 to 1 is preferred for overnight anchoring. 10 to 1 may be needed in storm conditions. 3 to 1 is considered a "lunch hook"but probably wouldnt hold in open water/waves. this means that if you are in 30' of water you should have 210 of line out for a 7 to 1 scope. Not to many small boat owners carry that much. sometimes you can rig a "sentinel", which is a weight of some kind , slid part way down the line to increase horizontal pull on short scope's. 6' of 3/8" chain will do wonders.
boatnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 04:28 PM   #15
Two Hip
Perch Killer

Default Rode

My rode is 5' of 3/8" chain and 250' of 1/2" 3 strand nylon blend rope for some strech. You can never have to much rope on hand!
Two Hip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 04:45 PM   #16
freyedknot
useless poster

yes the coast guard said i need at least 3 to 1 to 5 to 1 to be best.when i fish 70 fow i would need another boat to carry my anchor line?
freyedknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 07:26 PM   #17
Shortdrift

Default I keep it light

Don't want to lift a lot of weight so I have the Water Spike with 42" of 5/16" link chain covered with a bicycle inner tube. I use 3/8" line and run out the maximum of 225 feet when I perch. As you know, sometimes it takes a while to get perch to school under your boat so I ALWAYS run out the max in case the weather comes up or some butthead throws a big wake that I will not break off the oerch schooled under my boat. BTW, I was anchoring a 1800 Lund with that system and never broke loose, even in constant 3 footers with some 4's. After four feet I give up on perch'n.
Old 06-03-2008, 07:40 PM   #18
Mad-Eye Moody

Default Rope

Ive always managed 5 to 1 with the rope, but may be time to pick upf another length. The chain is something I haden't done before, so it sounds like that will help. I will get a waterspike and some chain and another 100 feet of rope. Probably just in time for the perching to stop!
Old 06-03-2008, 09:22 PM   #19
Fishers of Men

Just giving you an idea of how anchor cautious I am.

This is a 30' craft.

I carry a fortress used in Erie, light and will not slide in the hardest sand/clay etc..., 2 sizes of collapsable grapples for reef fishing/rocks/coral and such, and a danforth spare. (In case ever you lose the fortress for some unforsaken reason) All on a standard 10' of stainless chain, because of places I go, I don't want the line cutting on sharp objects from wave action. I don't need 10' on this lake but it is not in my way, just gets sucked up by the windlass, and I am not going to cut it!

I carry standard 500' line and have a locker holding another bundle of 300' and 500' for the extreme that I hope I never encounter. The fortress comes off when I go to to saltwater because I would rather lose a danforth than that nice anchor!

It is always good to have a spare anchor for many reasons. You can always place it up the line from the one that doesn't want to grab, throw 2 out in emergency purposes, and mainly so you are not with out if you lose one...IT HAPPENS.

The super light weight fortress grabs so good that most of the time that when pulling anchor, when you get the line straight up and down, the anchor guy has to wrap a cleat and then power into it, to free, then bring in. Thats an anchor that really digs. I have a friend that twisted a fluke, pulling it out of rocks and they sent him a new one when he called. More if getting what you pay for with that kind of customer service. I personally would NEVER drop any type of danforth design in the rocks. It's a sand/mud etc type anchor.

The waterspike is a good choice for this lake as was mentioned and affordable, The fortress is more of a premier anchor and more expensive. Both you can take a reverse pull on to free also.
Matt 4:19
fomsportfishing.com
Fishers of Men is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 02:38 PM   #20
wmcapts
GT

Made Eye

Don't spend the extra $$ for the Fortress I have owned several and got just as good of results with the cheap Danforth put 10 - 15' 3/8 chain and it will hold anything. Chain and scope are the keys to good achoring and Danforth's are good in the mud. Save your money for fuel and bait.

Gary
wmcapts is offline   Reply With Quote