Ohio Game Fishing

Go Back  Ohio Game Fishing Community > Ohio Fishing Reports > Northeast Ohio Fishing Reports >

Mahoning River?

Old 03-22-2013, 10:21 PM   #1
Eye Tamer

Default Mahoning River?

Has anyone been jigging the Mahoning River for walleye yet off of Rt 225 in Alliance. Been there the last 2 weekends with no luck. Going to try tomorrow again and see if the action has started. I have been sucessful the past years in late March and early April. Will report back if anything is happening.
Eye Tamer is offline   Reply With Quote

Register today to remove this advertisement IT'S FREE

Old 03-22-2013, 10:39 PM   #2
buckeyebowman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvan Troller View Post
Has anyone been jigging the Mahoning River for walleye yet off of Rt 225 in Alliance. Been there the last 2 weekends with no luck. Going to try tomorrow again and see if the action has started. I have been sucessful the past years in late March and early April. Will report back if anything is happening.
Remember what the weather was like in late March early April, particularly last year? The water had to be a heck of a lot warmer then than it is now. I know everybody is antsy to get going, me included. But, there have been enough times in the past when I've gone out as soon as there was liquid water, froze my butt off, and caught nothing, for me to exercise a little patience. Wish you luck.
buckeyebowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 09:30 AM   #3
t.stuller

I've hit off Green bower a few times, with no luck. The water temps are still low.
t.stuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:19 AM   #4
yogi
fishing every mintue i ha

Hit the river in the after noon by the apple st spillway behind alliance city garage 1 walleye about 6 " and snagged a carp lots of follows white bass in anther week or so if weather permits it the it will be on that's going on past years not last year we were catching them last year year at this time it was the middle of the run they usally hang out in the corner pool sand were the water goes deep to the ripples in the water

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
1 small mouth 52 bluegill
1 crappie 32 bull head
yogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 11:28 AM   #5
village idiot

Tried Greenbower Rd. area several times over the last couple couple weeks, most recently 3/24 and 3/27 and still nothing biting. Need some rain to raise water temps and flow and then things should start to improve.

There are a few fish that have made their way up river to the 225 area and above but they are very tight lipped with the cold water.

Looks like we might get some rain easter sunday which should help things along.
village idiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 11:33 AM   #6
Crappie Slayr

can anyone tell me what might be a good river height for the fish to come in it was up a little from last weekend but it still seems low i googled mahoning river at alliance water temp and it tells me the river level and water temp which has hit 40 but im still not sure what an optimal level is also
went down last night from 5 til around dark no bites worked my way from gaskill trail head all the way down under 225 and about 400yds or so down river with no sucess did talk to a real nice guy back there for a while who said someone he knows caught a few the other day if ya see this bud send me a message maybe I can show ya a few spot around berlin my name is Joe and i remember you sayin you are on here so hit me up bud........all in all not much happening
Crappie Slayr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 12:08 PM   #7
village idiot

Im not sure if there is height and flow info available for that portion of the river. If there is, it would be great info to have.

I can tell you that the water level has continued to fall even with the snow melt from this week.

We need rain to warm and raise the river levels.
Old 03-28-2013, 12:27 PM   #8
Crappie Slayr

the thing i saw takes the water temp and river height 0.2 mi upstream from waterworks but no flow info...heres the link its close enough for me atleast for water temp ....http://waterdata.usgs.gov/usa/nwis/uv?03086500
Crappie Slayr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 01:16 PM   #9
yogi
fishing every mintue i ha

That's info for the spillway behind the alliance city water works to just befor greenbower Is where beech creek flows in to the mahoning covers a lot of fishing area as i was in employed last summer i have fished every part of that section of river and have caught walleye white bass large mouth crappie on a regular bassis channel catfish seen some huge Muskie last spring in that stretch

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
1 small mouth 52 bluegill
1 crappie 32 bull head
yogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 01:16 PM   #10
village idiot

Great info, thanks for sharing
Old 03-28-2013, 06:06 PM   #11
D.C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crappie Slayr View Post
the thing i saw takes the water temp and river height 0.2 mi upstream from waterworks but no flow info...heres the link its close enough for me atleast for water temp ....http://waterdata.usgs.gov/usa/nwis/uv?03086500
Great info! thanks for the link that will come in handy
D.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 06:43 PM   #12
Eye Tamer

Fished river again afternoon of 3/27 betweeen 225 bridge and waterworks. Water level was high and fast moving with very dirty clarity. Still have yet to land a walleye out of here. Guys say they are catching them but I have yet seen anyone come out of there with a fish. Im always the last one to leave. Warm weather and rain should help get things rolling this weekend. Going Friday and Saturday.
Eye Tamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 06:45 PM   #13
traderjim59

just left greenbower nothing, went over to millton spill way nothing. there was a guy catching a few small perch but, nothing to yell about. went over to mill and nothing. going to catwood tomorrow and hit the lake then maybe the spill way. get back later hope they come in soon. micky d's fish sandwish is starting to sound pretty good
traderjim59 is offline   Reply With Quote