Ohio Game Fishing

Go Back  Ohio Game Fishing Community > Ohio Fishing Reports > Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports >

Unlimited Outboards

Old 07-16-2012, 12:18 PM   #1
SAUGEYECRAPPIEMAN

Default Unlimited Outboards

Ok, I finally got checked on the lake at CC this past Saturday by the ODNR. They stopped me to do a spot check and ask me a few survey questions. My one crappie at the time was 10" (No problem, always legal). But his survey question was what I was interested in the most.

He asked if I would favor the state allowing larger motors (Like mines) to be allowed on lakes with 10 hp limits as long as the larger motors use idle only? My answer was "Absolutely"!!!!! IMO going idle with a larger engine creates less wakes than a 10hp motor wide open. So I say bring it on, I hope it pass!

I know this won't make everyone happy because it may bring out more fisherman to your lakes like Cowan and Acton Lake. But for guys like me it will make it easier than using my trolling motor.

What do you guys think? Is this a good idea?

By the way my day ended with (3) 15~16" saugeyes and (5) 10" + crappies fishing from 8am ~10am. all in between the rain and storms. We also threw back many shorties.
Give a man a fish, you'll feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll buy a fishfinder, lures, rods, reels, fishing line, waders, boat, fishing videos, ice equipment, truck, and get lost in a sports store for life!
SAUGEYECRAPPIEMAN is offline   Reply With Quote

Register today to remove this advertisement IT'S FREE

Old 07-16-2012, 01:07 PM   #2
Bostonwhaler10

Ah , I bought a kayak and have it rigged with trolling motor and everything for those lakes. So it would irritate me that I didn't have to buy it.

Crappie 14 1/2"

Channel Catfish 29"
Bostonwhaler10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 01:46 PM   #3
imalt
Banned

I think as long as there is no power loading at the docks I don't see what the problem would be. Of course that is if everyone is good with idle that is a slow idle across the lake. Temptation to amp it up a little bit might be there for some.
imalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 02:37 PM   #4
hunterm

Default Same Survey

I got the same survey at CC a couple of weeks ago. Since my boat has a larger motor I was in favor of allowing wake speed and unlimited HP. would also make loading/unloading easier since trying to get my boat on the trailer with a trolling motor is a pain.
Old 07-16-2012, 04:29 PM   #5
hogtrman

Default What determines an idle

I'm against raising horsepower limits on the small lakes. You always got some character abusing the privilege, and ruining the day for others. Also the bigger boats make bigger wakes, plain and simple.
hogtrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 04:50 PM   #6
kevinburgmeier

Just because a boat is bigger doesn't necessarily mean a bigger wake.IMO it's how fast you're going.
kevinburgmeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 04:54 PM   #7
Legend killer

I say no, you will have yay hoos abusing it. Slap on a kicker motor if you want to use an outboard.
Legend killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 05:13 PM   #8
deadbetty01

I'm all for it....I think its silly that you can't just buy one boat that you like and take it everywhere, as long as the rules are followed/enforced what does it matter how big of engine or boat you have??? And to say a bigger boat makes bigger wake is kind of silly?? If your going idle speed your not going to be putting out any wake no matter how big your boat is! Just my .02

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
deadbetty01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 05:18 PM   #9
misterbreeze

I said yes to the survey,but they do need to make the penalty so high you wouldn't even think about breaking the rules. I agree "No Power Loading" wrench it up if you have to.
misterbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 07:09 PM   #10
socdad

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogtrman View Post
I'm against raising horsepower limits on the small lakes. You always got some character abusing the privilege, and ruining the day for others. Also the bigger boats make bigger wakes, plain and simple.
Those “characters” are already using their big motors at Acton + bigger boats make no wake at idle speed.

"We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."
- Winston Churchill
socdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 09:23 PM   #11
I Fish
I am what I eat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legend killer View Post
I say no, you will have yay hoos abusing it. Slap on a kicker motor if you want to use an outboard.
It's not always that easy to just slap on a kicker, besides the extra expense, some transoms are just not made to have a kicker. I've been on a couple lakes that started allowing my "big" motor. I've yet to see anybody abusing it.

It seems silly to me that I can put on a 9.9 kicker, run wide open, all 6.2mph (GPS speed) of it, making a huge wake, but that's OK. Or, that a flat bottom jon boat can go by me at 15 to 20 mph, but, even though I'd not make any more wake at that speed than they do, I have to idle with the big motor. I'd rather see a speed limit, and no skiing/tubing or jetskis.

Remember, when seconds count, the police are only minutes away.~unknown

Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular.~unknown

"Those people who will not be governed by God will be ruled by tyrants."~William Penn
I Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 09:25 PM   #12
CincyFisher

For selfish reasons I support the idle speed with unlimited horsepower. I'd support it even more if they limited it to 150HP and Triton bassboats. LOL. Yeah there'd be more boat traffic and more yahoos. I'd be one of them although I follow the rules. Mostly. Agree with idea of stiff fines to keep smart people honest.
Spotted Bass 0
Smallmouth Bass: 70
Walleye: 0
Northern Pike: 0
Crappie: 8
Catfish: 1
Blanks: let's not go there...

CincyFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 10:12 AM   #13
gabassman
Cowan Lake Bassman

I've been fishing Cowan for many, many years. I'm very much in favor of the idle speed law. I've seen boats with 150hp on plane before there, so there's always going to be those idiots out there who will break the law. With the money cuts in Ohio state parks, you hardly see any enforcement officers on the water.
I know of a lot of times I would try to cut across the lake on a real windy day and get cut off by sailboats and have to let off of the trolling motor and lose momentum and watch as they laugh their asses off (they would do it on purpose).
Old 07-19-2012, 09:22 PM   #14
Mason52

Clear Fork Lake up by Mansfield has a 8 MPH speed limit and it's very user friendly for fishing, and it has plenty of boats with big motors on it. It's a smaller lake (less then 1000 acres) and I've never had a problem there. The thing that will keep people from abusing the speed limit/law is enforcement of it. Nothing like a $200.00 plus ticket to slow them down.
Mason52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 06:26 AM   #15
SAUGEYECRAPPIEMAN

I have been at Cowan lake many times in spring and its difficult to control your boat with a trolling motor because of the wind.

I think they should make sure their is a "LARGE" visible sign at every dock stating the idle speed with possible fines if caught going over the speed limit.
Give a man a fish, you'll feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll buy a fishfinder, lures, rods, reels, fishing line, waders, boat, fishing videos, ice equipment, truck, and get lost in a sports store for life!
SAUGEYECRAPPIEMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 06:19 PM   #16
deskunkify

This is an interesting topic, the issue here is enforcing the speed limits, I don't think the ODNR has the man power to enforce the limits. I am sure that most boaters would abide by the limits, but there are always a few that will overdue it. There are certainly areas for concern especially in upground reservoirs, many of which are found in northwest Ohio, where large wakes could possibly erode an earthen dam enough to the point of breaching. Another issue would be the cost of implementing such a limit, new odnr signs would have to be placed at launch ramps with the new regulations. Not to say that this isn't a good idea, but there are many variables that must be considered before a decision by the dnr and the division of watercraft should be made.
deskunkify is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 10:06 PM   #17
hogtrman

I think you are right and have the best explaination for motor limits. Erosion of banks and earthen dams will settle the issue.
hogtrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 10:56 PM   #18
Bad Bub
Pushin' Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogtrman View Post
I think you are right and have the best explaination for motor limits. Erosion of banks and earthen dams will settle the issue.
I think that's a flawed theory. As stated before, a 9.9 pushing a 16' deep v is putting a lot of wake out. Idle/no wake is exactly what it states. No different than a no wake zone on any of the big lakes. Sure people will push it. Just like the 10hp guys running 15-18 hp motors. I do feel electric only lakes should be left only to electric motors.

Old 07-21-2012, 10:08 AM   #19
dobester111

I on the fence on this idea. I know guys that would love the idea and also follow the law. If they allow idle only with larger motors, there will always be the ones who ignore the laws, pleasure boaters and fishermen, alike. I used to think it was mostly pleasure boaters. But, I see fishermen ignoring no wake zones also. I probably wouldn't visit the 10hp lakes any more than I do now. Mainly because I'm not that close to them. When I do go to those lakes, I can get by with my trolling motor. It's a toss up.
dobester111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 10:45 AM   #20
mudkings

I wish they would do it. Theres a few lakes that i once fished with my old boat that i cant now because i upgraded to a bigger boat to fit my family. I think it would be nice to be strictly enforced to keep idiots from speeding. But im all for it. I drive my boat on trailer and i dont make a big wake doing that. You just have to have your trailer set right and it drives right up. But if one of the rules is not power loading i would go for that too and just crank it on.
mudkings is online now   Reply With Quote