Notices

Go Back  Ohio Game Fishing Community > Hunter's Lodge > Guns and Ammo >

200 yard + rifle range?

Old 08-06-2006, 05:59 PM   #1
doegirl

Default 200 yard + rifle range?

Ladies and Gents: I'm looking for a place to practice @ 100yds and beyond. The gun club I belong to only has a 100yd range. I would like to keep the drive time to 'bout 2hrs, but if it's more, that's alright. I live in Ottawa County, thanks in advance

Register today to remove this advertisement IT'S FREE

Old 08-06-2006, 07:25 PM   #2
Smallmouth Crazy

I heard there was a really nice range in the Zanesville area..cant recall the name of it though..a guy at work told me about it and its website but he has since transfered...heard it was really nice that people from other states come to use it..maybe somebody from the Zanesville area knows more about it.
Smallmouth Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 08:37 PM   #3
OhioMadMan

Well If you live in ottawa co. you`re close to the best range in N.W. Ohio.
It`s called the Sandusky County Sportsmen Club. It`s a couple of miles east of Gibsonburg. They have several range`s there. A 75 yard enclosed range, a 100 and 250 yard range and a cowboy town range. They are also in the process of building a 500 yard range.

I also live in Ottawa co. I am just outside of Elmore. What part of the county do you live? You have to be a member ,but you can go there as a guest with a member. If you are interested I will be glad to take you out there to shoot and you can check the place out. If you want to join I would sponsor you. I`ll try and find a link to the web site and add it to this post.

Here is the linky http://www.scsclub.org/

Last edited by OhioMadMan; 08-06-2006 at 08:53 PM.
OhioMadMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 09:06 PM   #4
doegirl

Madman: Check your PM's...
Old 08-09-2006, 07:21 AM   #5
Lundy

doegirl,

I know (I see you on some of the other sites I visit daily )that you are looking for the range to play with your TC at 200 yds and do some load development. A 250 yd range really won't address your needs I don't think.

I live in central Ohio and have not been able to find a suitable 200 yd range near me. I end up driving down to my hunting grounds in Athens and setting up my own range for working on my Savage's.

There is a sportsman club in Belfountain (sp?) near Indian Lake that has a 200 yd range, I just can't find any information of joining.

If you find something suitable up your way let me know. I drive up there on business every couple of weeks.

Thanks
Lundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 01:23 PM   #6
doegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundy
doegirl,

I know (I see you on some of the other sites I visit daily )that you are looking for the range to play with your TC at 200 yds and do some load development. A 250 yd range really won't address your needs I don't think.

I live in central Ohio and have not been able to find a suitable 200 yd range near me. I end up driving down to my hunting grounds in Athens and setting up my own range for working on my Savage's.

There is a sportsman club in Belfountain (sp?) near Indian Lake that has a 200 yd range, I just can't find any information of joining.

If you find something suitable up your way let me know. I drive up there on business every couple of weeks.

Thanks
Lundy: Will do.
Old 08-09-2006, 09:34 PM   #7
Orlando
Set The Hook!

Hey Lundy, doegirl
There is "Logan County Fish and Game Club" Which is just North of Bellefontaine maybe a mile on the right hand side on St Rt 68 . It has a 200 yard range. Only place around that area trust me I have looked. It's $25.00 or $30.00 an year, there is no range master (which can be a bad thing) I usually go in the mid to late afternoon and its not to busy, weekends can be a zoo. . I like to shoot when its not so busy since there is no rangemaster. There are 5 or 6 concrete bench/tables under a cover. I bought my membership at a gunshop downtown Bellefontaine on Main ST. on the left hand side just a block or two from the Court House.
Orlando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 06:02 AM   #8
Lundy

Thanks Orlando!

I have been to that club for some archery 3D shoots years ago.

I looked at the range many times, drove right in, no gate or anything , but there wasn't anyone around and no signs giving contact information about joining. The range would be perfect for what I and I think Doe girl also want to do. It's only a little over an hr from me and less than 2 hrs from Toledo.

I have never, in the 4 or 5 times I looked at it, ever seen a single soul on the range, but it's normally weekdays on the way back from Indian.

I will join the club now that I know where to go to get it done.

I have ice fished the two ponds on the property also, caught tons of bass on spoons, never kept any but was fun catching them

Thanks again

Last edited by Lundy; 08-10-2006 at 06:05 AM.
Old 08-10-2006, 06:48 AM   #9
Orlando
Set The Hook!

There is a house trailer as you pull in on the right. Normally someone lives there and you can purchase a membership from them but it has been vacant. Another thing,if you do go on weekends the range is sometimes closed becase of archery ,clay shoots etc. Ask for a list of events when you get your membership and check it before you go, it may save you a wasted trip. I only live 15 minutes south of there and shoot there often. See ya
Old 08-10-2006, 12:56 PM   #10
Orlando
Set The Hook!

One more thing, the range you probably see driving by that you never see anyone on is a private range for a club. It's for some pistol club and gated off. When you drive in follow the driveway to the left of the block building and the rifle range is the first one. There are three dirt backstops, 50 yd , 100yds, 200 yds. Bring some sort of target holder as there is nothing there but the backstops.
Old 08-10-2006, 08:56 PM   #11
doegirl

Excellent information, Orlando, thank you... That's like a 2hour trip for me, not bad. The fact that you can buy a membership/range permit over the counter is very convenient, too. One thing, it would happen to have the name and or number of the gun store that sells the permits, would you?

Last edited by doegirl; 08-10-2006 at 08:58 PM.
doegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 09:30 PM   #12
ChachiSnips
outdoors enthusiast

There's a state-run range in Coshocton around the corner from my hunting property that has ranges from 25-200 yards for gun, a bow range, and a walking bow course. it's like $3-$5 per day or ~$25 a year for the permit. the walking course is open w/o a permit. might be far for you, but maybe someone else would be interested. more specifically it's at State Rt. 541 and County Rd. 4.
ChachiSnips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 06:49 AM   #13
Lundy

Yes, it's the rifle range that I never see anyone at when I drive in, but I'm normally there midweek and during the winter and very early spring when I fish Indian.

Thanks again I will be joining this sportsman club, I need a convenient 200 yd range to work on muzzleloader loads.

doe girl,

I'll go up and get the information including the name and number of the gunshop, but it will be a couple of weeks before I can get up there, I have salmon in NY that need catching. Maybe someone will provide this information for you prior to that.
Old 08-11-2006, 03:39 PM   #14
Orlando
Set The Hook!

Guns and Gear ,213 S Main St, 937-593-4868
Old 08-11-2006, 10:33 PM   #15
doegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando
Guns and Gear ,213 S Main St, 937-593-4868
Thank You!!