Ohio Game Fishing

Go Back  Ohio Game Fishing Community > Ohio Fishing Reports > Northwest Ohio Fishing Reports >

Sandusky river Walleye run

Old 02-26-2014, 02:29 PM   #1
Flingnsting1
Flingnsting1

Default Sandusky river Walleye run

Just Wanted to get some opinions on what people are thinking for the start up of the walleye running this year. I'm having a little boy due here at the end of April beginning of May and I may miss the action, not that I'd rather fish than have my son....however I am just wondering at the earliest what anyone feels we would start to se some action on the Sandusky for the eyes! Thanks for reading!!
Flingnsting1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Register today to remove this advertisement IT'S FREE

Old 02-26-2014, 03:01 PM   #2
Joshb

i start heading up around the 3rd weekend of march and do good till the end of april
Old 02-26-2014, 07:54 PM   #3
Weekender#1

Default what time

Come heck or high water the fish will spawn around April 10 give or take a few.
Weekender#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 08:05 AM   #4
Flingnsting1
Flingnsting1

Yeah, I hope its a good run this year... Maybe I'll go jiggnpigg the western basin... If it ever un-freezes
Old 03-01-2014, 09:16 AM   #5
9Left

Last year I know a couple were caught in the last week of February...obviously the weather is different from year to year ..that being said..I'd be kinda hesitant to make a long drive up there this year in mid march...the whole thing is based on water temps.
9Left is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 12:43 PM   #6
BrookdaleBrothersOutdoors
Its fishing, not catching

I know water temperature is a big factor that influences the run but some research has shown that it could also be the lengthened duration of sunlight hours as well. I know last year the first few were caught around the very end of February/beginning of March as stated by 9left. I tried to go back and check water temperature data for that time period but could only get stage and flow data. If I can recall correctly, the first fish that were caught happened in water that was a little below 40F, 41F - 47F is the generally accepted spawning temperature. So my question is when do you guys think the first fish will head up the river? I know they are not there now but what about in a week or two? small jacks that don't know better maybe? Im familiar with this run but not with the run during/after a brutal winter. I'm not expecting to have a limit or anything within the next 3 weeks or more but I just am trying to gauge when at least a few are going to be in the river, and not the resident ones that are said to be there year round in very low numbers.
BrookdaleBrothersOutdoors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 12:45 PM   #7
BrookdaleBrothersOutdoors
Its fishing, not catching

It's my spring break from now until March 16th and it will be a shame if I don't get in any walleye run time, guess I am just antsy like the rest of you lol I may just have to skip some classes to get after them.
BrookdaleBrothersOutdoors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 01:26 PM   #8
9Left

A good rain helps a lot too...warm rain comin in can help the fish get started..my opinion is, there's still tons of ice in the river,plus bitter cold temps and a snow storm comin up...I "think"the good fishing will start late march/ early April is year.
9Left is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 02:44 PM   #9
bassmaster419

I agree 9left! Ive never fished the sandusky but i am big on the maumee im guessin maybe last week of march or early april...i would love to try the sandusky but have never fished it so wouldnt know where to start being closer to me comming from findlay anyone care to share a spot for a fellow walleye getter?

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Ohub Campfire mobile app
bassmaster419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 09:13 PM   #10
greatmiami

It'll be my first time going this year, I hope to hit it full swing with the water levels decent. I don't care if I get skunked as long as some fish are being caught around me and I can put some pieces together. 2 hour drive

Sent from my QMV7A using Ohub Campfire mobile app
greatmiami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 08:51 AM   #11
Flingnsting1
Flingnsting1

Well guys ..I dunno, but look call angler supply in Fremont and he will give you a good daily recording for the movt on them eyes! As to where to go I don't know street names but I'm sure someone on her can spout ya some places there. Have waders cause that shore can be locked up with dudes and know how to cast if your not familiar with fishing a run... Nothin sucks worse then repeatedly tying up with your neighbors. Anyway I'm going to look into this whole water temp thing. And whoever said they was skipping class ...uhhhh be ready to do so, that's where it is going it seems this year.
Old 03-02-2014, 08:56 AM   #12
Flingnsting1
Flingnsting1

Oh yea, bring dark baits white, black, red , blue, purple cause your gonna work some muddy water guaranteed . Nothing hurts me worse than seeing someone fishing there heart out with a pointless setup. Twisty, dbl.twisty, Carolina rigg, floating jig head, glow floating jig head. Secret for good hold on bite..... Here it is minnow head. That's the killer move.
Old 03-02-2014, 10:10 AM   #13
Dr. Walleye
Instagram: drwalleye

I am only familiar with the Maumee River. But things apply here as they do in the Sandusky River. There is a ton of ice that needs to leave the Maumee Bay and southern shore of Lake Erie. Only then can the rivers flush clean. I give it another 3 weeks minimum. Ugh, I don't like the sounds of that, especially since I was in the Maumee River this time last year. Plus, if you can even picture it, guys were jigging in the bay this time last year.
Old 03-02-2014, 01:31 PM   #14
tmorrow

In my years of fishing i have had years where it is a long, slow run. And years where it is hot and heavy for a couple, few weeks and then slows down. This year may be one of those years where if you are there during that hot time you will do well, if not you may have to grind. Many days i have fished all day and not caught a fish, and others been done in less than an hour. One thing is for sure though, in two or three weeks i will be in the water with the biggest smile on my face, doing what i love to do. That to me is more important than anything.
tmorrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 03:58 PM   #15
greatmiami

That's so true! Any time on the water is a blessing

greatmiami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 06:09 PM   #16
fisherboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatmiami View Post
That's so true! Any time on the water is a blessing

Nothing to do with the Sadusky but I was ice fishing for close to3 hrs yesterday & caught 1 perch (a 4" at that). But still was enjoyable.
fisherboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 08:59 PM   #17
Scum_Frog
Set The Hook`

I live about 10 minutes from the Sandusky. I'll keep an eye on the river and let everyone know when it looks time!!

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
I work at Sharpnack Chevrolet Buick in Willard. If you're wanting a new or used vehicle and to support OGF and us, please send me a PM if you have any questions or give me a call. 419-765-0554 is my personal Cell.
www.sharpnackdirect.com
Scum_Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 08:54 AM   #18
Flingnsting1
Flingnsting1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scum_Frog View Post
I live about 10 minutes from the Sandusky. I'll keep an eye on the river and let everyone know when it looks time!!

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Hey thanks man I would really appreciate that. I'm so impatiently waiting to wet a line there.... Plays my buddy just moved here from Michigan and wanted to see what all the noise is about. I'm pumped just to get up there, let alone that the weather us nice enough for me to think about going up there, feel bad for the guys about to go into there winter....it's gonna suck!
Old 03-05-2014, 09:33 PM   #19
fishing buddy

SCUM FROG, I'll be watching your posts for the walleye up-dates. I have a friend that likes white bass (don't know why) do you have a good guess when they come up the river? Do they come all the way to Fremont, or is there better spots down stream ? THANKS..
fishing buddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 10:28 PM   #20
Joshb

white bass was hit and miss last year but yes they run all the way to fremont . awesome fishing when theyre in there good. about mid may i usually do really good on the whitebass