Ohio Game Fishing

Go Back  Ohio Game Fishing Community > General Discussions > The Lounge >

No More Twinkies

Old 11-16-2012, 10:06 AM   #1
bobk

Default No More Twinkies

Hostess said they will close today in the news. Very sad 18,000 jobs will be lost.
bobk is offline   Reply With Quote

Register today to remove this advertisement IT'S FREE

Old 11-16-2012, 10:27 AM   #2
Agitation Free

Business owners have been telling us that Obama Care is going to ruin them. This is just a start.

Last edited by Agitation Free; 11-16-2012 at 10:35 AM.
Agitation Free is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 10:35 AM   #3
fredg53

Yep more on the way

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
fredg53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 10:40 AM   #4
PapawSmith
Bud n Burgers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agitation Free View Post
Business owners have been telling us that Obama Care is going to ruin them. This is just a start.
Perhaps the recent election emboldened the union workers whose strike led to this unfortunate action. Hostess was attempting to emerge from bankruptcy and part of the restructuring by the administrators called for an 8% wage cut for labor. Although the Teamsters re-signed with Hostess apparently other labor organizations, bakery union for one, refused. Management indicated that were no funds to facilitate a work stoppage and warned if it was not resolved they would have to close. Union said no, so good bye 18,500 jobs. Nice work everyone, way to play well together.
Kagee is about to whack this one, too bad. We could use at least one thread where some political and current issue discussion would be tolerated. A lot going on today and even we dumb sportsman and women would like an opportunity to discuss it with others that we converse with often on other issues.

Everyone should believe in something....
I believe I'll go fishing.
PapawSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 10:48 AM   #5
cheezemm2
Ohio State Alumni 05'

Send a message via AIM to cheezemm2
Red face This is the beginning of the zombieland! 2012 END OF THE WORLD!

He will be looking for his twinkies and mad as %$@# Sad day today, really...

The Lounge
cheezemm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 10:52 AM   #6
nicklesman
Dough Boy

This is my line of work this is the third pay but there workers would have taken. So it is not just an 8 percent pay cut.not to mention slashing of benefits. There people have been through a lot. I have many friends who are/ were employed by hostess brands and I spam for them all. There comes a point when enough is enough though.

Old 11-16-2012, 10:56 AM   #7
Agitation Free

Twinkies. Soon to be made in China and served with soy sauce.

Last edited by Agitation Free; 11-16-2012 at 11:14 AM.
Agitation Free is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 10:57 AM   #8
Lundy

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicklesman View Post
There comes a point when enough is enough though.

Yeah, I guess they really showed them.

No what do they plan to do for employment? Stupid, stupid, stupid

I'm guessing there are about 18,000 ex-employees that would like a second chance to vote today.

Last edited by Lundy; 11-16-2012 at 11:00 AM.
Lundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 10:57 AM   #9
Intimidator
CJ WolfPack

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapawSmith View Post
Perhaps the recent election emboldened the union workers whose strike led to this unfortunate action. Hostess was attempting to emerge from bankruptcy and part of the restructuring by the administrators called for an 8% wage cut for labor. Although the Teamsters re-signed with Hostess apparently other labor organizations, bakery union for one, refused. Management indicated that were no funds to facilitate a work stoppage and warned if it was not resolved they would have to close. Union said no, so good bye 18,500 jobs. Nice work everyone, way to play well together.
Kagee is about to whack this one, too bad. We could use at least one thread where some political and current issue discussion would be tolerated. A lot going on today and even we dumb sportsman and women would like an opportunity to discuss it with others that we converse with often on other issues.

I have been watching a very "Eye Opening" program on the History Channel called, The Men Who Built America....It tells about the "So Called" Great Men With Minds, who built America...Vanderbilt, Rockefeller, Carnegie, JP Morgan, and Ford....what it ends up showing ME, is how BIG BUSINESS with it's corruption and it's greed, treated and took advantage of the workers so they could MAXIMIZE profits for themselves and the stock holders....kinda like today!
They actually fought against each other, or tried to out-do each other, to see who could be the richest and weld more power!
Man, the workers at that time REALLY had it rough! That was a tough bunch of people at that time to put up with that kind of stuff and the working conditions....we are real SOFT, compared to those generations!
Intimidator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:03 AM   #10
sbreech
El Fly Guy

Quote:
There comes a point when enough is enough though.

Absolutely. Thats what Hostess said. Unfortunately Hostess should have had help wanted ads posted as soon as they heard he strike was going to occur. As one non-worker leaves, another worker steps in to earn a paycheck. In his economy....having a job is better than not.....and these workers chose their own fate. It is very sad that so many could be persuaded to make such a bad decision.

I feel badly for future generations wihout twinkies though.
sbreech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:09 AM   #11
Bucket Mouth

Quote:
This is my line of work this is the third pay but there workers would have taken. So it is not just an 8 percent pay cut.not to mention slashing of benefits. There people have been through a lot. I have many friends who are/ were employed by hostess brands and I spam for them all. There comes a point when enough is enough though.

I look at this as a simple math question. Which is better: 80% of what you used to make or 100% of nothing?
Old 11-16-2012, 11:09 AM   #12
KaGee
Rediculous Mod

Somebody will come along and buy them up. Wait and see.

Papaw... Outdoor Hub makes the rules, not me. There are plenty of political forums out there for your entertainment.
Old 11-16-2012, 11:10 AM   #13
M.Magis

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbreech View Post
Absolutely. Thats what Hostess said. Unfortunately Hostess should have had help wanted ads posted as soon as they heard he strike was going to occur. As one non-worker leaves, another worker steps in to earn a paycheck. In his economy....having a job is better than not.....and these workers chose their own fate. It is very sad that so many could be persuaded to make such a bad decision.

I feel badly for future generations wihout twinkies though.
That would have been great, if they could. Unfortunately, that isn’t some they could do with union labor. There are millions of people out there that would love to have those jobs, and realize that the job of Twinkie stuffer shouldn’t come with a $20/hour wage and a pension. I’m sure one way or another there will be Twinkies and Wonder bread again, probably under a new ownership name. And you can bet, they won’t be using union labor.

Last edited by M.Magis; 11-16-2012 at 11:12 AM.
M.Magis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:15 AM   #14
robertj298

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapawSmith View Post
Theres always 2 sides to every story. Hostesses creditors have filed suit claiming executives at hostess raised there own salaries by 35-80% before filing chapter 11 http://www.teamster.org/content/dow-...E2%80%99-execs
robertj298 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:21 AM   #15
PapawSmith
Bud n Burgers

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaGee View Post
Papaw... Outdoor Hub makes the rules, not me. There are plenty of political forums out there for your entertainment.
But I like this place and want to argue with these people. And me predicting you would whack this thread was not a criticism of your personal policies or actions, I simply realize this issue straddles a fine line and you seem to be the most prolific axe wielder of late.

Old 11-16-2012, 11:21 AM   #16
Slatebar

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.Magis View Post
That would have been great, if they could. Unfortunately, that isnít some they could do with union labor. There are millions of people out there that would love to have those jobs, and realize that the job of Twinkie stuffer shouldnít come with a $20/hour wage and a pension. Iím sure one way or another there will be Twinkies and Wonder bread again, probably under a new ownership name. And you can bet, they wonít be using union labor.
I am Union (UMWA) and I do respect your openion weather I agree with it or not. But just out of curiousoty,,, What should be the hourly wage of a Twinkie Stuffer ?? any benifits ?
Slatebar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:28 AM   #17
Eriesteamer
BORN TO RIDE THE WAVES

Send a message via MSN to Eriesteamer
Default Hey Adam

I need info. ok your top at this. is The twinkies a Wonder bread made thing as here theres a big wonder bread store and it sells them. and bread by there name. if so hope it does not put there bread out stock or out busness. as I buy me ( laugh your but off ) my rye with seeds there to make my limburger cheese sand witches. LOL it helps to keep the fish smell off me and adds more cat fish cathes. Think why you never asked me again to fish with you. and rest pass my looking for open seats. That day us four hit the lake I was eatting salomei and oh well. if I had brought limberger bets on you three would made me walk the plank. LOL
Old 11-16-2012, 11:29 AM   #18
PapawSmith
Bud n Burgers

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertj298 View Post
Theres always 2 sides to every story. Hostesses creditors have filed suit claiming executives at hostess raised there own salaries by 35-80% before filing chapter 11 http://www.teamster.org/content/dow-...E2%80%99-execs
You need to be as careful reading a story on a Union organizations website that "alleges" wrongdoing by corporate management as you do when reading a WalMart corporate newsletter that criticizes the rank and file workers.
I never placed blame on any individual entity, just stated that striking labor apparently forced a closure per the current and available news stories on this issue.

Old 11-16-2012, 11:29 AM   #19
M.Magis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slatebar View Post
I am Union (UMWA) and I do respect your openion weather I agree with it or not. But just out of curiousoty,,, What should be the hourly wage of a Twinkie Stuffer ?? any benifits ?
Thatís a good question, and I personally donít know the answer. BTW, I made that number up. But, I do know that for the most part those jobs were unskilled labor that 99% of Americans could do. A jobs hourly wage should be dependent on how skilled the person doing that job is, and how many people could step in and take over. Local living expense should also play a role. But a pension for unskilled labor? Come on, thatís greed plain and simple.
M.Magis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:35 AM   #20
Lundy

The only hope for all of these recently or soon to be unemployed is Bain Capital or another like company that can come in and purchase the assets and restructure portions to maybe save a portion of the company and maybe some jobs.

How ironic
Lundy is offline   Reply With Quote