Ohio Game Fishing



Go Back  Ohio Game Fishing Community > Ohio Fishing Reports > Northwest Ohio Fishing Reports >

Oak Openings?

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2013, 07:08 PM   #1
Fishing4the Lamb
Senior Member
 

Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Toledo
Posts: 157
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default Oak Openings?

Has anyone been out there lately, and if so is anything biting? I'm looking to take my daughter out bluegill fishing, and jug for catfish as well.


Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Fishing4the Lamb is offline   Reply With Quote

Register today to remove this advertisement IT'S FREE



Old 04-12-2013, 08:33 PM   #2
Jmsteele187
Senior Member
 
Jmsteele187's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Toledo
Posts: 1,317
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

I've never really caught much out there, other than one fingerling perch and a dink gill. That perch had me going back for a little while, but never caught another one. Haven't been out there this year though.

How do you jug for cats from the bank? You can't put a boat in there can you?


Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Jmsteele187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 09:40 PM   #3
fisherboy
Senior Member
 
fisherboy's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Toledo, Oh
Posts: 331
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

A couple of years ago I caught around 10 crappies there the beginning of May while fishing for gills with a surface fly. Next day tried minnows. Caught about the same # of crappies. Last year I only caught a few on the fly in the same time span.

& I do see rowboats there every once in a while.

The pond I am refering to is Evergreen Lake.
fisherboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 10:14 PM   #4
Jmsteele187
Senior Member
 
Jmsteele187's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Toledo
Posts: 1,317
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisherboy View Post
A couple of years ago I caught around 10 crappies there the beginning of May while fishing for gills with a surface fly. Next day tried minnows. Caught about the same # of crappies. Last year I only caught a few on the fly in the same time span.

& I do see rowboats there every once in a while.

The pond I am refering to is Evergreen Lake.
I was also referring to evergreen lake. Is May early enough to beat the duck weed? I might have to try it with my kayak some time, but it's almost always covered with duck weed when I'm there. I just can't figure out how to fish in that stuff, I usually turn around and find someplace else to fish. The only time it wasn't covered in it was when I caught those perch, I think it was mid spring then.


Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Jmsteele187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 10:21 PM   #5
Fishing4the Lamb
Senior Member
 

Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Toledo
Posts: 157
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmsteele187 View Post
I've never really caught much out there, other than one fingerling perch and a dink gill. That perch had me going back for a little while, but never caught another one. Haven't been out there this year though.

How do you jug for cats from the bank? You can't put a boat in there can you?


Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
I tie the jug off on the bucket I throw the gills in.


Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Fishing4the Lamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 10:23 PM   #6
Fishing4the Lamb
Senior Member
 

Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Toledo
Posts: 157
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmsteele187 View Post
I was also referring to evergreen lake. Is May early enough to beat the duck weed? I might have to try it with my kayak some time, but it's almost always covered with duck weed when I'm there. I just can't figure out how to fish in that stuff, I usually turn around and find someplace else to fish. The only time it wasn't covered in it was when I caught those perch, I think it was mid spring then.


Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Try Mallard lake. There are some decent sized cats and bass. And carp too if you just want a fight.


Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Fishing4the Lamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 10:23 PM   #7
LatinoHeat
Senior Member
 

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Monroe
Posts: 168
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishing4the Lamb View Post
I tie the jug off on the bucket I throw the gills in.


Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Jug? Please explain. I do not follow
LatinoHeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 10:29 PM   #8
Fishing4the Lamb
Senior Member
 

Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Toledo
Posts: 157
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatinoHeat View Post
Jug? Please explain. I do not follow
The way I do it is I tie about 18 inches of line to a two liter bottle. I then tie a weight and a baited hook to it. And after I tether it to a tree or bucket I throw it out there and wait til a cat bites. Easiest way to get cats.


Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Fishing4the Lamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 10:44 PM   #9
Jmsteele187
Senior Member
 
Jmsteele187's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Toledo
Posts: 1,317
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishing4the Lamb View Post
Try Mallard lake. There are some decent sized cats and bass. And carp too if you just want a fight.


Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Someone told me there were blue cats in mallard, is that true?


Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Jmsteele187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 10:48 PM   #10
Fishing4the Lamb
Senior Member
 

Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Toledo
Posts: 157
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmsteele187 View Post
Someone told me there were blue cats in mallard, is that true?


Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Not that I am aware of. There are black carp though.


Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Fishing4the Lamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 10:52 PM   #11
Jmsteele187
Senior Member
 
Jmsteele187's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Toledo
Posts: 1,317
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishing4the Lamb View Post
Not that I am aware of. There are black carp though.


Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Yeah, he told me that they had stocked it with blues at one point. I wasn't really sure how accurate he was.


Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Jmsteele187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 11:43 PM   #12
LatinoHeat
Senior Member
 

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Monroe
Posts: 168
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishing4the Lamb View Post
The way I do it is I tie about 18 inches of line to a two liter bottle. I then tie a weight and a baited hook to it. And after I tether it to a tree or bucket I throw it out there and wait til a cat bites. Easiest way to get cats.


Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
That sounds pretty interesting. I'm going to have to YouTube a video of it so I can see how it is setup and see it in action. I love catching cats. Pound for pound some of the best fights. I like to fry them up with a cornmeal batter
LatinoHeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 12:04 AM   #13
fisherboy
Senior Member
 
fisherboy's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Toledo, Oh
Posts: 331
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmsteele187 View Post
I was also referring to evergreen lake. Is May early enough to beat the duck weed? I might have to try it with my kayak some time, but it's almost always covered with duck weed when I'm there. I just can't figure out how to fish in that stuff, I usually turn around and find someplace else to fish. The only time it wasn't covered in it was when I caught those perch, I think it was mid spring then.


Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Yes early May should be ok. Sometimes after heavy winds the duck weed will open up & give you a large area to fish.
fisherboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 10:48 AM   #14
Flathead76
Carp53.65
 

Join Date: May 2010
Location: Toledo
Posts: 1,222
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

Those ponds are hardly worth the time. I have taken the kids o a couple fishing derbies there. If they manage to catch around a pound of fish total they are gaurenteed a trophy.
Flathead76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 12:03 PM   #15
Fishing4the Lamb
Senior Member
 

Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Toledo
Posts: 157
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

I've gotten lucky there a few times. Then other times I was unlucky enough to follow a boy scout troop that couldn't figure out how to put chicken livers on a hook, so the basically dumped five pounds of liver in the water. Nothing was biting because they were full
Fishing4the Lamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 01:13 PM   #16
Fishing4the Lamb
Senior Member
 

Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Toledo
Posts: 157
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Scrapping the Oak Openings trip, I'm gonna hit WW Knight wildlife preserve.


Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Fishing4the Lamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 09:01 PM   #17
JimmyZ
Senior Member
 

Join Date: May 2004
Location: Rossford
Posts: 706
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

That's a good place. Nice gills in there. Some big bass to. I like the fact that you have to be fishing with a kid to fish there. No using minnows though.
JimmyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 09:08 PM   #18
Jmsteele187
Senior Member
 
Jmsteele187's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Toledo
Posts: 1,317
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

I don't remember seeing anywhere that you had to be fishing with a kid to fish there. I've fished a few times, with rangers nearby, and have never been stopped.

Or were you not talking about oak openings?


Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Jmsteele187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 09:16 PM   #19
HONKEREXTREME
Junior Member
 

Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: western basin lake erie
Posts: 24
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

a lot of small gills there
HONKEREXTREME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 09:17 PM   #20
Mortifero
Member
 

Join Date: May 2011
Location: Maumee, OH
Posts: 73
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

http://www.woodcountyparkdistrict.or...=74&Itemid=114

Says adults may only fish with youth.
Mortifero is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:34 PM.












Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2014, Game Fishing LLC