Ohio Game Fishing

Go Back  Ohio Game Fishing Community > Hunter's Lodge > Guns and Ammo >

Colt Government Mark IV Series 80 .380

Old 01-22-2006, 09:35 PM   #1
H2O Mellon
Hangin' With My Gnomies

Default Colt Government Mark IV Series 80 .380

I've been wanting one of these for a long while. Today I traded a rifle and another Colt (revolver) for one.

Here is a pic. Words cant describe how nice this feels. I will most likely carry this more than my Colt Officers Model .45 due to the light weight. If anyone else was on the fence about one of these, I say go for it.

Guns and Ammo
H2O Mellon is offline   Reply With Quote

Register today to remove this advertisement IT'S FREE

Old 01-23-2006, 01:33 PM   #2
ohiobassman

what did you trade for that and how much was it
ohiobassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 02:08 PM   #3
littleking
Crossing Lines LIKE A PRO

Send a message via ICQ to littleking Send a message via AIM to littleking Send a message via MSN to littleking Send a message via Yahoo to littleking

.380 is just way to small of a round for defense
Old 01-23-2006, 06:31 PM   #4
H2O Mellon
Hangin' With My Gnomies

"the Colt .45 and Smith & Wesson .357 Magnum, fell into disuse when Patton began to favor a smaller, lighter Colt .380 automatic. One of the most probable reasons that Patton liked the small Colt was because of it's size and weight. It was a mere 13 ounces, as compared to the Colt .45's 38 ounces and the 41 ounces of the Smith & Wesson .357 Magnum. Though small, it was a hard hitting pistol."

Let me say again "Though small, it was a hard hitting pistol."

If it was good enough for General Patton, it's good enough for me!

Last edited by H2O Mellon; 01-23-2006 at 06:47 PM.
Old 01-23-2006, 06:56 PM   #5
H2O Mellon
Hangin' With My Gnomies

Ohiobassman,
around $700. You can find some nice used ones in the $500-600 range. Now granted you can spend even more on them for instance if you had a trigger job done, had a metal trigger installed, etc....

Here are a couple Colt .380's that I'd like to have: COLT TWIN .380's But I don't have $3,500.00
Old 01-24-2006, 07:33 AM   #6
Darwin
If your gonna be a bear..

That is a nice looking handgun Mellon.
As far as the comment made about to small of a round for defense I say to each his own. It's like I tell my wife, I don't care if you can't hit the broad side of a barn if your standing in it. If you start shooting at someone who is coming after you they will not stick around to see how well you can shoot.

Your friends, your BEST FRIENDS, are people who bring out the best in you. You should always associate with the best!
Darwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 07:45 AM   #7
H2O Mellon
Hangin' With My Gnomies

Yes I agree. My thoughts were also that my wife would be able to handle this much better than a .45. I still perfer for her to keep a revolver around the house while I'm gone. But she will eventually need to learn how to shoot an auto.
Old 01-24-2006, 09:22 AM   #8
crankus_maximus
Crankus Baitus Maximus

.380 is plenty stopping power when placed in the right location. I've got a .380 and a 9mm Mak. Both rounds are nearly identical. They will both put a hurtin' on.

I bought my wife a Bersa Thunder. She loves to shoot it.
crankus_maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 09:21 AM   #9
APD1088

Default Colt 380

Very nice Mellon. Just a word of experience, I had one of those a couple years ago that the slide release pin would walk out during rapid magazine emptying. It would walk out enough to keep the gun out of battery even if the gun is held straight up and down. The fix was to modify the spring clip retainer on the release to keep more pressure on it. Just want to let you know so that you don't have a problem at the worst possible moment.
APD1088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 09:25 AM   #10
APD1088

Default 380 auto

Just another thought, 9mm, 380, and Makarov are the same diameter, and as Crankus tells us: Shot placement is the important thing.
APD1088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 10:07 AM   #11
misfit
MOD SQUAD

nice looking piece,bryan.

Quote:
Just another thought, 9mm, 380, and Makarov are the same diameter,
that's true.but diameter is not the reason for the similar ballistic characteristics.the ballistic similarity is due to case length being almost identical.standard 9mm,.38 special,.357 mag are also about the same diameter as the others,but there's big diffence in case length/powder charge.kinda like the diffence beetween .22 short and .22 mag.

that being said,i think the .380 is a decent choice for a lightweight,tight quarters carry piece for those who aren't comfortable with the larger,heavier guns for their own particular reasons.not nearly as much stopping power or range as the latter,which really has little to do with bullet diameter.
thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming....WOW -WHAT A RIDE!!!!
misfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 09:18 PM   #12
jeffmo
officially unofficial!!!!

for home defense i've taught the mrs. how to load and shoot my 1100 12 gauge with 00 buckshot.she can't miss with that.
Old 01-28-2006, 11:39 PM   #13
littleking

Send a message via ICQ to littleking Send a message via AIM to littleking Send a message via MSN to littleking Send a message via Yahoo to littleking

i agree, shot placement is very very important. most police departments carried the 38 and/or 380 for a long long time and have proven effective with it. the problem lies with actual stopping power, not necessarily killing power. big guys (my size) are not fazed by a 38, 380 or 9mm, so most law enforcement switched to either the .40 or the long tested and time trued .45 (mostly the .40 though because the sub-sonic, heavy drifting .45)

sorry if my post came across wrong, i assumed that you were planning to use the firearm for personal defense (since its a non-legal hunting calibre) and i guess that i should not of assume it as such, my apologies.
Old 01-28-2006, 11:41 PM   #14
littleking

here is a great article discussing most of the above mention rounds. pretty darn interesting...

http://hunting.about.com/od/guns/l/aast9mmv380a.htm
Old 01-29-2006, 10:44 AM   #15
H2O Mellon
Hangin' With My Gnomies

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleking
big guys (my size) are not fazed by a 38, 380 or 9mm
What a load of BS.

Please, Please, Please tell me you are not serious. I am prob bigger than you & a .380, .38, 9mm would kill me just as easy as it would you.

When I took my CCW class, this discussion came up. Other members of OGF have taken the class from the same people, the retired Sheriff (& the current local Police Chief) that was giving the test said the same thing.

Last edited by H2O Mellon; 01-29-2006 at 10:52 AM.
Old 01-29-2006, 10:51 AM   #16
H2O Mellon
Hangin' With My Gnomies

Sorry, I've just got to add more: Do you realize that when most people have to protect theirselves with their own weapon its up close & personal. The "bad guy" isnt 30 yards away. If your 6 feet from me & I shoot you with my .380 you are going to die and not live to see your argument that "big guys (my size) are not fazed by a 38, 380 or 9mm" go down in flames.

Jeffmo..... I agree 100% the best home defense gun is a 12 ga! I have a Winchsester Police Shotgun that I bought a while back & like you shes loaded w/ 00 buck (or 000 I cant remember right now)
Old 01-29-2006, 11:12 AM   #17
jeffmo
officially unofficial!!!!

h2o,i have an older brother who's a viet nam vet and i'd sure like to tell you exactly how he described the capabilities of a winchester model 12 loaded with 00buckshot but i don't think the mods would like it very well!!!!!
Old 01-29-2006, 11:30 AM   #18
misfit
MOD SQUAD

Quote:
Do you realize that when most people have to protect theirselves with their own weapon its up close & personal. The "bad guy" isnt 30 yards away. If your 6 feet from me & I shoot you with my .380 you are going to die
exactly what i was talking about.but they'll only die if hit in the right place,as with even bigger calibers.but in the above scenario,i think the .380 would hold it's own,though the 00 buck from a chopped off 12 ga. would be my first choice also
be alot of work cleaning up the house afterwards,but worth it,LOL.

Quote:
but i don't think the mods would like it very well!!!!!
LOL,jeff.it wouldn't bother me,but have a great mental picture already
thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming....WOW -WHAT A RIDE!!!!
misfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 05:27 PM   #19
crankus_maximus
Crankus Baitus Maximus

I would prefer the buckshot myself. Hard to miss at close quarters and the stopping power is undeniable. However, a sawed off 12 under my coat doesn't fly too well. And, the wife would not be shooting one of those ever.

Anything from a BB on up will kill a grown man if placed in the correct place with enough velocity. However, as stated in situations where you do not get a killing shot it is noce to have some extra kick where it counts.

It's all a compromise. If you want stopping power, then you will be carrying a bigger gun with a bigger shell. You get the point....
crankus_maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 07:13 AM   #20
spinfisher
Bronzeback Hunter

Quote:
What a load of BS.
hehe...What do you really think?

Question for the non-believers: Have you ever been hit by a round fired from a .380?

Just for fun, if anyone wants to play, I have a game:

You come at me or my family. I will (just for fun) shoot you with my Walther PPk/S .380. Maybe a couple times if it's okay with you--it is within the rules and it won't hurt.

Then, since you are simply not fazed by the silly little thing, you get to shoot me next with your .45 or other big pistol of choice--if you can calmly aim and squeeze one off accurately before I shoot you again.

All right, let's get serious. If my placement is not great, I will still win the game. If you don't think so, you are playing macho gun-magazine games; not real-life, Oh, sh*t! I'm hit!

And Mellon is right about the revolver for your wife. Small or large caliber, if she can't handle the gun confidently in a stressful situation, her weapon is worthless.
spinfisher is offline   Reply With Quote