Ohio Game Fishing

Go Back  Ohio Game Fishing Community > Hunter's Lodge > The Lodge >

Feral Hog populations

Old 11-15-2012, 04:57 PM   #1
SaugerHunter91

Default Feral Hog populations

I keep hearing more and more especially from people in the southern part of the state about the exploding population of wild hogs here in Ohio. The thing I'm wondering is with them being so prolific will they eventually inhabit every county in the state? Sounds like some good hunting opportunity to me! In my 21 years I've seen the coyote populations soar to the point I can now hear their hows on my nightly walks. Will these boars do the same? Think there will come a time they make it as far north as Columbiana County? Does anyone on here have any experience with hunting or even witnessing these things?
SaugerHunter91 is offline   Reply With Quote

Register today to remove this advertisement IT'S FREE

Old 11-15-2012, 05:01 PM   #2
bonifas9017

I think it is very possible. It would be great to hunt also. But on the other hand it scares me, being a farmer in north west ohio. I believe just one herd of these hogs could completely destroy a crop in just one night. But yes I believe they will eventually habit all of ohio

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
bonifas9017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 05:17 PM   #3
Rod-Man

I think the ppl hunting hogs in southern Ohio may be the same ones spotting Bigfoot. I've been hunting southern Ohio awhile now. No sightings yet. If they are out there, the numbers couldn't be substantial. Just my two cents.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Rod-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 05:28 PM   #4
DLarrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod-Man View Post
I think the ppl hunting hogs in southern Ohio may be the same ones spotting Bigfoot. I've been hunting southern Ohio awhile now. No sightings yet. If they are out there, the numbers couldn't be substantial. Just my two cents.

i agree here, i hunt with a group of people in southwest ohio and i have never seen one or even seen damage that could have came from them. not saying there isnt any in OH but the numbers cant be too high
DLarrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 05:45 PM   #5
VitalShot

More east than west. Vinton county has hogs. There are more in other places also. These are bad. Would be fun to hunt but other than that a real prob. As long as the state tries to control them by hunting over time they will expand.

VitalShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 05:52 PM   #6
M.Magis

Maybe I’m optimistic, but I just don’t think it’ll happen. The only “reports” I’ve heard of are internet posts like this one, almost zero first hand accounts of wild hogs. Yes, some are killed every year. But I just don’t see or hear anything to even suggest some sort of “exploding population”. The ODNR really got people talking a few years ago when they put out the article about wild hogs. For some reason people took that to mean they were everywhere, rather than the pre-emptive strike that it was. If you look at the states where they’ve gotten out of hand, they’re all well south of Ohio. TN would be the closest that I would consider having a real population, and they’re nothing like TX or GA. For whatever reason, they don’t thrive in colder climates. I just don’t think they can really explode in Ohio. I also agree with Rod Man, some of the sightings are questionable.
M.Magis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 06:30 PM   #7
Lundy

In all of my years of hunting, Atehns and Hocking Counties I have never seen a hog or a hog track nor do I know anyone that has ever seen one.

I'm sure some exist in the wild but they are not widespread.
Lundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 06:48 PM   #8
Eric E

I have hunted se Ohio for 25 years.. Never seen one in Washington or Noble county. We do have pics of bobcats though...

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2
Eric E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 07:28 PM   #9
Mad-Eye Moody

Yeah, agree with everyone, and magis raises a good point. They want to keep them from establishing well and are getting the word out. Ohio has too many hunters and to many small properties for them to go unnoticed in an area for long.

In Texas they do so well because of all the space I think. I hunt the there every couple of years. The hunter per acre there is much lower than in Ohio.

Also wonder if the winter climate is a factor?

If you do see them, kill them and enjoy.
Old 11-15-2012, 07:44 PM   #10
Tom K

There are a few around but they are few and far between in most areas the ODNR says are over run with them.
Tom K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 08:27 PM   #11
Rod-Man

My understanding (which is second hand in this instance) is that the wild hogs are a lot more gamey than farm raised pork. It was explained to me that there is a night and day difference between the meat due to a number of things. For instance they are more active, they have different diets so the flavor of their fat is different, and after all they are different animals.

Anyone on here who has taken one care to speak to that?

Rod-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 10:26 PM   #12
Mad-Eye Moody

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod-Man View Post
My understanding (which is second hand in this instance) is that the wild hogs are a lot more gamey than farm raised pork. It was explained to me that there is a night and day difference between the meat due to a number of things. For instance they are more active, they have different diets so the flavor of their fat is different, and after all they are different animals.

Anyone on here who has taken one care to speak to that?

I can only speak to Texas hogs. The adults are not very good to eat unless caught live and penned and feed for a period of time. You can make spicy sausage though.

I will also say that the adults are stinky, nasty and wormy certain times of the year. They also have a high rate of disease. I think trichinosis was the me, but someone might know better.

These were true razorbacks though. The hogs in Ohio tend to be more feral hog than wild boar. So they might be better. Now we did kill a few piglets one year and they were really good.The Lodge

Last edited by Mad-Eye Moody; 11-15-2012 at 10:31 PM.
Mad-Eye Moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 06:50 AM   #13
Nikster

Almost all are feral, very few Razorbacks. Of the 10/12x's I've consumed hog it's best eaten as sausage or a roast that's been brined for 24 hrs.. A brine solution with a variety of spice's is best. Quite tasty!

Feral hogs are a tuffer animal than farm raised, less fat, different eatin habits & a much leaner meat. So as an end result, like with all game it's how one prepares the meat to make it palatable.

Nik,
Nikster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 07:06 AM   #14
M.Magis

I've only had wild pig once, and it was from a game farm here in Ohio. For the most part, any wild pigs in Ohio have come from game farms, though the one I tried may have been penned and fed for a while, I'm not sure. I just had some pork steak, but I thought it was very good. I had to cook it slower than domestic pork because it burnt easily, but other than that it tasted like regular pork. This was from a boar around 200 lbs. I was surprised it at how good it was.
M.Magis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 08:12 AM   #15
black swamp
Banned

Have seen the damage first hand if you see one blast it these things are so destructive they will destroy what is left of our fragmented forest Ohio does not need a hog problem it is bad eneough logging is out of control in this state just one more problem if you want to hog hunt go south these private hunting "preserves" could care less about the problem they just count money they dont see the big picture why would you want to hunt in a fenced in area, just has bad has the pay lakes, GREED GREED GREED That is all I have to say
black swamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 08:21 AM   #16
postalhunter1

I have to concur with most of you guys. Hunted in a lot of places in ohio for 15 years. Never, never saw a wild boar let alone saw a track. I know they are destructive and I know we don't need them screwing up our native habitat or wildlife. I would love to hunt them someday, but not at the expense of farmers income. I know if I ever do see one its bacon time.....

postalhunter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 08:24 AM   #17
luv2fish

I went to a seminar this fall and heard a great talk concerning ferrel hogs in Ohio. Go to the USDA website and look up a Craig Hicks, wildlife disease biologist with the U.S. Department of Agriculture, APHIS-Wildlife Services, he knows everything about ferrel hogs and where the populations and problems with them in Ohio currently are. He is the only one assigned to deal with the growing issue of ferrel hogs in Ohio. If you are having a hunting or sporting club meeting or function invited him to speak, he will come and give his presentation which is about an hour long. You can contact him at 866-4-USDA-WS.

Last edited by luv2fish; 11-16-2012 at 08:33 AM.
luv2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 09:03 AM   #18
9Left

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLarrick View Post
i agree here, i hunt with a group of people in southwest ohio and i have never seen one or even seen damage that could have came from them. not saying there isnt any in OH but the numbers cant be too high
+2...agreed here also..Ive heard sooo much about these pigs in ohio and there exploding populations..been hunting SW ohio and SE ohio for 15 years and have yet to see ONE yet..i dont argue that they are in ohio, and MAY become a problem SOMEDAY..but there are definitely not significant numbers of them.
9Left is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:28 AM   #19
T-180

Ironman,
I've lived & worked in the vicinity of TRC & have never heard anything about any hogs killed there. Not saying it's impossible, but I do have contact with TRC personel who take care of those things & nothing. I do know though about the hunts down around Urbana ; a guy I work with owns one of the farms that they actually killed a few hogs on. They waited for a fresh snow , then drove out blocks of woods. He never did bring me in any sausage from one of those things !!
T-180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:55 AM   #20
M R DUCKS

Default wild hogs

A Buddy saw a large hog 6-7 years ago and 3 years ago has a large hog on a trail camera and saw a smaller one during hunting season...no shot....in Champaign Co. His dad has one on trail camera from Jackson Co.
M R DUCKS is offline   Reply With Quote