Old 11-28-2012, 01:32 PM   #1
boatnut

Default say goodbye to pennies and nickels

http://govtslaves.info/bid-farewell-...s-and-nickels/

Register today to remove this advertisement IT'S FREE

Old 11-28-2012, 01:38 PM   #2
Intimidator
CJ WolfPack

I like the last paragraph...at least they told the truth!
So in the long run, we the taxpayers/consumers, are losing even more money!
Intimidator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 01:54 PM   #3
flounder
2 min 30 sec from Hoover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intimidator View Post
I like the last paragraph...at least they told the truth!
So in the long run, we the taxpayers/consumers, are losing even more money!
Good point, so does this mean that we'll see the end of x.xx.9 crap for a gallon of gas??

Old 11-28-2012, 02:26 PM   #4
M.Magis

It’s really just going to be a new way of pricing things, it won’t necessarily cost us more. Some things will be a few pennies more, some a few pennies less, theoretically. Prices can be anything a retailer wants them to be, so they’ll just adjust how they set their prices. After a few years everything will seem normal. You guys are just focusing on the negative. I look at the positive part, saving 188 million dollars per year.
M.Magis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 02:30 PM   #5
robertj298

I believe when we came out with the dollar coins we should have done the same thing Canada did, which was to take the paper dollars out of circulation. I think it would have saved us money in the long run.
robertj298 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 02:49 PM   #6
Intimidator
CJ WolfPack

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.Magis View Post
It’s really just going to be a new way of pricing things, it won’t necessarily cost us more. Some things will be a few pennies more, some a few pennies less, theoretically. Prices can be anything a retailer wants them to be, so they’ll just adjust how they set their prices. After a few years everything will seem normal. You guys are just focusing on the negative. I look at the positive part, saving 188 million dollars per year.

I don't know of any business that will lower their price!
For the tax payer/consumer, it will still be another loss, unless the Gov gives us a 188 million tax break!LMAO
The dime will be next after 2013, then after prices raise again, everything increases by .50 cents.

So overall...is this considered A NEW TAX on the consumer????
Intimidator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 03:03 PM   #7
M.Magis

I’m not doing a good job of explaining what I mean, and you’re not getting it. With current products and current prices, I’m sure they’ll raise them rather than drop them. Who wouldn’t? But beyond that it’s just going to be a different way of pricing, not higher or lower.
M.Magis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 03:58 PM   #8
spikeg79

That kind of sucks for Penny collectors such as myself but at least the government will cut some spending.

Wonder if this means sales tax will rise to 10% soon...
Old 11-28-2012, 04:23 PM   #9
Snakecharmer

What they should do is make all coins out of a penny like material as is is cheaper than the mterial used for nickels dimes and quarters. They could also make the penny smaller and thinner to save production costs....
Old 11-28-2012, 04:33 PM   #10
bountyhunter

Default penny

my daughter has a biggy bank about 18in high about 9in round given to her by grandma 30yrs ago and grandma collected them from the laundra matt they owned in the sixties. suppose theres a goodie there?? don,t make any differance to me about the penny .what does bother me is the money grants given to study rat shit. only 2,5mil for a five yr study.
bountyhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 04:40 PM   #11
Silent Mike
Baller Member

its about time
Old 11-28-2012, 04:41 PM   #12
Silent Mike
Baller Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spikeg79 View Post
That kind of sucks for Penny collectors such as myself but at least the government will cut some spending.

Wonder if this means sales tax will rise to 10% soon...
i think it means your collection just got more valuable right?
Old 11-28-2012, 06:51 PM   #13
sbreech
El Fly Guy

I'm surprised the government hasn't really pushed more for a "credit system" with no real currency exchange. More and more jobs require direct deposit, bills paid online, and it would be an easier way for big brother to 100% monitor what we buy, when we buy it, where we are, how much we have, and shut off funds if they so desire for whatever purpose (perhaps to stop a fugitive from having money to run further).

And I think people are further in debt nowadays because they don't physically see and touch their money. When you have $50.00 in hand, and it has to last you a week, you WATCH it go away as you spend it. Once it's gone, it's gone. you know you have a bill to pay out of it, so you physically set it aside. Credit / debit? Out of sight, out of mind.

Dollar coins? Forget that. Who wants to carry a big purse of dollar coins to a strip club? And where would you tuck a coin??
sbreech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 07:22 PM   #14
OSUdaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatnut View Post
Do you have a credible source for that information such as one from the US mint?

I could not find one.
OSUdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 07:33 PM   #15
Slatebar

If this is true, the states and local governments will make out like fat rats on sales tax.
Slatebar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 07:37 PM   #16
I Fish
I am what I eat.

$188 million per year savings, huh? Wow, that'll fix things. Consider that, every month, we are paying over $1.2 billion in interest against our national debt. Sadly, saving $200 million a year is like dropping one grain of sugar in a pitcher of iced tea, and calling it sweet. The per year cost of producing pennies and nickels is equal to 5 days interest. It's staggering.

I'd rather they just make the penny and nickel worth what they are, which intestingly, is more than a dollar costs at just 4 cents. Then, do away with paper money, and get back on the gold standard. Then, these games they are playing would go away.

Remember, when seconds count, the police are only minutes away.~unknown

Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular.~unknown

"Those people who will not be governed by God will be ruled by tyrants."~William Penn
I Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 07:48 PM   #17
shroomhunter
USMC 1979-1983

Awesome, no more waiting in line at the gas station while dude counts pennies to pay for smokes, lottery tickets and a 22oz'er
Simple everything ends in .25, .50 or .00 keeping it simple is good less math is great!!

Maybe now I can scrap for copper value this 200 lbs of pre 1983 pennies I've been hoarding!!
Old 11-28-2012, 07:53 PM   #18
Wow
Will Yak For Food

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbreech View Post
Forget that. Who wants to carry a big purse of dollar coins to a strip club? And where would you tuck a coin??
I don't know. ............In the coin slot? --Tim

Click image for larger version

Name:	moneySm.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	10.5 KB
ID:	67043
Wow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 08:41 PM   #19
Pac12

What will Chipotle do since some of them already round your total to the nearest nickle for efficiency of course.
Pac12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 08:44 PM   #20
Eriesteamer
BORN TO RIDE THE WAVES

Send a message via MSN to Eriesteamer
Default my 2 cents

I was told the penny was to stop being made thus all 99.99 will move to 1.00 if it does. To older pennies last copper ones made and back have a copper content worh $3.00 per pound and a nickle had 7 cents worth metals in them. man you guys better grab up nickles. LOL I got 2 ( 3 pound ) coffee cans them. the prewar are worth 75 cents per as colector coins. and silver coins all worth 20 time there face value. thats $ 2.00 per dime and I got 20 rolls the dimes, 15 rolls quaters. 10 rolls halfs. that I want and am looking for a smellter to melt them. there mint shape. some might be worth another 20 times more then 20 times as colecter ones. lot mint mercury head inlot. I will not sell to coin shops at 20 times there face value as they finger out the beter less worn and sell them for say 30 times to what ever the coin collecter books say there worth. here theres about 5 or so coin shops just sprung up last few years and are doing top on the money end. there buying gold more then silver as no one knows what gold really worth. last I knew something as over 1,000 per caret. thus the bealer can say some the gold brung in is not worth so and so and who but them know the value on gold. but silver coins it is easy if a dimes worth 20 times face value a little math says 20 times 10 is 200 thus harder for them rip you. wonder where I can find a smelter that give me 20 time for my whole heap silver and melt it while I see to it that is what be done as the20 times is for scap silver then it not to be resold but as just scrap silver. I sold about 100 of the worn a bit ones got some 2,000 maybe out them. got long ways to go on rest. poor me LOL