Ohio Game Fishing

Go Back  Ohio Game Fishing Community > Ohio Fishing Reports > Northwest Ohio Fishing Reports >

Maumee river saugeye? (picture)

Old 09-10-2012, 08:10 PM   #1
fishfray

Lake Erie Region  
 Lake Erie Region  

Total Awards: 2

Question Maumee river saugeye? (picture)

ok... im trying to get it to upload.

Im not sure if it worked or not, but if it did i see a dark blotch at the back of the first dorsal(walleye trait). Also, it has dark blotches on the sides and all of the fins are covered with decent size spots (sauger trait). The tail has a noticable white blotch (walleye trait). I didnt see if there were scales on the cheeks or not. IMO i dont think you could get a walleye or sauger with all of these traits. I could be wrong, im far from being an expert. I caught two of these on the same day below g.r. dam, and they were very similar.
Attached Images
Northwest Ohio Fishing Reports 
fishfray is offline   Reply With Quote

Register today to remove this advertisement IT'S FREE

Old 09-10-2012, 08:13 PM   #2
Mushijobah
Urban Angler

Send a message via AIM to Mushijobah

More likely a sauger. Rare!

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
Mushijobah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 08:14 PM   #3
fishfray

Lake Erie Region  
 Lake Erie Region  

It worked! But its tiny... sorry guys its the best i could do. I dont know if you can see the traits or not (especially if your viewing from an ipod or something) but i can.
Old 09-10-2012, 08:31 PM   #4
Mushijobah
Urban Angler

http://www.outdoorblog.net/outinmich...-in-lake-erie/

Old 09-11-2012, 03:32 PM   #5
M.Magis

I won’t pretend to be anything close to an expert, but doesn’t the white tip of the tail exclude a straight sauger as a possibility? I can’t see the picture very well, but I would have guessed saugeye.
M.Magis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 05:10 PM   #6
Bucket Mouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by rutnut245 View Post
It's a saugeye. We've been catching them at the dam for some time now. There are also a few walleyes in the mix. I can almost guarantee the fish had scales on it's cheeks They are also much darker than the resident walleyes. I haven't caught a sauger in the river in many years although a friend of mine was catching a few in early March.
Even though they are saugeyes,most of the fish are smaller like a sauger. Just like walleye they have to be 15" to be kept. Most of the ones I've been catching were around 14".
Check out the one I posted up in the other thread about this topic. Me and a handful of my friends have been catching them from May through last month sporadically. That one has no scales on its cheeks. I can blow up the pic of the head if you want a better look. That fished measured around 19" (tough to hold the tape and the fish in the middle of the river).

I will say that the OP's pic looks to be a darker fish than the one I posted or that sdkohio posted, but it's tough to tell from the size of the pic file.

I am also no expert but I think it'd be wierd to not catch saugers, but catch saugeye that require one sauger as a parent (if that makes sense).
Old 09-11-2012, 05:32 PM   #7
Mushijobah
Urban Angler

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.Magis View Post
I wonít pretend to be anything close to an expert, but doesnít the white tip of the tail exclude a straight sauger as a possibility? I canít see the picture very well, but I would have guessed saugeye.
Sauger have a white tip, although less defined.

http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/Home/spec...9/Default.aspx

I'm still going with sauger. Scales on cheek is no way to determine whether it is a sauger or saugeye. Body shape and lack or presence of spots on the dorsal membrane denote a saugeye vs. sauger.

Without a better pic, we will never know. More than likely a sauger though. A nice one.
Old 09-11-2012, 06:15 PM   #8
KaGee
Rediculous Mod

SAUGEYE:
Description
Saugeye are intermediate in appearance between their two parent species, the sauger and walleye. The best character to look at for identifying this hybrid is the dark bars or oblong vertical spots between the spines of the first dorsal fin. The membrane of this fin in the unmarked areas is often a dusky color and not as clear as that of a sauger. A large dusky spot at the rear base of the first dorsal fin is usually visible on a saugeye but not as clearly defined as it is on a walleye. Saugeye have dark laterally oblong blotches on their sides but they tend to be smaller than those of a sauger. Saugeye also have white tips on the lower part of the tail and anal fins. These are more defined than the very thin light colored margin of a sauger but less defined than the large white tips found on a walleye. The over all body color of a saugeye is also intermediate between the gray to silver color of a walleye and the bronze or brown color of a sauger.

http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/Home/spec...0/Default.aspx

Sauger:

Description
The sauger is similar in appearance to the walleye or the hybrid between the two known as the saugeye. They have many dark spots on their dorsal fin often forming rows. The first dorsal fin is usually relatively clear in unspotted areas, and there is not a large dusky area at the rear base of the fin as in walleye. The over all body coloration of a sauger is a bronze or brown color compared to the usual gray or more silver color of a walleye. The sauger has large dark oblong blotches on the sides of their body which are more visible when the fish are sitting still. Sauger do not have large white edges to the lower part of their tail and anal fin like a walleye, at best they have a very thin lighter colored edge that is often more yellow in color.

http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/Home/spec...9/Default.aspx

Thanks Mushi for the DNR links
Old 09-11-2012, 09:02 PM   #9
fishfray

Lake Erie Region  
 Lake Erie Region  

Thanks to the guys who believe it's a saugeye. I think the noticeable blotch on the back of the spiny dorsal fin makes it unlogical to consider it a sauger.
Old 09-12-2012, 12:35 PM   #10
Mushijobah
Urban Angler

If it is a saugeye, the biggest mystery is how they are getting into the maumee.
Old 09-12-2012, 04:53 PM   #11
sdkohio

By looking at the post by KaGee, I will definitely be calling the one I caught a saugeye. I caught another today, but it flipped away as I was grabbing it. Ugh
sdkohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 08:47 AM   #12
rutnut245

Default saugeye

I should have looked more closely at the picture. From what I can see it looks to be a sauger. I've been fishing the dam at least once or twice a week and most of the fish we caught were either walleyes or small saugeyes. I caught three last night along with a ton of white bass.
Old 09-13-2012, 08:57 AM   #13
rutnut245

Default Saugeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mushijobah View Post
If it is a saugeye, the biggest mystery is how they are getting into the maumee.
I was told it's from cross fertilization from the enormous amount of walleyes in the river during the spring run. If it happens naturally anywhere I would think the Maumee would be the most likely place. Just conjecture though.
Old 09-13-2012, 09:04 AM   #14
Mushijobah
Urban Angler

That would imply that there is a significant population of pure strain sauger in the maumee, which there isn't. Making a naturally produced saugeye somewhat impossible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rutnut245 View Post
I was told it's from cross fertilization from the enormous amount of walleyes in the river during the spring run. If it happens naturally anywhere I would think the Maumee would be the most likely place. Just conjecture though.

Old 09-13-2012, 11:21 AM   #15
Bucket Mouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mushijobah View Post
That would imply that there is a significant population of pure strain sauger in the maumee, which there isn't. Making a naturally produced saugeye somewhat impossible.
That's my thought too. Why would there be such a significant amount of saugeye being caught but no sauger? IMO, these fish we're all discussing are almost all saugers with a potential (although rare) periodic saugeye.
Old 09-13-2012, 01:18 PM   #16
rutnut245

Default saugeye

I have personaly caught over 20 in about a half dozen trips. I know a couple of customers at the shop that have caught many more than me. There have been hundreds caught at the dam this year,that I am sure of. They aren't that rare at all. Go catch a couple and let us know what they are. I got three yesterday and the guy I was fishing with caught 4.

Last edited by rutnut245; 09-13-2012 at 01:26 PM.
rutnut245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 01:22 PM   #17
acklac7
S.S.

Inland Rivers & Streams  

Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucket Mouth View Post
That's my thought too. Why would there be such a significant amount of saugeye being caught but no sauger? IMO, these fish we're all discussing are almost all saugers with a potential (although rare) periodic saugeye.
Think about it, you get one female Sauger spawning in chocolate milk water during the Walleye run. Next to her are 5 male Walleyes that inturn blow there junk on the eggs, easy for there to be alot of Saugeye with only a small population of Sauger.

Ohio: The Iroquoian word for "Beautiful River"

True Ohio Sportsmen Should Release Stream/River Smallmouth

A.J.
acklac7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 01:44 PM   #18
M.Magis

Just me thinking out loud, but if it were that simple saugeye would have been common decades or centuries ago. Long before they were propagated in hatcheries. If saugers and walleye were both in such great abundance 100 years ago, natural saugeyes would have been almost as common as full blood fish
M.Magis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 01:45 PM   #19
KaGee
Rediculous Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by acklac7 View Post
Think about it, you get one female Sauger spawning in chocolate milk water during the Walleye run. Next to her are 5 male Walleyes that inturn blow there junk on the eggs, easy for there to be alot of Saugeye with only a small population of Sauger.
The transient walleye don't venture up stream past Waterville. All these reported Saugeye are being caught up at Grand Rapids... If what you say is taking place, what makes the female swim downstream and then what makes the fry decide to remain in the river? And wouldn't we also have verified catches out in the big lake?
Old 09-13-2012, 03:13 PM   #20
Mushijobah
Urban Angler

Any Indiana section of maumee stocked with saugeye?