Ohio Game Fishing

Go Back  Ohio Game Fishing Community > Ohio Fishing Reports > Northeast Ohio Fishing Reports >

Pymatuning Fishing Reports

Old 09-22-2005, 03:54 PM   #1
BABS

Default Pymatuning Fishing Reports

Can anyone provide a fishing report for this lake?

I will be visiting the lake this weekend for the first time and plan on doing some fishing.

I plan on concentrating on fishing for Crappie.

Any suggestions on location, depth, etc... would be appreciated.
BABS is offline   Reply With Quote

Register today to remove this advertisement IT'S FREE

Old 09-26-2005, 04:08 PM   #2
1gotaway

Default Pymie report

I've been hoping someone would reply to your post as I'd like to make one of my 3-4 trips a year to this lake also. I went in May, again in June and don't know if I'm going again based on what seems to be little interest. Those trips produced little in the way of eyes but the June trip produced a few decent crappies. At the time I was fishing in 10 ft of water about 100 yards north of a small island ( don't think it has a name ) which in turn is north of stocker island. Using small jig heads tipped with minnows.

I grew up fishing Pymatuning and maybe I'm just getting old but fishing for all speciies seems slower the last 5 years. Of course I don't go that often anymore either.

In searching the net I found the follwing article from the Pittsburgh Post newspaper in August . Has anyone been fishing Pymie in the last couple weeks and could update us ? Thanks.
Walleye getting walloped
Aug 7th

Heat is being blamed for the walleye die-off at Pymatuning, where adult, large-size fish have been found floating in recent weeks. However, no fish had been collected for evaluation as of July 28, according to Bob Lorantas, the agency's top warm-water biologist. The phenomenon has longtime users of the reservoir scratching their heads.

"I saw a dozen walleye floating between the causeway and Orchard boat launch," said Jim Scalise of Bethel Park, an angler who owns a cottage on the lake. "I've been fishing Pymatuning for 30 years and I've never seen a dozen fish floating dead like that. One was 30 inches."

According to Lorantas, water temperatures are stressing walleye and the shallowness of the reservoir is offering them almost nowhere to go for relief.

"Eighty-five degrees isn't necessarily a temperature that would cause problems for walleye," Lorantas said. "But lakes stratify in summer, and in a lake this shallow, there's little opportunity for walleye to find cooler refuge."

Some anglers have questioned whether herbicides used for vegetation control could be a culprit, but the Pennsylvania Department of Conservation and Natural Resources said it hasn't applied any chemicals this year.

"It seems a little strange to me, to tell you the truth," Young said of the die-off. "We seem to see mortality of one species around spawning time. That's not uncommon. This is a little more uncommon. There are virus-type diseases that can affect one species, more so when they are under stress."

Walleye getting walloped

Heat is being blamed for the walleye die-off at Pymatuning, where adult, large-size fish have been found floating in recent weeks. However, no fish had been collected for evaluation as of July 28, according to Bob Lorantas, the agency's top warm-water biologist. The phenomenon has longtime users of the reservoir scratching their heads.

"I saw a dozen walleye floating between the causeway and Orchard boat launch," said Jim Scalise of Bethel Park, an angler who owns a cottage on the lake. "I've been fishing Pymatuning for 30 years and I've never seen a dozen fish floating dead like that. One was 30 inches."

According to Lorantas, water temperatures are stressing walleye and the shallowness of the reservoir is offering them almost nowhere to go for relief.

"Eighty-five degrees isn't necessarily a temperature that would cause problems for walleye," Lorantas said. "But lakes stratify in summer, and in a lake this shallow, there's little opportunity for walleye to find cooler refuge."

Some anglers have questioned whether herbicides used for vegetation control could be a culprit, but the Pennsylvania Department of Conservation and Natural Resources said it hasn't applied any chemicals this year.

"It seems a little strange to me, to tell you the truth," Young said of the die-off. "We seem to see mortality of one species around spawning time. That's not uncommon. This is a little more uncommon. There are virus-type diseases that can affect one species, more so when they are under stress."
1gotaway is offline   Reply With Quote