Ohio Game Fishing

Go Back  Ohio Game Fishing Community > Ohio Fishing Reports > Lake Erie Fishing Reports > Lake Erie General Discussions >

Setting an Anchor

Old 06-22-2013, 05:36 PM   #1
Sculpin67

Default Setting an Anchor

I have a dansforth anchor with chain. Is there a special way to set the anchor, to allow it to grab quicker.

The waves weren't that bad this morning, and I still had problems getting it to set at Wildwood. Tried a new Digger, but it didn't catch, but I only have 100' of rope right now. We were in 38' FOW.
Sculpin67 is offline   Reply With Quote

Register today to remove this advertisement IT'S FREE

Old 06-22-2013, 05:46 PM   #2
OSUdaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculpin67 View Post
I have a dansforth anchor with chain. Is there a special way to set the anchor, to allow it to grab quicker.

The waves weren't that bad this morning, and I still had problems getting it to set at Wildwood. Tried a new Digger, but it didn't catch, but I only have 100' of rope right now. We were in 38' FOW.
You need a minimum ratio of 3:1 (scope) for the anchor to set properly.

http://www.bottrell.ca/BoatDocs/Anch...0of%20Rode.pdf

Last edited by OSUdaddy; 06-22-2013 at 06:41 PM.
OSUdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 06:34 PM   #3
c. j. stone

I've seen guys grab anchor, chain and all and just "heave " it into the water. Not saying you do that but if dropped over the side like that, sometimes the ring and the chain is down near the tines and can get tangled with the anchor in the release position. It won't work at all like that. When pulled up, everthing will line up like it should have been when let over board and appear like it was the anchor not working. It should be let down slowly to completely eliminate probs.
Get another 100 ft of rope also.
c. j. stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 07:04 PM   #4
boatnut

Actually you need more like 5 to 1 scope and that is just for a "lunch hook". 7 to 1 for overnighting and 10 to 1 for storms. 150' of rope should be the minimum you carry and 200 is better.
Old 06-24-2013, 12:05 AM   #5
Bobinstow90

What's your chain length? Recommended is something like 5-8'.....check CG recommendation.

Proper chain length plays a big part in creating the angle that helps an anchor dig in. Sometimes sharpening the "dig points" helps.

Adding another 100' of line would be a good idea. Find and read the CG info......lots of helpful suggestions.
Old 06-24-2013, 04:56 AM   #6
FISHIN 2

Default Setting up

I like to let anchor out slowly, hit bottom, then pay line out slowly. You will know when it is trying to grab. Let out a little more, holding onto rope the whole time and you will feel it when it hooks, if it doesn't, you need a longer rode chain to hold it down to get it to dig, or bottom conditions need to change, Mike
Old 06-26-2013, 07:44 PM   #7
sem-eye

I have a digger too. Love it. diggers don't use chain. I drop it over and pay line. The windier it is, the more line I pay out. I carry 250 ft but have never needed more than prolly 150 so far, and that was in 3-5's. once you tie off, doesn't take long to dig in, always comes up with clay-mud on the fluke tips. When they're new, the release spring is very strong, takes a really hard jerk to get it to pop. Just a small learning curve with them, keep messing with it and won't be long till you love it too
sem-eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 08:31 PM   #8
Sculpin67

I got my 200' of anchor line, and I'm planning to try out the digger again.

I looked at the digger today. I used it the one time, and some of the plastic has already rubbed through. Oh well, doesn't need to look pretty on the bottom of the lake.

I do like how the digger says to follow the directions, but there wasn't any directions in the box, lol.
Sculpin67 is offline   Reply With Quote