Ohio Game Fishing

Go Back  Ohio Game Fishing Community > Ohio Fishing Reports > Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports >

What's killing the white bass?

Old 05-24-2013, 08:49 PM   #1
SeanStone

Default What's killing the white bass?

Fished under rocky fork lake for a little bit the other evening and there were hundreds of dead fish.....all white bass. Since they were all one species I assume its a virus of some sort. Any one heard anything?

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
SeanStone is offline   Reply With Quote

Register today to remove this advertisement IT'S FREE

Old 05-24-2013, 08:54 PM   #2
glasseyes

Fished under rocky fork?
glasseyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 10:35 PM   #3
SeanStone

Sorry...rocky fork creek. The creek that leaves the lake over the dam. We were in kayaks fishing.

SeanStone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 10:59 PM   #4
rustyfish

Columnaris is a bacteria often responsible for white bass kills, but tends follow extreme heat or other stress. And most other diseases are the same way. This time of year is usually not hard on the fish.

VHS (spring kill disease) is spreading across the country and does affect white bass. But I'm hoping it has not made it to our lakes.

Single White Male -looking for wild healthy mature Flathead. No smaller than 15 pounds but the bigger the better. Do not need to cook or clean, just needs enjoy munching on creek chubs and long fights on the beach. Please meet me tonight at the old scioto mill dam in Piketon. Ill be waiting
rustyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 08:39 AM   #5
ChrisReed

Fished there yesterday and odnr has had a boat out investigating the situation. I couldn't believe how many dead fish there were. The only thing the odnr guys said is that its mostly the white bass being affected but they have found a few largemouth and channels dead too.
ChrisReed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 06:43 PM   #6
mstone

http://timesgazette.com/index.asp Here is your answer...
mstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 08:09 PM   #7
glasseyes

How would sediment kill the fish, deprive from oxygen ? . I did notice last couple weeks we fished the spawn there, there were several creek floorings and the main feeder would swell and turn a chocolate color for several days. But I have seen this happen several times there over last few years, must have happened at just the right moment I guess to cause this. To bad but if its no worse then the crappie kill at Paint Creek lake last fall I was catching limits of them in November there so maybe it looks worse then it is, I hope.
glasseyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 10:45 AM   #8
rustyfish

Fish do not breath the oxygen that is part of the water bond H2O. They breath the oxygen that is dissolved into the water and is loosely held there by weak bonds and atmospheric pressure. Minerals in sediment take the place of this oxygen in water. Or something like that

But this still doesn't make sense to me. If it were just stress+O2 levels then any stressed fish should have died. The white bass were the only stressed fish in the lake and all those fish were at the peak of their spawning stress? No other fish in the lake are spawning right now or just came off spawn? I have had to explain a few fish kills in my day and that sounds like a pretty generic answer.

Single White Male -looking for wild healthy mature Flathead. No smaller than 15 pounds but the bigger the better. Do not need to cook or clean, just needs enjoy munching on creek chubs and long fights on the beach. Please meet me tonight at the old scioto mill dam in Piketon. Ill be waiting
rustyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 11:17 AM   #9
rguitar87

Well, it's about time this comes into play.
Attached Thumbnails
Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports - Click for larger version  
rguitar87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 01:40 PM   #10
SamiFish
squib'd

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post
http://timesgazette.com/index.asp Here is your answer...
I liked this bit, "If it's something ther than natural causes, we probably couldn't say anything because it would still be a pending investigation."

It sounds so much like the cops in their press releases, "That investigation is still ongoing, we never release information about an investigation that is underway."

It's like Murder She Wrote: Anglers Edition!

"i fish therefore i am. wait... what?"
SamiFish is offline   Reply With Quote