Notices

Go Back  Ohio Game Fishing Community > Hunter's Lodge > Bucks and Does >

2013 Rut

Old 08-13-2013, 10:29 AM   #1
hillbillybelownewphilly

Default 2013 Rut

I don't know about you fellas, but I'm starting to get antsy for bow season. I have a weeks worth of vacation left and wanna spend it in the woods. was curious if any of you guys have any predictions on when the rut will come in this year. I remember last year it was pushed back due to the warmer weather, but we have had a fairly cool summer. What do ya'll think?

Team Rockabilly - Cattin the Tusc river all year long

Last edited by hillbillybelownewphilly; 08-13-2013 at 10:33 AM.
hillbillybelownewphilly is offline   Reply With Quote

Register today to remove this advertisement IT'S FREE

Old 08-13-2013, 12:06 PM   #2
Shaun69007
Bag'em and Tag'em

I dont think rut gets "pushed" back it just goes nocternal when it is warm out. I will be taking off the first of November. I perfer to hunt the early "trolling" time of the rut instead of the locked down with does rut.
Shaun69007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 01:14 PM   #3
BaddFish
Searchin for Skees & Eyes

I like the pre-rut too.. 2 years ago I was right on time for the rut, Nov 7th/8th HOWEVER I was 100 yds outside the thicket. Zero deer left the thicket and I didn't see squat until the last night...because I moved into the thicket & Of course right at dark because it was so warm.

Temps in 50's & low 60's - between Halloween & Nov 9th- YA BABY, Can't Wait!
BaddFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 02:02 PM   #4
fishmeister

If you go by moon phases like charlie alsheimer, peak should be around 16th through 22nd. I don't know if I believe that though. I will be in the stand from the 6th through the 15th.
fishmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 05:40 PM   #5
VitalShot

I always like right around Veterans Day

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
VitalShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 07:02 PM   #6
Cajunsaugeye

I've killed my bucks on Nov.5th the last 3yrs in a row.Not planned,don't take time off work,that's just the way it's happened.I too like the last wk in Oct. thru first wk in Nov.GREAT time to be rattling.

Sent from my VS870 4G using Ohub Campfire mobile app
Cajunsaugeye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 07:09 PM   #7
Lundy

The rut doesn't change, it is determined by the length of daylight not temperature
Lundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 08:08 PM   #8
Carpman

Send a message via AIM to Carpman

This year we will have guns in the woods before the rut.....so that will change things big time.

The lethargic trout is what I target!
Carpman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 12:17 PM   #9
BanksideBandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpman View Post
This year we will have guns in the woods before the rut.....so that will change things big time.
x2...my public land rut plans will be changed to thicker areas and going deeper into the woods. Late muzzleloader season doesn't get too many hunters where I'm at but I feel like since it's in Oct. it will get a lot of people out.
BanksideBandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 10:58 AM   #10
crappiedude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpman View Post
There's always guns in the woods before the rut. Dove season comes early in Sept and even though it may not be in the woods, there is plenty of shooting going on close by. Also squirrel season gets people moving around shooting in the woods.
I hunt in southern Clermont Co, it seems I hear shooting constantly while I'm hunting. Between the guy shooting the 50 cal on one farm and another guy shooting his AR fully automatic on another farm, some days I wonder if I'm having flashbacks.

Both KY's and Indiana's gun seasons coincide with the rut and the rut still goes on just fine. I really don't think a few ML shoots are going to have any effect on the deer rut in OH.
crappiedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 02:42 AM   #11
treytd32
She says I'm on one

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by crappiedude View Post
I hunt in southern Clermont Co, it seems I hear shooting constantly while I'm hunting. Between the guy shooting the 50 cal on one farm and another guy shooting his AR fully automatic on another farm, some days I wonder if I'm having flashbacks.

You sure you don't hunt in Butler Co? lol I experience the same thing from my neighboring properties. ARs lighting up old barns and chest thumping .50 rounds into a pond while I'm in the stand
Old 08-20-2013, 02:50 AM   #12
treytd32
She says I'm on one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundy View Post
The rut doesn't change, it is determined by the length of daylight not temperature
interesting tidbit lundy, in your experience is there a certain length you've found is better than others? I am going to have to go back and rewatch my footage when the most bucks appeared and see when sun up and down were.
Old 08-20-2013, 05:39 AM   #13
crappiedude

Quote:
Originally Posted by treytd32 View Post

You sure you don't hunt in Butler Co? lol I experience the same thing from my neighboring properties. ARs lighting up old barns and chest thumping .50 rounds into a pond while I'm in the stand
I'm close, I hunt in Clermont. I often wonder how they can afford to do it. They have to shoot 100s of rounds and it seems to be everyday.
crappiedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 07:23 AM   #14
Flathead King 06
click...click...click

Send a message via AIM to Flathead King 06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundy View Post
True but temps will affect "seeing" the rut. If it's too hot they will just go noctural, and then just hope and pray you can be in a stand when they decide to head for bed and get back up in the first few and last few moments of light each day.

In search of that elusive hawg flathead...
Flathead King 06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 08:44 AM   #15
Lundy

Trollin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by treytd32 View Post
interesting tidbit lundy, in your experience is there a certain length you've found is better than others? I am going to have to go back and rewatch my footage when the most bucks appeared and see when sun up and down were.
Just do searches for information, there is plenty of research available.

Once the amount of daylight triggers the hormones temp doesn't play much of a role just as prom night temp has no effect on desires and activity pursuits

Mother Nature at her finest. Have you ever heard of even one year where the birth rate for deer was low the following spring because the temp was warm during the rut? No, it doesn't work that way. The rut goes on every year at the same times with little variations
Lundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 09:31 AM   #16
crittergitter
Multi Species Angler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flathead King 06 View Post
True but temps will affect "seeing" the rut. If it's too hot they will just go noctural, and then just hope and pray you can be in a stand when they decide to head for bed and get back up in the first few and last few moments of light each day.
Yes, good post.
Old 08-20-2013, 01:07 PM   #17
Buckeyeguyty93

Last year at least for me it seemed to hit right after the hurricane hit out here, while this was in northeast ohio, id say out of the 8 of us hunting the propety 6 Bucks hit the ground within a week, with many of them having does in tow or coming to a doe decoy
Buckeyeguyty93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 07:08 PM   #18
treytd32
She says I'm on one

I've searched academic journals before while looking for research proposals and couldn't find much information on the topic. Never really thought to try just a regular internet search lol
Old 08-20-2013, 10:33 PM   #19
Junebug2320

Little or no deer movement for me/us on the first week of November last two years... In 2008 (my last buck I shot) we hit it right and had bucks running around the cabin hounding doe-- not seeing good amounts of deer, bucks or doe past few years...
Junebug2320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 01:35 PM   #20
Odin

Default Rut Observations

Wildlife biologists state that the length of light in the day determines the rut every year, however observations from most hunters will tell you different. My own experience is that the timing of the first frost and dropping of acorns, has just as much effect on the rut as available daylight. There have been years when the deer started chasing in the middle of October, and some when they were chasing in November. Crazy as it sounds, when the road kill deer start showing up on the freeway in the fall, it's a good indicator that the deer are in the chase mode. I have tried to match the "tables" to deer sightings in the woods and they never match up. Moon cycles are another "table" that don't pan out for me. In the fall the deer are consistently feeding for winter, and the thing that changes their patterns the most is wind direction. The deer seem to move in circles, returning to the same place to feed every couple of days. If the wind changes direction ( like coming from the east or southeast which is unusual) the deer will be seen in places they normally don't frequent. The nocturnal thing also changes their patterns. Ever since they put the youth gun season the weekend before regular gun season, the deer have been mostly nocturnal at my deer hunting property during gun season.
Odin is offline   Reply With Quote