Ohio Game Fishing

Go Back  Ohio Game Fishing Community > Hunter's Lodge > Bucks and Does >

Non-Resident Hunters

Old 11-27-2012, 10:35 AM   #1
Hunt&fish4life

Default Non-Resident Hunters

So the first days of gun season rolls in and we are all excited to get in the woods . Here's the deal I hunt on public land around the logan area and I have almost a two mile walk to get to my stand location . So I get within about 60 yards from my stand and look up towards my stand and there is a lite shinning at me . Now remember I bow hunted all season without ever seeing anyone any where close and to walk almost two miles and have someone in a tree stand right next to yours. Now I know it is public land but thats a heck of a walk only to be shut down when you get there. Things like this is what gives nonresidents a bad rap and pisses people off . So to all you nonresident hunters please do your homework before you just walk in and set up with your climbers take the extra time and look around at least a day in advance and just check things out .
Hunt&fish4life is offline   Reply With Quote

Register today to remove this advertisement IT'S FREE

Old 11-27-2012, 11:20 AM   #2
fishwendel2

That really stinks to here but like you said it's public land. Resident or non resident they have the same rights as you to be there. Similar situation for me years ago and nothing I could do about it.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
fishwendel2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 11:54 AM   #3
M.Magis

What’s that got to do with him being a nonresident? You leave your stand there? Sounds risky to me.
M.Magis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 11:55 AM   #4
huntindoggie22

How do you know he was a nonresident

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
huntindoggie22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 12:23 PM   #5
sherman51

not trying to give you a bad rap. but how do you know it was a non resident?? and public land is public land. i hunt public land and have a 120 mile drive to get to the public land i hunt. so its just not practical for me to make a trip that far and check out the area i hunt. i do use a climber stand, but i have my spot where i like to hunt. i have a bad heart and bad legs, so i cant walk very far. but several times i have got to my spot to find someone is already hunting clost to where i want to hunt. so even if i had put in a ladder stand i would have to just move on thats a big reason i use a climber.

i went in a couple of yrs ago and it gets light and i see this ladder stand about 45 yrds from where i was hunting. i hunted my spot the whole ml season and no one came to hunt out of that tree stand. if i had moved it would have just been me giving up my spot for the whole ml season for an empty stand.

just because somebody puts up a stand on public property doesnt give them that land. the only thing i suggest is to be the 1st one to your stand. then you can shine your light on other hunters who wander into your hunting area. but that doesnt mean they will go away. i have had hunters come within 75 yrds from me and hit them with my light and they just go ahead and hunt. so after hunting on public land for the last 30 yrs i have learned its all just part of having to hunt on public land.

i know people that put up ladder stands at many different properties then sometimes go the entire season without hunting some of them. i,ve always just figured its first come first served. if i get there late and someones got my spot i just move on. if i get there first then i will shine my light just to let them know i am there.

one year me and my youngest son went in and went up our trees about 30 yrds apart. after daylight 2 deer come in. my son shoots one of them. then this guy comes out from behind this set of roots from this old dead fall. we didnt even know he was there. we climb down and walk over to the deer. he comes over. i asked how long he had been there. and why he hadnt let us know he was hunting there. that we would have moved on. come to find out he was there sleeping when we came in the woods,LOL. we had a good laugh and he said he couldnt see the deer from where he was hunting on the ground anyway.
sherman
sherman51 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 12:27 PM   #6
lotaluck

This is one of the downsides to hunting public. Frustrating for you, but the hunter did nothing wrong.
lotaluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 12:28 PM   #7
fishwendel2

M.Magis...you know it's funny. 99.9% of time you and I are on different sides of an argument but I am right on with you on this one
Old 11-27-2012, 12:53 PM   #8
Hunt&fish4life

I'm not tring to be disrespectful to any nonresident or resident for that matter and I wasn't to the hunter either as I also hunted out of state as well. However to I would think that the more homework you do or are able to do about the area that you wish to hunt the more successful that you will be. And yes I leave my stand in the woods without any steps for the first ten or so feet. I sure there isn't anybody out there that just straps on your stand and just start walking through any woods that u have never been in for 45 minutes. And I know they where from out of this state because I parked right next to there vehicle .
Hunt&fish4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 01:33 PM   #9
Wishin4Fishin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunt&fish4life View Post
I'm not tring to be disrespectful to any nonresident or resident for that matter and I wasn't to the hunter either as I also hunted out of state as well. However to I would think that the more homework you do or are able to do about the area that you wish to hunt the more successful that you will be. And yes I leave my stand in the woods without any steps for the first ten or so feet. I sure there isn't anybody out there that just straps on your stand and just start walking through any woods that u have never been in for 45 minutes. And I know they where from out of this state because I parked right next to there vehicle .
The hunter in question must have done some homework because he's hunting in your area.....which I'm assuming has a lot of deer sign.

I hunt public land in West Virginia. I've hunted the land for 15 years (prior to it becoming public land) and have five treestands on the land that have been in the same trees for at least five years. Other people know the stands are there because, as you said, they've done their homework, the stands are in the best locations on the land, and they have come across the stands. Come opening day of rifle season (or any day for that matter), I can only hunt one stand. Because those are MY stands (that I'm risking leaving on public land) I am not promised that area to hunt. Is no one supposed to hunt that general area all year simply because I have a tree stand in there? I hunt in there about five days a year so how do they know when or when I will not be in there?

I've talked to guys who hunt IN my tree stands. One killed a nice 10 point with a bow from one last year. They respect the stands and could be cutting the straps or stealing them so who am I to tell them they can't hunt in them, after all they are on public land. This is like me complaining about a boat from Michigan or Illinois making a trolling pass on Lake Erie over an area where I was catching walleye a week before.

Nonresident hunters (and fisherman) bring ALOT of revenue into the state. While I agree they must be respectful of our woods and waters, this is not something to complain about. If you've done your own homework, slip out of there and head to a secondary location.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Wishin4Fishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 01:44 PM   #10
PARK92
fish breath

hate when that happens. but that out of stater just spent 150$ to hunt so like stated above he has just as much right as you do.
PARK92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 01:50 PM   #11
crittergitter
Multi Species Angler

Quote:
Maybe he had scouted the areas in years prior. Maybe that is how he knew it was a good spot. You obviously chose it for a specific reason, and you don't know that he didn't. He got there first. That is the key to good spots on public land. Plus, if he went in during dark, it's a safe bet that he had no idea your stand was there.

I do appreciate your frustration at working hard to find an out-of-the-way spot to hunt and then find someone already in there on opening day of gun. That's stinks, but it is what it is.
Old 11-27-2012, 02:17 PM   #12
Sharp Charge

Quote:
Um, yeah, actually that's how I had to hunt for most of the last 16 years and most of it was public land. When I was on active duty and could manage to get leave for gun season I would have to hunt this way. I didn't have the luxury of scouting and making a real calculated decision on where I was going to hunt. Usually if I saw signs of a stand though that looked like it was maintained, I would keep moving down the path.

Good luck though!
Old 11-27-2012, 02:28 PM   #13
bdawg

We've learned over the years that it pays to get there early, especially the first day. The spot we hunt only has room for 1 or 2 cars and sometimes guys will park their cars across the spot so only 1 car can fit. We get there an hour before shooting time to ensure we can get a parking spot. If the weather is decent, we'll get out right away and get to our spots before the other hunters start walking in from the other side of the public hunting area. A number of times, the guys getting there late have pushed the deer to us. Also had a few times were the late guys have walked up on us at daybreak. My dad had this happen yesterday, so he walked to the other side of the hill and ended up getting a 4 pointer.
bdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 07:36 PM   #14
The Solution

Page 12 number 16 of the 2012-2013 hunting regulations clearly states you CANNOT place or use a permanent-type tree stand or place spikes, nails, wires or other metal objects into a tree to act as a step or to hold a tree stand on public hunting lands. Sounds like you need to do your homework. You can't claim an area as yours to hunt. Your lucky you didn't find a tag on the public tree stating you can claim your stand at the local Sheriffs office. You were exhibiting poor etiquette in my opinion.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
The Solution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 07:48 PM   #15
lotaluck

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Solution View Post
Page 12 number 16 of the 2012-2013 hunting regulations clearly states you CANNOT place or use a permanent-type tree stand or place spikes, nails, wires or other metal objects into a tree to act as a step or to hold a tree stand on public hunting lands. Sounds like you need to do your homework. You can't claim an area as yours to hunt. Your lucky you didn't find a tag on the public tree stating you can claim your stand at the local Sheriffs office. You were exhibiting poor etiquette in my opinion.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
I could be wrong and was once before, but the way I read it he is legal with the use of tree climbing sticks. Diferent story if he used screw in steps though.
lotaluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:16 PM   #16
Sharp Charge

He never specified the type of stand, but he can put up a ladder, hang on or climber so long as it's removed at the end of the season and does not screw into the trunk with anything.
Old 11-27-2012, 08:46 PM   #17
fishwendel2

He said: "And yes I leave my stand in the woods without any steps for the first ten or so feet" Hopefully he is using strap on sticks not screw in ones....if so he is digging himself a bigger hole.
Old 11-27-2012, 08:50 PM   #18
Mad-Eye Moody

Maybe they used to be locals that moved out of state for work or family and come back to hunt their favorite spot....
Old 11-27-2012, 09:54 PM   #19
reo

Quote:
Originally Posted by PARK92 View Post
hate when that happens. but that out of stater just spent 150$ to hunt so like stated above he has just as much right as you do.
Should be $250
reo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 09:58 PM   #20
Mad-Eye Moody

I read an article last year in a magazine stating that Ohio is the cheapest license for non residents in the country, as our tags are the same price for residents and nonresidents.

As someone who hunts out of state myself, I can agree. We are cheap!