Ohio Game Fishing

Go Back  Ohio Game Fishing Community > Hunter's Lodge > The Lodge >

Hunting with supressors.

Old 11-12-2013, 10:50 PM   #1
buckeye dan

Default Hunting with suppressors.

http://www.legislature.state.oh.us/B...HB_234_I_Y.pdf

This does a few things for Ohioans. It'll save some hearing. We'll obviously have a legitimate use for them if they are approved for hunting so those law enforcement agencies that like to refuse applications for them may be more inclined to approve applicants.

If the latter occurs that means we will no longer require trusts or corporations to bypass them which will save people some money and time.

It's been through the Agriculture and Natural Resources Committee hearings twice with no opponent testimony. Here: http://www.ohiohouse.gov/committee/a...ural-resources

Contact your reps and ask them to pass this bill.

More than half the US allows hunting with suppressors in some form. They are legal to own in all but the obvious states like NY, CA, IL etc.

The Lodge
The Lodge

Last edited by buckeye dan; 11-12-2013 at 11:03 PM.
buckeye dan is offline   Reply With Quote

Register today to remove this advertisement IT'S FREE

Old 11-12-2013, 11:06 PM   #2
ostbucks98

i really dont see this being benefecial or widely used. really when you look at it the only positive is yes save some decibels. other than that? now weigh the negatives we could go on and on?

Sent from my ZTE-Z990G using Ohub Campfire mobile app
ostbucks98 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 11:26 PM   #3
buckeye dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ostbucks98 View Post
i really dont see this being benefecial or widely used. really when you look at it the only positive is yes save some decibels. other than that? now weigh the negatives we could go on and on?

Sent from my ZTE-Z990G using Ohub Campfire mobile app
What negatives? The positive "saving some decibels" is all the incentive we need to pass this.

Many hunters have hearing loss of some kind. Especially at the high end of the scale. I am sure there have been many great hunting dogs that are gun shy and miss out the opportunity to hunt because of it. I know several farmers and ranchers personally that don't allow gun hunting because it upsets their animals. Coon hunters have it hard enough with the noise their dogs make. Add gunfire to the equation in the middle of the night and they lose otherwise available lands. Varmint hunters in theory could be slightly more effective.

The positives outweigh the negatives many times over, especially when there are no negatives or opponents of the bill.

Just make the calls and help this thing pass. Lack of activism is the only thing that will kill it.
Old 11-12-2013, 11:39 PM   #4
catmando

Ohio has too many clueless folks hunting, and you want them to take suppressors in the woods? Explain how Ohio hunters could benefit???

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Ohub Campfire mobile app
catmando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 11:42 PM   #5
catmando

Dan, Earplugs and properly training a dog would take care of that.

Old 11-12-2013, 11:48 PM   #6
catmando

Coon dogs make more noise then the one shot it takes to put a coon down.

Old 11-13-2013, 03:13 AM   #7
ezbite
the Susan Lucci of OGF

first you wanted rifles to be legal in Ohio, now supressors...

NO, i see no reason for it at all. either of them.

http://www.youtube.com/user/ezbite1
ezbite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 07:05 AM   #8
Mad-Eye Moody

I would like to be able to use a rifle for the single very simple purpose that ammunition is far cheaper for a rifle than modern slugs are. Otherwise they are not necessary and I agree. But then, I could always use a muzzleloader if I were worried about it right?
Old 11-13-2013, 07:30 AM   #9
Boogieman

They give you better accuracy, witch woud be great for squirrel,fox,coyote,an ground hogs. On my 22s i went from 1/2" to 3/16 groups at 25 yards.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Boogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 09:02 AM   #10
M.Magis

Every rifle should come with a suppressor as standard equipment. We have laws against a car being too loud, when that’s nothing more than an irritation. We try to quiet everything else, why would we want to keep our guns so loud? I think too many people only know of them from the movies. That’s not reality. They don’t eliminate noise, they just lessen it.
M.Magis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 10:32 AM   #11
Buckhunter1206

Yeah let's allow suppressors so when the idiots that already shoot at everything that moves can shoot your direction without you even knowing it. Sounds like a great idea to me!

Sent from my LIFE PLAY using Ohub Campfire mobile app
Buckhunter1206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 11:15 AM   #12
sherman51

I see no purpose at all in having a sound suppressor on a gun for any reason unless it would be to commit a crime. I do all my hunting with a muzzleloader so I try to make my first shot count. it is very rare that I get or need a second shot. but just think of the 10% that would use this to make shots before or after legal shooting hours. I just see no positives to sound suppressors for hunting. I wouldn't use one if I could. but I like being able to hear when someone close to me shoots. so I know where they are hunting, and can stay away from where there hunting.

where I hunt is not that far from a shooting range and hear people shooting all through the day. I have watched deer when these shots are fired and they pay little attention to the sounds of these guns at a distance. so why would anyone want or need a suppressor on there guns??
sherman
sherman51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 11:36 AM   #13
buckeye dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckhunter1206 View Post
Yeah let's allow suppressors so when the idiots that already shoot at everything that moves can shoot your direction without you even knowing it. Sounds like a great idea to me!

As M.Magis pointed out...
Quote:
I think too many people only know of them from the movies. Thatís not reality. They donít eliminate noise, they just lessen it.
Bingo! Suppressors suppress noise. They are not the "silencer of death" assassins weapon from Hollywood.

You'll still hear the irresponsible hunter shooting at you quite clearly. The difference is it won't hurt either of your ears so much. The addition or removal of a suppressor isn't going to change what is really wrong with this scenario.

One more positive I forgot to mention is less recoil. A lot of guys are using powerful muzzle loading inline rifles and shotguns that have been converted to rifles using a rifled barrel and sabot bullets. A suppressor will ease the recoil these guns produce. Maybe the wives will shoot them and go hunting too. Of course that may not be a good thing for some of us.
Old 11-13-2013, 11:42 AM   #14
buckeye dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherman51 View Post
I see no purpose at all in having a sound suppressor on a gun for any reason unless it would be to commit a crime. I do all my hunting with a muzzleloader so I try to make my first shot count. it is very rare that I get or need a second shot. but just think of the 10% that would use this to make shots before or after legal shooting hours. I just see no positives to sound suppressors for hunting. I wouldn't use one if I could. but I like being able to hear when someone close to me shoots. so I know where they are hunting, and can stay away from where there hunting.

where I hunt is not that far from a shooting range and hear people shooting all through the day. I have watched deer when these shots are fired and they pay little attention to the sounds of these guns at a distance. so why would anyone want or need a suppressor on there guns??
sherman
The deer that inhabit areas around shooting ranges are conditioned to the gunfire. That is not the case in areas away from shooting ranges.

Regardless, the animals are still going to hear the shot. Little or nothing changes from that aspect. What does change is accuracy, recoil and decibel level. All good things.
Old 11-13-2013, 01:10 PM   #15
Buckhunter1206

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeye dan View Post
The deer that inhabit areas around shooting ranges are conditioned to the gunfire. That is not the case in areas away from shooting ranges.

Regardless, the animals are still going to hear the shot. Little or nothing changes from that aspect. What does change is accuracy, recoil and decibel level. All good things.
Taking better shots will increase accuracy, don't shoot a gun if u can't control recoil and wear hearing protection to reduce decibel level. Issues solved without suppressors!

Buckhunter1206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 01:15 PM   #16
M.Magis

I’m a little surprised at some of the apparent ignorance in the subject. I thought more hunters would be familiar enough to understand the difference between movie land fantasy vs real life. Guess not. There’s not one logical reason to leave guns louder when there is a way to make them easier on the ears, not one. Once again, they are not “silencers”. It’s baffling to me how anyone could be against it.
M.Magis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 01:34 PM   #17
bobk

I'm all for it. I agree with Magis, really surprised at some of the comments on the subject.
bobk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 02:13 PM   #18
Fishingisfun

IMO I have noticed the increase of muzzle mufflers on air guns and their popularity is evident by the manufactures adding them to their line. In Europe most air guns have them on the high end models. I believe some countries require that shooters quieten their shooting by have a muffling device. A local muzzle loading club has restricted usage hours because city folk move to the country and did not like the noise the judge splits the rights of the club and takes away the noise so the city people have their quiet. If we all tread quietly with the antis we will likely keep our rights longer because the noise does not remind them we are here. IMHO
Fishingisfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 02:22 PM   #19
Garyoutlaw77
Rough Fish Ambassador

I often run a 24 hour trap line & sure would enjoy the stealth of a suppressed firearm.
But DO NOT think it's a tool every person should be allowed to own

but don't know who's job it is to decide..

Last edited by Garyoutlaw77; 11-13-2013 at 03:00 PM.
Garyoutlaw77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 03:13 PM   #20
sherman51

I can see where they would be a good idea at shooting ranges or in areas where your shooting in populated areas where the loud noise could bother someone else. I do use good ear plugs when shooting at the range and have given many pairs away to people that didn't have ear plugs. but if im getting ready to shoot even with ear plugs I have a tendency to move just a little if the person next to me shoots. that's why I wait for a good time to shoot.

I know when I shoot at the range I try to time my shot where I wont dodge from the sound of someone elses shot. but I just don't understand why people want them for hunting. its not that im so much against using them as I guess its just my ignorance as to what the gain would really be while hunting. if someone could explain to me some real pros to using them while hunting maby I could understand a little better.

I do understand that in some shooters accuracy might improve a little. but if you put your time in on the range the shot you make in the woods is over with before you hear the sound of that shot. I guess felt recoil would be the biggest advantage to using a suppressor. but like I said before it would open up a whole new world for poachers that shoot before or after legal shooting times.

but like anything else they make legal I can live with it if its legal. some places don't even allow inline ml rifles some places don't allow scopes on ml in the ml season. some places still don't allow crossbows. if its really something that's going to help hunters or get more young people involved in hunting then im all for it. but right now I see more cons than pros to using suppressors for hunting.
sherman
sherman51 is offline   Reply With Quote