Notices

Go Back  Ohio Game Fishing Community > Hunter's Lodge > Bowhunting >

Spike?

Old 11-12-2012, 12:27 AM   #1
noodle8177

Default Spike?

So my brother in law and my self always get into an argument over spikes? Question is once a spike always a spike? He says it is I say it is not true. Anyone else have an opinion or this or know where I can find facts backing either way? I never shoot a spike or a button buck. Him on the other hand different story.

OutdoorHub Mobile, the information engine of the outdoors.
noodle8177 is offline   Reply With Quote

Register today to remove this advertisement IT'S FREE

Old 11-12-2012, 12:36 AM   #2
Bluewalleye

No it is not true. I would say that 100% of all spiked bucks are just young deer. 1 1/2 year old young bucks. 100% of all button bucks are just 5 to 6 months old. I personally have never seen a really big bodied buck that was only a spike. And if anyone has ever seen a big mature buck that was still only a spike. I would say that it just had really bad genes passed to it. It is all about the age of a buck as to what stage of antler growth is.
The older the buck, the better his antler growth is. A 4 to 6 year old buck would be at it peak of antler growth. After they reach there prime age, there antlers normally start to get smaller again. But not back to just spikes...
Bluewalleye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 12:47 AM   #3
jlami
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluewalleye View Post
No it is not true. I would say that 100% of all spiked bucks are just young deer. 1 1/2 year old young bucks. 100% of all button bucks are just 5 to 6 months old. I personally have never seen a really big bodied buck that was only a spike. And if anyone has ever seen a big mature buck that was still only a spike. I would say that it just had really bad genes passed to it. It is all about the age of a buck as to what stage of antler growth is.
The older the buck, the better his antler growth is. A 4 to 6 year old buck would be at it peak of antler growth. After they reach there prime age, there antlers normally start to get smaller again. But not back to just spikes...
This is true.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
jlami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 01:20 AM   #4
Mushijobah
Urban Angler

Send a message via AIM to Mushijobah

Exactly what Bluewalleye said. It's a talltail.
Mushijobah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:14 AM   #5
FISH DINNER
Glutton For Punishment

I have actually seen where spike bucks have developed extremely tall racks as they mature. I have pictures to prove it, but unfortunately they are at home. Maybe I can upload them later if I can find them. It almost seems like in some cases spike bucks develop racks that have more height than width, which is fine by me. If anyone has found anything to the contrary please let me know.
FISH DINNER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 12:23 PM   #6
BuckeyeZac

I would definitely say a spike buck is never always a spike buck. However, I do have trail cam pics of a mature buck that never got much better than a spike. We have his sheds for two years and they are insane! I think 2008 or 2009 was the last year we got his sheds and it was shaped like a hay hook and had huge bases. I also think he was a 3-1/2 year old deer in these pictures. Pretty cool deer.
Attached Thumbnails
Bowhunting - Click for larger version   Bowhunting - Click for larger version  
BuckeyeZac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 03:28 PM   #7
Mushijobah
Urban Angler

Send a message via AIM to Mushijobah

That is a cool buck. Very unique.
Mushijobah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 06:01 PM   #8
fishwendel2

Default Spike

Spike....like this? Crazy!
Attached Thumbnails
Bowhunting - Click for larger version  
fishwendel2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 07:02 PM   #9
buckeyebowman

The vast majority of spiked bucks will be 1 1/2 years old. Occasionally you may find one older than that that has some screwed up genetics. Remember, a buck needs 3 things in order to grow a big set of antlers. First, he has to have the genetic potential to do so. As an example, I'm 5'9". All my uncles, on both sides of the family, are well over 6' tall! So, if my parents had fed me more during my childhood, would I be over 6' tall? Nope! My Dad was 5'9", so my genetics were that I would be 5'9".

Second, a buck needs good nutrition and mineral intake in order to grow all that new bone every year. A malnourished buck will never reach his genetic potential either body-wise or rack-wise.

Third, a buck needs to reach physical maturity, which, depending on who you talk to, is about 5 1/2 or 6 1/2 years of age. Up to the age of at least 5 1/2, a buck is still growing long bone in his body. This takes up some nutrients that would otherwise go into growing a rack. So, if you want mature bucks around, you gotta let the young ones, the spikes and forkhorns, walk! For instance, why do you think PA instituted a mandatory point count for killing a buck. To let them get a little older so they'd have a chance to grow at least a half decent rack. For a lot of years PA had a really screwed up deer herd! A bazillion runty, little, underfed deer, and a buck/doe ratio of about 1/100! You'd cruise by the hunting camps to see what was hanging, and it was rare to a buck older than 2 1/2. Meat poles were full of spikes and forkies!

Finally, all you have to do is think about it a little bit, logic will take hold, and the truth will be revealed. The phrase "Once a spike, always a spike", makes about as much sense as "Once a button buck, always a button buck"!

Last edited by buckeyebowman; 11-15-2012 at 07:03 PM. Reason: misspelling
buckeyebowman is offline   Reply With Quote