Ohio Game Fishing

Go Back  Ohio Game Fishing Community > Ohio Fishing Reports > Northwest Ohio Fishing Reports >

Big Head Carp in Maumee River

Old 08-21-2013, 08:26 PM   #1
Weekender#1

Default Big Head Carp in Maumee River

In the Sunday Toledo Blade there was an article on Big head Carp DNA found in the Maumee River. The Maumee and the Walbash Rivers each have their headwaters out of the same swamp in Fort Wayne, IN, the Walbash is infested with those fish. a Fence was placed in the swamp to keep the carp out of the Maumee, I guess they forgot they start as mini minnows.
Weekender#1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Register today to remove this advertisement IT'S FREE

Old 08-22-2013, 04:49 AM   #2
kprice

Just because they found DNA in the Maumee does not necessarily mean that they're in the Maumee river, and have enough of a population to become relevant in the Maumee. Pretty sure the fence you're talking about is an electric fence, so mini minnows you're talking about would be dead mini minnows. I really hope that the Maumee does not get taken over with Asian carp, because the river is a great fishery.
kprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 09:50 AM   #3
rutnut245

Default Bighead carp

Kyle, Weekender is spot on about the fence, it's a chain link. I've never personally seen it but have seen pictures. I had a discussion about this last year at Maumee tackle with Matt Markey.
The water in the minnow tanks at a lot of area bait shops was tested for Asian carp DNA. It is believed that the DNA is present in the water that golden shiners are shipped to Ohio in from Arkansas where the Goldies come from. DNA was also found in Sandusky Bay and it's believed to come from fishermen dumping their unused bait into the water or at least that's what I was told.
Old 08-22-2013, 05:35 PM   #4
kprice

Quote:
Originally Posted by rutnut245 View Post
Kyle, Weekender is spot on about the fence, it's a chain link. I've never personally seen it but have seen pictures. I had a discussion about this last year at Maumee tackle with Matt Markey.
The water in the minnow tanks at a lot of area bait shops was tested for Asian carp DNA. It is believed that the DNA is present in the water that golden shiners are shipped to Ohio in from Arkansas where the Goldies come from. DNA was also found in Sandusky Bay and it's believed to come from fishermen dumping their unused bait into the water or at least that's what I was told.
I was thinking of the electric fence keeping them out of the Chicago canal. My mistake. The DNA found could be from a number of different sources. I think that the states involved are definitely taking serious precautions to keeping these non native fish out of our waterways that are not infested presently. I have read a handful of articles over the years that cover Asian Carp and DNA findings. It seems that every article finds 1 DNA sample out of a couple hundred of samples. I'm no expert on Asian carp, but it seems that once these fish populate a waterway that it does not take long for them to completely infest and destroy a fishery. I guess only time will tell.
kprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 07:02 PM   #5
bountyhunter

Default carp

in the end guys it,s just a matter of time before you gotta take your catchers mitt fishing, and wear your motorcycle helmet at all times. an electric fence is a joke , poison the darn river. around my area power outages happen all yr long .so whats a fence gonna do ,
bountyhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 09:07 PM   #6
firelands

Unhappy Asian carp

It seems like the "powers that be" aren't interested enough to do what's REALLY necessary!

Once the horse is out of the barn it sure as **** isn't going to get put back in!

I've talked to Division of Wildlife people who didn't seem to even know what an AC is at a couple of area fairs. I've talked to Corp of Engineers people with similar results.

If they truly get established in Ohio waters it's GAME OVER! Once they get into Erie the whole state's waters aren't far behind!

How much revenue is at stake here? Surely enough to do something that will eliminate this threat!

If need be, CLOSE the Chicago shipping canal! Surely an alternative can be found!

If you read this and have some power in the necessary area PLEASE,PLEASE, do something!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
firelands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 09:08 PM   #7
rutnut245

Default Asian carp

To be honest, when I first heard of the fence across the swamp I thought it was a joke. Not that I have a better idea, of which I'm sure there are many. It just seemed like a very Homer Simpsonish response to a very serious situation.
Old 08-23-2013, 08:10 AM   #8
Weekender#1

Default To late

It was a couple of years ago that the University of Notre Dame, South Bend, IN. One of the groups there were charged with building a barrier in the swamp. They engineered the item and installed it, I have to hope they figured in floods. Swamps are some tricky bodies of water with trickles here and there, changing quickly. The Wabash river is one that you have seen video of with boats speeding up and down it with the silver/bigheaded carp being netted, shot and all kinds of happenings.
Old 08-26-2013, 11:37 AM   #9
jlieder

I too fear that the AC will eventually decimate the Great lakes, esp. Lake Erie and the Maumee River. Many scientists believe that the Maumee provides perfect breeding grounds for the AC. We should clearly do all that is necessary to try and keep them out; but even then, all those efforts are likely to fail over time. The fish are already "outta the bag" so to speak, and we are unlikely to get things together enough to stop them in time. At least that's the way it looks to me.

I also though, remeber the tremendous angst over the arrival of the Round Goby in the Lake. Lots of talk about decimated fisheries, etc..in the 80's, and the Goby's well known raiding of eggs of some of the most highlly prized gamefish in the lake.

Well three decades later, the Goby has had some negatives effects, but is also largely responsible for the explosion in Small Mouth Bass in the big lake. Erie is now one of the top if not the top SMB fisheries in the world. They are literally feasting on all of those invasive Gobies. I've seen recent studies that indicate that the Goby has become the exclusive diet of some SMB populations in the lake. There is a similar (albeit older) story with the earlier invasion of the Lamprey and subsequent collapse of Lake Trout and White Fish populations that have since rebounded some with the efforts of science and management strategies.

I guess the take-away is that invasive species need to be addressed, and if possible stopped/limited. But, NOBODY including scientists can accurately predict what the eventual impact will be once they are here. We should take solace in that as the shrieks of an Asian Carp apocolypse grow louder.
jlieder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 12:24 PM   #10
SteelEyes

Granted I've never walked/seen the whole thing, but my understanding is that the current control at Eagle Marsh is a berm with the fence on top of it. That said based upon the recent GLMRIS Study/Report and some news articles I believe they (more Indiana DNR than the Corp) are moving ahead with upgrading the barrier. They plan to rebuild the berm where needed. Cna't remember where I saw it but believe the intent is to build the berm up above the 100 year flood stage.

http://glmris.anl.gov/documents/docs...ols_Report.pdf
Plus full report
http://glmris.anl.gov/documents/docs...ols_Report.pdf

All that said, if something isn't done about the Chicago Waterway system, then all other efforts are just delaying the inevitable.
SteelEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 05:16 PM   #11
Weekender#1

Default Toledo Blade

I am out of town this week but in the Sunday Toledo Blade it had a teaser that in Todays paper Monday 8-26-13, there was going to be a article on the DNA of the Asian Carp and the maumee river. Just wondering if any one saw it.
Old 08-26-2013, 11:58 PM   #12
fisherboy

Nothing new except that they found some DNA (1 of the species) in the Maumee by the Martin Luther King Bridge (Cherry St. Bridge). Out of 125 or so samples.
fisherboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 11:15 PM   #13
Flathead76
Carp53.65

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlieder View Post
I too fear that the AC will eventually decimate the Great lakes, esp. Lake Erie and the Maumee River. Many scientists believe that the Maumee provides perfect breeding grounds for the AC. We should clearly do all that is necessary to try and keep them out; but even then, all those efforts are likely to fail over time. The fish are already "outta the bag" so to speak, and we are unlikely to get things together enough to stop them in time. At least that's the way it looks to me.

I also though, remeber the tremendous angst over the arrival of the Round Goby in the Lake. Lots of talk about decimated fisheries, etc..in the 80's, and the Goby's well known raiding of eggs of some of the most highlly prized gamefish in the lake.

Well three decades later, the Goby has had some negatives effects, but is also largely responsible for the explosion in Small Mouth Bass in the big lake. Erie
is now one of the top if not the top SMB fisheries in the world. They are
literally feasting on all of those invasive Gobies. I've seen recent studies that
indicate that the Goby has become the exclusive diet of some SMB populations
in the lake. There is a similar (albeit older) story with the earlier invasion of
the Lamprey and subsequent collapse of Lake Trout and White Fish populations
that have since rebounded some with the efforts of science and management
strategies.

I guess the take-away is that invasive species need to be addressed, and if possible stopped/limited. But, NOBODY including scientists can accurately predict what the eventual impact will be once they are here. We should take
solace in that as the shrieks of an Asian Carp apocolypse grow louder.

You should take a weekend trip to KY or Barkley Lakes. Drive an aluminum boat just below the speed it takes to get on plane. Or around any backwater bay. Once you get pegged in the head, and have your boat hammered with silver carp you might change your tune.

These fish aint no joke-they will come, and they will completely choke out entire water systems. Maybe after they overpopulate and die off from starvation MAYBE they will 'stabilize' and become a part of the existing system; they are still relatively new though, so who knows......
Flathead76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 12:10 PM   #14
jlieder

You should take a weekend trip to KY or Barkley Lakes. Drive an aluminum boat just below the speed it takes to get on plane. Or around any backwater bay. Once you get pegged in the head, and have your boat hammered with silver carp you might change your tune.

These fish aint no joke-they will come, and they will completely choke out entire water systems. Maybe after they overpopulate and die off from starvation MAYBE they will 'stabilize' and become a part of the existing system; they are still relatively new though, so who knows......

I appreciate the real concern...and i said as much in my post. My point is that noone knows what the impact will be when they hit the great lakes. The ecosystem in the lakes is unique, and it ain't like any river or any lake in Kentucky. The truth is no one knows what the eventual impact will be, but given the differences in eco-systems and the uniquness of the great lakes, I'll make a bet that the impact will be in many ways different than it is in some lake in kentucky.

Again, I share your concern and know that it is no joke.
jlieder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 05:00 PM   #15
Daveo76

We've been catching a few from the Ohio River, not the silvers that jump, but the Big Heads and they have a mouth the size of a skillet!! Here are a couple over 40 lbs and they just showed up.
Attached Thumbnails
Northwest Ohio Fishing Reports - Click for larger version   Northwest Ohio Fishing Reports - Click for larger version   Northwest Ohio Fishing Reports - Click for larger version  
Daveo76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 11:51 PM   #16
PARK92
fish breath

That's pictures a little scary. I work right on the Maumee river and talk to a lot of boaters and fisherman as well as fishing the river growing up. All of this is down river from perrysburg and haven't heard of anyone seeing or catching any. Does anyone know how they come up with the DNA to say these fish could possibly be present?
PARK92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 12:25 AM   #17
fisherboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveo76 View Post
We've been catching a few from the Ohio River, not the silvers that jump, but the Big Heads and they have a mouth the size of a skillet!! Here are a couple over 40 lbs and they just showed up.
Were they caught by hook & line normally or were they snaged or neted. As an aside a while back I read where there are some ways they could make it to Lake Erie from the Ohio River. Connecting rivers, creeks & some flooding on a couple of streams. Not totaly impossible. As another aside I read that the fish are tasty if cooked properly.
Old 08-29-2013, 08:20 AM   #18
Jmsteele187

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveo76 View Post
I've caught fish similar to these in the maumee, about 5 years ago. It was one of the first times I had been fishing after I moved to Toledo, and it was my first trip to providence dam. At the time, I didn't know anything about Asian carp so I just let it go. I just thought it was a very strange looking carp. I've seen them schooled up right below the dam quite a few times, and now always wonder if they're Asian carp or something else.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Jmsteele187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 09:19 AM   #19
SteelEyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlieder View Post

Well three decades later, the Goby has had some negatives effects, but is also largely responsible for the explosion in Small Mouth Bass in the big lake. Erie is now one of the top if not the top SMB fisheries in the world. They are literally feasting on all of those invasive Gobies. I've seen recent studies that indicate that the Goby has become the exclusive diet of some SMB populations in the lake. There is a similar (albeit older) story with the earlier invasion of the Lamprey and subsequent collapse of Lake Trout and White Fish populations that have since rebounded some with the efforts of science and management strategies.
Think your understanding of the effects of gobys on smallmouth is incorrect. We fished for smallmouth in Lake Erie in the 80s before the gobys arrived, and it was a world class fishery then too. Data from the Great Lakes Fishery Commission (in 2003) shows the smallmouth population had been "stable" for the last 20 years. My understanding is that we've managed the impacts of the Gobys on smallmouth (actually all species of black bass) by changing fishing regulations so that you cannot keep smallmouth during the spawn / post-spawn season. That way the smallmouth can remain to protect their eggs from the goby's and the bass populations don't get decimated.
But as you infer not all the consequences of goby are negative, from that same GLFC report they note how goby consume nearshore zebra mussels, thus taking energy that had been locked up in mussel communities and getting it back into the greater lake erie food web.
SteelEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 10:18 AM   #20
fisherboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmsteele187 View Post
I've caught fish similar to these in the maumee, about 5 years ago. It was one of the first times I had been fishing after I moved to Toledo, and it was my first trip to providence dam. At the time, I didn't know anything about Asian carp so I just let it go. I just thought it was a very strange looking carp. I've seen them schooled up right below the dam quite a few times, and now always wonder if they're Asian carp or something else.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
I"m sure you must be talking about a type of sucker known as a buffalo which gets rather lartge & is gray/