Ohio Game Fishing

Go Back  Ohio Game Fishing Community > General Discussions > Canoes & Kayaks >

Best Fish Finder for Kayaks

Old 06-11-2013, 08:09 AM   #1
Zachthebear

Default Best Fish Finder for Kayaks

I am looking to get a decent fish finder for my kayak but I am not sure what would be best. Any suggestions?
Zachthebear is offline   Reply With Quote

Register today to remove this advertisement IT'S FREE

Old 06-11-2013, 10:24 AM   #2
SeanStone

I have a hummingbird 346di which is a color screen down imaging unit. It allows you to put both normal sonar and down imaging on the same screen.....which is awesome. It also has a switch fire mode which allows you to view normal sonar on high intensity and low intensity. Which allows you to pick out larger more dense objects on the less intense screen and all of the foliage and bait fish on the higher intensity screen. I run it off of a 7 amp hour deer feeder battery and it lasts 4 separate 5 hour trips on a full charge. So its super energy efficient.

I dont think there is any other fish finder id rather have......ok if I had the model with gps itd be nice. But I have that on my phone.
SeanStone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 11:16 AM   #3
Zachthebear

I have a Hummingbird Pirahnamax 160 that I have never even opened (I was originally going to get a bass boat but got kayaks instead) but I am not sure that I can use it. I am trying to figure out the best way to power it. Obviously I am not going to use a marine battery on my kayak. Do you think that a deer feeder battery or something similar will power it? Thanks for the info
Old 06-11-2013, 11:37 AM   #4
toobnoob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zachthebear View Post
I have a Hummingbird Pirahnamax 160 that I have never even opened (I was originally going to get a bass boat but got kayaks instead) but I am not sure that I can use it. I am trying to figure out the best way to power it. Obviously I am not going to use a marine battery on my kayak. Do you think that a deer feeder battery or something similar will power it? Thanks for the info
If it's 12v it should, I have the 170 and use a trail cam battery box. I got it at gander mountain for $50 as I didn't feel like building a case for the standard 12v deer feeder battery that's inside. The case it comes in has a built in o-ring around the top and a charger plug w/ charger. The only thing I did was add an inline fuse to the cord. On a full charge it lasts a long time, not sure how long but I've done 3 floats without a charge and it was still going.
toobnoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 04:36 PM   #5
Stuhly

I have the Elite 4x DSI and look it.
Stuhly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 03:13 AM   #6
gilesri1

I have the lowrance elite 4 dsi and like it a lot. Nice size for a yak. Powered off a small 12 volt battery.
gilesri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 06:25 AM   #7
backlashed
Slayin' and filletin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zachthebear View Post
..... but I am not sure what would be best. Any suggestions?
You have to decide what is best. Most will work fine. Since things get very wet in a yak and there is always the threat of a dunk, I wouldn't spend too much and get one with a high water resistance rating.

If you have a SOT you can probably mount the transducer through a scupper. There are a lot of threads on through-the-hull mounting techniques as well.

I'd get one that is bright enough to be seen in sunlight.
backlashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 09:50 AM   #8
Zachthebear

Thanks for the input. I just got all of the stuff to put the fish finder on my kayak. I will put some pictures up of the process and the finished product.

Sent from my DROID4 using Ohub Campfire mobile app
"My father was very sure about certain matters pertaining to the universe. To him, all good things - trout as well as eternal salvation - came by grace; and grace comes by art; and art does not come easy."- A River Runs Through It
Old 06-16-2013, 09:10 PM   #9
silverbullet

I have used an old lowrance x4, an eagle magna and now a lowrance mark 4 chart/fish finder. I like the new unit with the side by side gps ff and the way the new technology marks fish is so much better than my old units.
Old 06-19-2013, 11:17 AM   #10
joer526

"Best" is a relative term. "Best" is what's best for what you want to use it for. I use a Lowrance X47 I found for cheap on CL. I power it with the battery from my 12v cordless drill. It works great. Simple & cheap, reads depths well. "Best" for me.
joer526 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 11:30 AM   #11
Zachthebear

Default Finished

I ended up getting a 12v battery from a local hardware store and placing it in a waterproof box. Velcroed the box to the bottom of the kayak and ran the power cable through a small hole I drilled and siliconed back. Velcroed the fish finder base to the top of the kayak and adhered the transducer to the bottom inside the hull (just behind battery) I am just running the cables through the hatch in the front b/c I did not feel like drilling holes in the kayak. Going to take it out today and test it. Not pretty but it works. I ended up using my pirahnamax 160.