Ohio Game Fishing

Go Back  Ohio Game Fishing Community > General Discussions > The Lounge >

Lake whitefish

Old 10-16-2013, 02:12 PM   #1
Slab assassin 55

Default Lake whitefish

I have heard many good things about the eating quality of this fish. I would like to try it but I can't seem to find any stores/restaurants that have it. I know someplace has to since they commercial fish for them even in Erie.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Slab assassin 55 is offline   Reply With Quote

Register today to remove this advertisement IT'S FREE

Old 10-16-2013, 02:24 PM   #2
Saugeye Tom
River Pilgrim & Sojourner

I always got mine in MI
Saugeye Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 02:44 PM   #3
polebender

GFS Market sells whitefish!
polebender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 04:02 PM   #4
SteelEyes

slab assassin,
Lake Whitefish is the most common commercially caught fish on all of the great lakes. I believe you can find the exact numbers somewhere on the GLFC website. I believe more often than not, if you are eating fish caught from the great lakes, it is whitefish, regardless of how it is branded.
SteelEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 07:39 PM   #5
Jmsteele187

I see whitefish for sale at Meijer, all the time. You can usually buy them whole.

Jmsteele187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 07:48 PM   #6
MIKE*A

There is also a saltwater whitefish which is quite often what you see in the big chain groceries......I've always gotten my freshwater whitefish in michigian and Minnesota.....

Mike
MIKE*A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 10:05 PM   #7
Slab assassin 55

Thanks for the tips but as noted I want the actual Great Lakes white fish and know that it is common that a salt water species is labeled white fish in many box stores.

Slab assassin 55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 10:11 PM   #8
Jmsteele187

The ones I've seen at Meijer are most definitely fresh water whitefish. I can't guarantee they are from the Great Lakes, but absolutely freshwater whitefish.

Old 10-20-2013, 07:25 PM   #9
yonderfishin

They have been running up some Michigan rivers recently , eating salmon spawn. This time 2 years ago I was catching them from a bridge over the thunder bay in Alpena on tiny spawn sacs. There were so many of them that you could feel them swimming into the line and about one out of every three were accidental snags. I threw any snagged ones back and gave the ones caught in the mouth to other fishermen fishing nearby. I should have kept some but salmon were my main goal and was not prepared to bring back a bunch of whitefish. I sort of stumbled into the whitefish as I was about to call it quits for the night.

There are places around the country where if you buy whitefish its the saltwater variety but from what Ive seen usually in the great lakes area the whitefish available are from the lakes.
yonderfishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 11:48 AM   #10
SmittyN330
Urban Fisherman

How would one catch a lake whitefish when on Lake Erie?

Bluegill- Too many
Largemouth- I stopped keeping track
Shark-10
Channel Catfish-12
Goldfish-4 (what the heck?)
Creek Chub-4
Shiner-2
Crappie-2
Rock Bass-1
White Bass-1
Eel-1
Whiting-1
SmittyN330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 01:00 PM   #11
Jmsteele187

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmittyN330 View Post
I haven't really fished for them, but hope I can get on some through the ice. They have fairly small mouths, so smaller baits will be your best bet. They are also cold water fish, so deep water will be key. On Lake Erie I'd think your best bet would be in the eastern basin, where it's much deeper and colder, or through the ice.
Old 10-28-2013, 05:28 PM   #12
boatnut

I tried them several years ago at a fish n chips stand close to a commercial fishing dock in Killarney, Ontario. They were quite tasty. I tried it again at a restaurant in the U.P. last August and didn't particularly care for it. Not bad though, along the lines of a Pollock, I would say? Give me yellow perch or walleye any day though.
Old 10-29-2013, 06:10 PM   #13
Weekender#1

Default Whitefish

Right around Nov 15th the Whitefish come into the rivers to spawn. They are caught on hook and line off the breakwalls. The fish can run from 5 to 10 pounds each and have a mouth like a crappie, the hook can tear out easy. The main tactic is a single salmon egg, with a slip bobber and they are eager biters. There is a limit but many make the trip for the fish, they fry, bake and are the most popular smoked fish, i think. It would be a great fishing trip as you sit on a cement pier and limit on big tasty fish. I have heard that the AuSable river in Oscoda has been having some super runs in the past years also. Look at the Michigan Sportsman web site, down to great lakes piers as they have forums and there should be plenty of threads, you still have time to get after them. I have never heard of them in Erie but I do know they are there, I know no one that has caught on Erie.
Weekender#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 01:25 AM   #14
Jigging Jim

Send a message via Yahoo to Jigging Jim

The Hungry Bear Restaurant in Litchfield, Ohio has an All-You-Can-Eat Whitefish Dinner on Fridays. If You go there, tell them that You want your Fish Well-Done because Whitefish seem to have a lot of moisture in their Flesh which gets the Breading soggy. Well-Done takes care of that problem.
Jigging Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 08:07 AM   #15
Jmsteele187

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigging Jim View Post
The Hungry Bear Restaurant in Litchfield, Ohio has an All-You-Can-Eat Whitefish Dinner on Fridays. If You go there, tell them that You want your Fish Well-Done because Whitefish seem to have a lot of moisture in their Flesh which gets the Breading soggy. Well-Done takes care of that problem.
That just sounds like asking for dry, over cooked fish to me. Over cooked fish is the reason I thought all fish was gross and wouldn't eat it for almost a decade. After cooking it right, myself, and eating it at a few places that knew what they were doing. I'm back to being one who loves to eat fish.
Old 11-01-2013, 12:58 AM   #16
Jigging Jim

Send a message via Yahoo to Jigging Jim
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmsteele187 View Post
That just sounds like asking for dry, over cooked fish to me. Over cooked fish is the reason I thought all fish was gross and wouldn't eat it for almost a decade. After cooking it right, myself, and eating it at a few places that knew what they were doing. I'm back to being one who loves to eat fish.
Please don't shoot the Messenger...lol.
Jigging Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 03:53 AM   #17
Talonman

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmittyN330 View Post
I grew up in Traverse City Michigan. We used small 3' jigging poles, using swedish pimples.

https://www.google.com/search?q=swee...mples&tbm=shop
Talonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 08:55 AM   #18
Jmsteele187

Quote:
Please don't shoot the Messenger...lol.
I didn't mean for that to sound negative toward you, sorry. Just throwing out my opinion on over cooked fish. I'll even eat certain types of fish more on the medium side. I just can't ruin a nice piece of tuna or salmon by cooking it well done. But, all other fish I want just cooked through. Smoked fish is another story all together.
Old 11-02-2013, 06:05 PM   #19
buckeyebowman

Quote:
I'm certainly no Whitefish expert, but everything I've read about them indicated that their flesh was quite oily. In some parts of the country they are known as "smokers", as in smoking was the only way to render them edible.

I'm not a big fan of oily fleshed fish. Even with salmon, and I love salmon, I will make sure to remove the lateral line which is loaded with tiny, oil filled glands. The salmon uses the lateral line to sense vibrations in the water. Whatever, it is NASTY tasting and I get rid of it.
buckeyebowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 10:15 PM   #20
Jmsteele187

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyebowman View Post
I'm certainly no Whitefish expert, but everything I've read about them indicated that their flesh was quite oily. In some parts of the country they are known as "smokers", as in smoking was the only way to render them edible.

I'm not a big fan of oily fleshed fish. Even with salmon, and I love salmon, I will make sure to remove the lateral line which is loaded with tiny, oil filled glands. The salmon uses the lateral line to sense vibrations in the water. Whatever, it is NASTY tasting and I get rid of it.
Smoking them is definitely NOT the only way to make them edible. However they are very good smoked. You can cook them any way you would cook walleye or perch, they're really good baked.