Ohio Game Fishing

Go Back  Ohio Game Fishing Community > Ohio Fishing Reports > Northwest Ohio Fishing Reports >

Bressler's Fich kill!!!!!

Old 08-22-2013, 12:46 PM   #1
Rick_Mouth_Bass

Default Bressler's Fish kill!!!!!

I was up at Bressler's the two night's ago and seen hundreds of dead fish mostly channel cat but also some walleye and crappie and a few bass. I contacted dnr to look into the problem. I'm not sure but think maybe from hog crap getting pumped in just a theory ... But for some reason the algae level have been up this year usually its just certain times of the year but it has been mossed up all year and thick.

Last edited by Rick_Mouth_Bass; 08-22-2013 at 05:13 PM.
Rick_Mouth_Bass is offline   Reply With Quote

Register today to remove this advertisement IT'S FREE

Old 08-22-2013, 02:30 PM   #2
Lynxis

Thats awful news....
Lynxis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 02:37 PM   #3
M.Magis

They actually let people pump hog manure into a lake?
M.Magis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 03:16 PM   #4
injun laker45

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.Magis View Post
They actually let people pump hog manure into a lake?
That's not a lake he's referring to...it's a fresh water reservoir!
injun laker45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 04:10 PM   #5
M.Magis

Quote:
Originally Posted by injun laker45 View Post
That's not a lake he's referring to...it's a fresh water reservoir!
Either way. Do they actually allow that? Seems hard to believe.
Old 08-22-2013, 04:12 PM   #6
Lynxis

The water is pumped in from a nearby river/creek. The reservoir is used for the drinking water for Lima.
Old 08-22-2013, 04:17 PM   #7
ChallieS

no they don't. What RMB is trying to sensationalize is the fact that the water that ends up in the upground reservoir comes from the Auglaize River. There could be runoff from land application but the big bad farmer does not intentionally put manure of any sort in any body of water. I do not argue that there could be algae in there but as far as fish kills go they have been happening in there for years. When the water experiences a turnover, some fish do die. Besides, Bresslers does not have very good fishing nor never has.
ChallieS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 04:22 PM   #8
Lynxis

I don't know where you get your "not very good fishing nor never has" sentiment, but I find it inaccurate. I don't believe there is or was a better channel cat fishery anywhere around.
Old 08-22-2013, 04:43 PM   #9
AEFISHING
Crappie Freak

It used to be an awesome bluegill spot
AEFISHING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 04:49 PM   #10
M.Magis

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChallieS View Post
no they don't. What RMB is trying to sensationalize is the fact that the water that ends up in the upground reservoir comes from the Auglaize River. There could be runoff from land application but the big bad farmer does not intentionally put manure of any sort in any body of water. I do not argue that there could be algae in there but as far as fish kills go they have been happening in there for years. When the water experiences a turnover, some fish do die. Besides, Bresslers does not have very good fishing nor never has.
Thatís kind of what I was thinking, but not knowing the area I wasnít sure. There are fish kills every single summer, not sure why everyone is surprised when it happens. We should pretty much assume it will.
Old 08-22-2013, 04:56 PM   #11
RedCanoe59

I would have to agree with lynxis about the fishing in bresslers. I wouldnt go so far as to say its the best cat lake, but it is good. I moved from northeastern ohio back to the lima area and it has been a pretty good, even compared to really good lakes like mosqito, berlin, west branch and milton. But thank you challies for sticking up for farmers, it is funny how many sportsmen on these forums express hate for the farmers spring and summer, but are his best friend in the fall when looking for hunting permission.
RedCanoe59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 04:57 PM   #12
Rick_Mouth_Bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.Magis View Post
Either way. Do they actually allow that? Seems hard to believe.
No. Sorry I meant they pump it in the augliaze river and they pump from the river into the reservoir . like i said just a theory but as much as it happens on the river i would doubt thats what its from.
Old 08-22-2013, 05:04 PM   #13
Rick_Mouth_Bass

[QUOTE=Rick_Mouth_Bass;1686344]I agree there is also tons of nice smallies and perch and crappie and walleye. But as far as turn over the water is not turning over right now , and i know it does kill some fish but not like what i say out there it was crazy.
Old 08-23-2013, 04:02 PM   #14
ChallieS

RMB show us where the manure gets pumped into the river or shut up about it.
Old 08-23-2013, 05:03 PM   #15
Rick_Mouth_Bass

[QUOTE=ChallieS;1686932]RMB show us where the manure gets pumped into the river or shut up about it.[/QUOTE

like i said just a theory.. As much as it does happen , it could be from it no need to get all bent out of shape . but like i said that water IS NOT TURNING OVER RIGHT NOW! so thats definitely not it .
You talk like this is something that doesn't ever happen.
Old 08-23-2013, 06:10 PM   #16
ChallieS

Never said it does not run in as run off. I do say and will stand by my statement that it is NOT pumped in intentionally. I own over 1000 acres with several woods and some stream access that many have trespassed on numerous times. I do not take kindly to someone who gets pissed off because his natural resource is not perfect and then wants to blame the farmer. I do not have any manure on my land and do practice numerous conservation practices that cost me dearly with no return. Comments like yours make my living hard by all of the regulations that are put in place to please people like you with their "THEORIES" REGARDLESS OF HOW WELL FOUNDED THEY ARE. My only recourse is to eliminate all access to my land and prosecute to the fullest extent of the law any who enter it without permission, which I am strongly considering. Hope all your fellow OGFers send you a thank you. There are many other landowners with the same sentiment.
Old 08-23-2013, 07:45 PM   #17
Rick_Mouth_Bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChallieS View Post
Never said it does not run in as run off. I do say and will stand by my statement that it is NOT pumped in intentionally. I own over 1000 acres with several woods and some stream access that many have trespassed on numerous times. I do not take kindly to someone who gets pissed off because his natural resource is not perfect and then wants to blame the farmer. I do not have any manure on my land and do practice numerous conservation practices that cost me dearly with no return. Comments like yours make my living hard by all of the regulations that are put in place to please people like you with their "THEORIES" REGARDLESS OF HOW WELL FOUNDED THEY ARE. My only recourse is to eliminate all access to my land and prosecute to the fullest extent of the law any who enter it without permission, which I am strongly considering. Hope all your fellow OGFers send you a thank you. There are many other landowners with the same sentiment.
Well we dont need another dust bowl so we have to keep the farmers in check.
Old 08-24-2013, 07:08 AM   #18
M.Magis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick_Mouth_Bass View Post
Well we dont need another dust bowl so we have to keep the farmers in check.
Let me guess, you know zero about farming? Don't make asumptions, and especially don't make assumptions and then post them on the internet as fact. Fact is, no one is pumping manute into a waterway, and it's a stupid and irresponsible thing to even say. I'm sure you got the idea from some other idiot posting such nonsense on the internet, and you've continued the cycle. Take the time to understand how things actually work before posting your "theories" online. I've seen reports of fishermen dumping things into waterways, killing tons of fish. Should we theorize you do the same? Of course not.
Old 08-24-2013, 02:57 PM   #19
Lynxis

Since the water level is very high for this time of year in Bresler's, it is difficult to pinpoint why a fishkill of this magnitude would happen.

Recent kills this size in this area have only happened do to excess fertilizer or diesel fuel leaks into bodies of water.