Notices

Go Back  Ohio Game Fishing Community > General Discussions > Home & Garden >

Beginner with cactus

Old 03-13-2013, 07:37 PM   #1
IGbullshark
Im Old Gregg!

Default Beginner with cactus

hello all, im new to the whole gardening thing so i dont know much about anything. anyway, im starting a cactus collection this year and was wondering if anyone had any pointers? they will be staying indoors mostly (with the possible exception of summer). i have purchased a Golden Barrel and a Mini Cholla so far. i bought them from lowes today and will be starting the repotting process tomorrow since the soil mixture they come in is apparently horrible for cacti. some of the info i have found say that in order to repot you must remove all the mixture the cactus comes in. it turns really hard while at the store so while removing it some of the roots will break off. it then says that you need to let it sit out for about 3 days (roots exposed) before putting it in the new soil mixture allowing the broken toots to heal, otherwise the cactus will be pretty susceptible to disease and rot. has anyone else heard or done this? any other info you guys can provide would be great!

Check out my Youtube channel!http://www.youtube.com/user/IGbullsh...ow=grid&view=0
IGbullshark is offline   Reply With Quote

Register today to remove this advertisement IT'S FREE

Old 03-13-2013, 09:58 PM   #2
viper1

Default Well

Not a catus grower. But harden soil could hurt roots if you dont do it right on any plant. What Id do is to water it heavily until its was well moistened to root depth. This will probably require a few hours of time. When soft enough Id try to remove the cactus with some dirt attached this will hep prevent root shock. Then plant in a good soil lightly moistened and squeezed out for cactuses. Then Plant. I believe you have to be careful giving to much water too after there potted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGbullshark View Post
hello all, im new to the whole gardening thing so i dont know much about anything. anyway, im starting a cactus collection this year and was wondering if anyone had any pointers? they will be staying indoors mostly (with the possible exception of summer). i have purchased a Golden Barrel and a Mini Cholla so far. i bought them from lowes today and will be starting the repotting process tomorrow since the soil mixture they come in is apparently horrible for cacti. some of the info i have found say that in order to repot you must remove all the mixture the cactus comes in. it turns really hard while at the store so while removing it some of the roots will break off. it then says that you need to let it sit out for about 3 days (roots exposed) before putting it in the new soil mixture allowing the broken toots to heal, otherwise the cactus will be pretty susceptible to disease and rot. has anyone else heard or done this? any other info you guys can provide would be great!
viper1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 09:27 PM   #3
IGbullshark
Im Old Gregg!

thanks for the advice! i transplanted the cacti last night and so now im supposed to let them rest for a few weeks. the only thing that concerns me is that they all seem kind of loose. hopefully once the roots establish themselves the plants become a little more secure.

Check out my Youtube channel!http://www.youtube.com/user/IGbullsh...ow=grid&view=0
IGbullshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 07:02 PM   #4
willy
no boat

You should grow some blue agave as a backdrop for your cacti, then you could make some OGF Reserve tequila 8)
willy is offline   Reply With Quote