NIGHT MAGIC

Default season up or down from last year

just taking a poll is your season up or down from last year, mine is down 50%
onle 3 for bow so far
NIGHT MAGIC is offline   Reply With Quote

Register today to remove this advertisement IT'S FREE

Old 11-25-2012, 10:09 AM   #2
ironman172

Mines way down from what has been seen....got one in the freezer though so still a productive season....I think the neighbors dogs have some thing to do with the lack of deer seen....and now the one had pups and there is 3 more running around for a total of 6 and she is pregnant again I noticed
I guess putting the deer carcass up there didn't help either....trying to draw in the coyotes or fox and only got the dogs
Attached Thumbnails
Bowhunting - Click for larger version   Bowhunting - Click for larger version   Bowhunting - Click for larger version   Bowhunting - Click for larger version  

Last edited by ironman172; 11-25-2012 at 10:14 AM.
ironman172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 10:51 AM   #3
Bowhunter57

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironman172
I think the neighbors dogs have some thing to do with the lack of deer seen....
ironman172,
Depending on your relationship with your stray dog owning neighbors, I'd either say something to them about keeping their dogs on their property or shoot them. The SSS rule applies here.

If you know your neighbors well enough that you think saying something to them would make them keep their dogs home, then that's the thing to do. However, if you think they're not going to do something about it, you be better off not saying anything and when the dogs come up missing...it was probably coyotes.

More than likely, if they're letting their dogs run, it's not a good chance that they're going to start keeping them on their property. However, you'd know more about them than we would. Good luck!

Bowhunter57
Old 11-25-2012, 11:35 AM   #4
VitalShot

Down. Alot less deer in my part of brown co. Ehd.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
VitalShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 01:21 PM   #5
NIGHT MAGIC

everyone I know that hunts, are also down, yet the odnr says the harvest is up
Old 11-25-2012, 01:33 PM   #6
dmgonfishin55

Send a message via MSN to dmgonfishin55

Down for sure.
dmgonfishin55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 02:19 PM   #7
VitalShot

I know a state vet and he says there were several cases of ehd

Old 11-25-2012, 02:20 PM   #8
VitalShot

But also this yr there has been more monsters killed than I can ever remember

Old 11-25-2012, 02:54 PM   #9
crappiedude

It's been kind of mixed really.

I hunt southern Clermont county near the Brown County line.
Early on I was seeing plenty of deer, especially bucks. It's been a little slow lately but we've been seeing more does.
I think alot has to do with changing food sources. Not too may acorns on the properties that I hunt and the soybeans got picked early.

Seems to be better than last year. I took an 11 point and a button buck, my partner hasn't tagged anything yet.
crappiedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 02:55 PM   #10
Fishstix

I'd say about the same. Filled my first tag Nov. 3rd this year compared to Dec. 12th last year. Not seeing a lot of deer in the woods, but pressure is off since one is in the freezer. Buck hunting from here on out.
Fishstix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 04:50 PM   #11
Mad-Eye Moody

It's been a banner season as far as success for me, but too many variables from last season to this one to compare. I suspect if things had been equal from year to year it would have been down.

I have only seen one doe where I hunt though in Ohio. Most of my deer have come from WV.
Old 11-25-2012, 04:51 PM   #12
Mad-Eye Moody

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitalShot View Post
But also this yr there has been more monsters killed than I can ever remember

I agree, including a nice buck of my own. Or perhaps mobile communications simply make the pictures more readily available.
Old 11-25-2012, 06:15 PM   #13
crittergitter
Multi Species Angler

Way down. I have seen a total of 7 deer on 19 hunts. I've been skunked on 15 hunts. I may give it up.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
Old 11-25-2012, 06:48 PM   #14
VitalShot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad-Eye Moody View Post
I agree, including a nice buck of my own. Or perhaps mobile communications simply make the pictures more readily available.
I agree with the mobile communications. But just the deer around my area is unreal more180-190 deer and a ton of 150-160.

Old 11-25-2012, 09:24 PM   #15
talltim

a six deer limit and 300 amish the next road over from were i hunt, and i see fewer deer every year. I'm sure some areas still have a lot of deer, but i saw more deer when i started hunting 30 years ago.
talltim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 12:32 AM   #16
OhioBigBuck

Deer Much Lower Numbers

I have 25 acres with two food plots and three feeders and have kept the food source strong for the past few years. I also run six trail cams year round. The population has dropped tremendously over the past few years and this year is the worst I have ever experienced. I also have a close friend that hunts hard on another property about 35 to 40 miles from me and he has always had a large population of deer where he hunts. He has yet to see more than a single doe and a young year and a half or so buck. I truly believe that many of the big bucks are urban and also attributed to the fact that almost everyone has a camera on their phone anymore. Also, with that said, I had four nice 3 Ĺ year old bucks pre-season. Within a week of opening day I learned that the Amish families to the south of me killed them. I was also told they killed a couple fawns and a button buck. With the new check system I have a pretty good feeling that many deer are harvested or slaughtered without any checking being done so as for the state count Iím not too sure of the accuracy. I am forced to find another place to hunt after making such a large investment into the property, food plots and feeders as well as the thousands of pounds of corn in a yearsí time. I went out a few weeks ago and saw two guys with shotguns on a neighboring property shooting at a doe. Yes, I called ODNR! I used to see herds of deer in a number of fields to and from my hunting property and this year in particular I have only seen four or five in those some fields that used to hold 16-20 or more at a time daily. Certainly something is going on to deplete the deer population in my area.

Just my 2 cents!
Old 11-27-2012, 12:41 PM   #17
Agitation Free

Although I got 1 in the freezer, the numbers where I'm hunting are down. Signs of activity are down. Same said from 3 other bow hunters I know.
Agitation Free is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 01:11 PM   #18
kmose

Way down in Ashland County. Every hunter I've talked to says the same. I've put 2 does in the freezer, but in terms of seeing deer there just isn't much going on. They've been trying to reduce the population with the extra antlerless permits and nusiance permits. I guess we shouldn't be surprised that it's working.
kmose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 05:47 PM   #19
NIGHT MAGIC

what do you think about the #s being posted by the odnr they are up in every county, but yet the majority of our #s are down for the season, just doent make sence
Old 11-28-2012, 12:01 PM   #20
Weekender#1

Default Up

Most everyone I have spoken to in NW Ohio are saying the population is way down, probably is. But I have had my best year in my life with 3 in the freezer and one doe still allowed. Those that hunt hard, get out 3 times a week have done very well, nice bucks and big does. Those out for a few hunts a year, nada. I would like to see the bonus tags cut in half or eliminated, yea I know I don't need to shoot my limit, but it is legal I will. I saw some guys at a funeral (sad) but they were deer hunters compound bows only, I shoot a Xbow. It was funny, they said next year no crossbows will be allowed, the next year gun season will be cut down only compound bows will be allowed in the woods. I had to laugh in their face, would they not first cut the extra deer or even the extra gun season, one was my brother in law, he is not happy with me now. But this mornings paper had the numbers and Ohio is up 24.7% for gun season compared to last year, but we had flooding bad.
Weekender#1 is offline   Reply With Quote