Ohio Game Fishing

Go Back  Ohio Game Fishing Community > General Discussions > The Lounge >

flu shots? do you get them?

Old 11-02-2012, 02:02 PM   #1
freyedknot
useless poster

Default flu shots? do you get them?

got 1 earlier in the week and felt run down since?
freyedknot is offline   Reply With Quote

Register today to remove this advertisement IT'S FREE

Old 11-02-2012, 02:08 PM   #2
M.Magis

I felt bad for a week or so after mine this year as well, but I for sure had a stomach bug one day so I contributed it to that more than the shot. It usually doesn’t bother me.
M.Magis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 02:39 PM   #3
boatnut

try googling something like "flu shots good or bad". Lots of arguments both for and against especially if you are "elderly". I haven't had the flu in over 20 years. I just take my chances.
Old 11-02-2012, 02:41 PM   #4
T-180

I have never gotten one & doing ok without it. Two of the guys I work with got the shot & felt pretty crappy for a day or two.
Hope you get feeling better.
T-180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 02:46 PM   #5
RiverWader
Cottontail Mafia

Send a message via Yahoo to RiverWader

I got mine yesterday, I feel fine today
RiverWader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 03:05 PM   #6
Burks

Past three years I've got one (school basically forced us for two years....) my blood pressure has sky rocketed and heart rate went nuts. I'd have to double or triple my meds to keep my BP under control.

First year....fluke. Second......ok maybe it's a coincidence. Three years....it's a pattern.

I won't be getting one next year. Work can take their declination form and shove it.
Old 11-02-2012, 05:43 PM   #7
dmills4124
don m

WE get ours every year and have since 91.Yep you feel like caca for the remainder of that day but 2 weeks just tells me that the person had been exposed to influenza 7 to 9 days prior to getting the shot. Yes they are live vaccines but just barely.
Freyedknot take a couple of redbull for a day or 2 that should pep you up.
Burks I dont know if you get your shots from the same place every year or not but it sounds to me like you have started to have a reaction to eggs. My boy got bit by a rattle snake some years ago and they used 64 amps of the anti fenum on him. They told him that after that he could never take another EGG based anti venom and most flu shot vaccines are egg based. Your doctor needs to check you out real close so you can enjoy a few more fishing seasons.
JMTCW
donm
dmills4124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 06:00 PM   #8
streamstalker
not waving...drowning

Default Get your damn flu shot!

The last time I got a good dose of the flu was 14 years ago. I thought I was going to die. I have gotten the shot every year since then, and I have never experienced symptoms serious enough that I could unequivocally attribute them to the shot. And I have not gotten the flu. I'm talking about the kind of sick where you say to yourself, "I'm gonna get up now," and three hours later you say the same thing...repeat...repeat...repeat...repeat...reptea t...I was sick for weeks after that too--night sweats and random sweats at work.

Last edited by streamstalker; 11-03-2012 at 06:17 AM.
streamstalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 07:23 PM   #9
T-180

Well, once my doctor told me if you start them you need to do it every year, I was out. The last time I had the flu was somewhere around late 80's or the early 90's and it basically cost me one day of vacation from work to sleep & feel like crap all day. Most of the people at work that end up sick are the same ones that use "purell" 10 times a day and never go outside. Something to be said for building an immunity without the drugs. My mom however, had to have them every year due to lung disease & it probably prolonged her life. She did get so sick one time from it that she spent 3 days in ICU. Just my opion, though.
T-180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 08:06 PM   #10
a1deerhunter
Jurrasic Member

1995 was the last time I got the shot, had to I was in the Air Force. I have yet to get any symptoms of the flu.
Old 11-02-2012, 08:19 PM   #11
crappiedude

I had heart valve and by pass surgery 5 years ago. Until that time I never got a flu shot. Since then, I always get on. I don't know if its the shot but I don't seem to get as many colds since I started getting the shots.
crappiedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 08:46 PM   #12
Slatebar

The only flu shot I ever had andwill never have another. I was in Hospital a couple weeks, ICU,, dang near died.. Granted that was back in 70, but I will not take a chance again...Several people had problems with the shots then.
Slatebar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 08:58 PM   #13
Minnowhead

Flu shot is for Respitory Flu, not stomache flu. Get Res. Flu 1 time and you wont miss another flu shot.

TEAM SHAPPELL
Minnowhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 09:05 PM   #14
fishing_marshall

Working in s school they reccemend that we get them I've got a shot the past few years and never had any side effects
Old 11-02-2012, 09:17 PM   #15
sbreech
El Fly Guy

I have not and will not unless I develop a condition where the doc says i must. I too believe in building an immunity - no hand sanitizer, drink water from the tap, use minimum detergents, kiss sick babies, etc etc.
sbreech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 09:44 PM   #16
willy
no boat

Quote: Yep you feel like caca for the remainder of that day but 2 weeks just tells me that the person had been exposed to influenza 7 to 9 days prior to getting the shot. Yes they are live vaccines but just barely.

I agree, I've had the flu shot some years and not others but knew I would feel like crap for up to a week after (thanks FLY NAVY = mandatory)

As I understand, it the theory behind the flu shot is basically like a hangover;

Flu = you chug a bottle of tequila, then you wake up wondering if your going to die (or wishing you would).
Flu shot = you chug that old, warm, can of natty light you found in your bilge when you pulled your boat to ready it for winter storage, then you wake up feelin crappy and you just want some good corned beef hash, eggs and a nice guinness.

In the best case scenario if you get the flu shot (or chug that old warm natty you found in your bilge) then your immune system is kicked into high gear to protect you thru the winter season when everyone is inside making excuses.

So then the snow flys, and your in the ice shanty with your buddy, and you both already wiped out the tequila, and they double dare you over the last Tabasco slim jim in the shanty to eat that old green dried booger that's been stuck to the shanty window for at least three seasons, you don't wake up wondering if your going to die (or wishing you would).

Nope, cause you been immunized 8), you just wake up feelin crappy, and then pissed because you just remembered that last night in the shanty your buddy out of the blue abruptly yelled they needed to go check the tip-up's, stood up, and proceeded to do a header into the minnow bucket while dropping your Genuine North American Fishing Club limited edition ice scoop down a hole ... Grrr

But it's ok, because your immune system is rockin and you just want some good corned beef hash and eggs, and a nice guinness 8)

I hope this helps, but then again it's just all theory
willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 09:47 PM   #17
ranger373v
Resident fishing idiot

they are free through work, so i get one
ranger373v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 10:06 PM   #18
billk

every year.

flu bug running around work last month. People off for 2-3 days at a crack. Felt crummy one afternoon myself but toughed it out.
billk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 10:26 PM   #19
FishermanMurph

I hear mix things. I don't get them. A: I HATE needles. B: I've still seen people get the flu. and C: I've never had "the" flu. Just the dreaded stomach flu.

"May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it." ~Irish Blessing
FishermanMurph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 10:58 PM   #20
willy
no boat

... it's ok, I knew it was just a dried up emerald shiner and not a booger, shanty jerky if you will.

no worries 8)
willy is offline   Reply With Quote