Ohio Game Fishing

Go Back  Ohio Game Fishing Community > Hunter's Lodge > Guns and Ammo >

Anyone still shooting a sidelock ML?

Old 12-08-2012, 01:27 PM   #1
Bowhunter57

Default Anyone still shooting a sidelock ML?

I've shot nearly every type of muzzleloader out there and have enjoyed them all. However, at one point I believe I may have burnt myself out, as I do not own any charcoal burners any more. There was a time when I shot cap & ball revolvers, owned an original side by side shotgun and a patched round ball long rifle, as well as a hawken style half stock rifle.

About 3 years ago I sold a CVA Optima Pro and that was the last of my smoke poles.

A buddy of mine offered an extended loan of one of his MLs, if I was interested. The thought has rekindled an old interest. It's a 38" Montana barreled .54 caliber flintlock, long rifle with a 1:70 twist. I've seen this rifle perform and it's as accurate as any human shooter could hope. I've not made a decision whether to jump back into this or not.

Everyone seems to be shooting inline MLs, these days.

Thank you, Bowhunter57

Register today to remove this advertisement IT'S FREE

Old 12-08-2012, 08:20 PM   #2
crappiedude

Since I already have 2 deer in the freezer. I've been thinking of leaving the inline at home this year for ML season and pull out one of my caplocks. I have a .50 cal Hawken and .45 cal Ky long rifle.
I built both of the guns from kits back in the early 80's. I have yet to kill a deer with the .45 cal. I used to shoot them quite a bit and they are both very accurate.
I only switched to the inline because of having a scope to help with my aging eyes.
Maybe this will be the year that I get a deer with that .45
crappiedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 09:08 PM   #3
huntindoggie22

Still hunt with my Hawkins .50 cal flintlock even in ohio sometimes. Shot a doe with it last year. Love hunting with it. Great guns.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
huntindoggie22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 12:31 AM   #4
johnny fish

You bet I do have a .50 cal. hawken by CVA and also a .50 cal. plainshunter by CVA. I can't justify paying good money for an inline when these guns work just fine, And I can load them just as quickly as my buddies with their inlines. also noticed that my sidelock packed much more punch than my buddies inline did
johnny fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 06:46 PM   #5
ClickerCrazy

Send a message via MSN to ClickerCrazy

My Dad has built muzzle loaders from scratch, for over 30 yrs. now. I use a .32 cal for squirrel and either my .50 fowler or .54 Hawken. He still calls me a sissy though. Still tells me everytime we shoot that.."God made nipples for women, not guns." lol

https://www.facebook.com/DavidHallCustomKnives
ClickerCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 08:58 PM   #6
Bowhunter57

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClickerCrazy
He still calls me a sissy though. Still tells me everytime we shoot that.."God made nipples for women, not guns." lol
ClickerCrazy,
Sounds like he's a die hard purist, which is fine. To each their own, shoot what you want...I always say. I prefer caplocks, because they're a simpler functioning priming system with less room for error. There's a reason for the progression to caplocks and I'd like to think it is an improvement.

Bowhunter57
Old 12-11-2012, 11:43 AM   #7
DB4x4
Toothy Critters

Default 50 Cal Flintlock

I take my .50 cal flintlock, stuffed with a patch and ball, for a stroll through the woods after Christmas each year...
Attached Thumbnails
Guns and Ammo - Click for larger version   Guns and Ammo - Click for larger version   Guns and Ammo - Click for larger version  
DB4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote