Ohio Game Fishing

Go Back  Ohio Game Fishing Community > Ohio Fishing Reports > Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports >

Paint Creek Crappie

Old 03-25-2012, 08:53 AM   #1
brownsmustard

Gone Fishing! Paint Creek Crappie

Went to P.C. yesterday. Caught a couple crappie by the beach. Used nightcrawlers but I should have used minnows. Whats everyone catching crappie with?
brownsmustard is offline   Reply With Quote

Register today to remove this advertisement IT'S FREE

Old 03-26-2012, 02:23 AM   #2
SeanStone

Minnows and Wax worms if your using live bait.
Tube baits, swimbaits, grubs, small in-line spinnerbaits, small crankbaits, etc. if your using lures.

I was at rocky fork lake Saturday and watched two guys catch 50+ crappie in two hours. They were using two tube baits spread about a foot apart under a slip float. Seemed like every minute they had one in the boat.
SeanStone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 07:02 AM   #3
LoneWolfNoPack

Fished Paint Creek spillway for the first time in years on Saturday. Fishing was very slow. Very crowded with people though, reminded me of why I stopped fishing there in the first place. Weather wise, it was a great day to be out.
LoneWolfNoPack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 11:17 PM   #4
jeepguyjames

Any idea of the water temps? Are the levels up enough now to put a boat in easier?
jeepguyjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 01:48 AM   #5
SeanStone

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepguyjames View Post
Any idea of the water temps? Are the levels up enough now to put a boat in easier?
I was told by a local bait store that they aren't going to fill the lake back up until the first week of April. Hopefully by this weekend you'll be able to put the boat in without having to drive down the lake bed a 100 yards.
Old 03-29-2012, 12:24 AM   #6
jeepguyjames

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanStone View Post
I was told by a local bait store that they aren't going to fill the lake back up until the first week of April. Hopefully by this weekend you'll be able to put the boat in without having to drive down the lake bed a 100 yards.
Thanks......are the ramps usually usable at winter pool?
jeepguyjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 01:11 AM   #7
SeanStone

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepguyjames View Post
Thanks......are the ramps usually usable at winter pool?
Not unless you have a 4 wheel drive truck and are really brave/confident. It can be done and I have seen boats out there when the waters low, but these guys are literally driving 50 plus yards off of the concrete boat ramps into the lake bed to put boats in the water. I wouldn't recommend it, but then again I have heard stories of several 2 pound crappies coming out of there this spring. Needless to say they aren't in there now.

Unless there is a secret spot that I don't know about that is easier to launch a boat, I wouldn't dare to do it.
Old 03-29-2012, 08:03 AM   #8
jeepguyjames

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanStone View Post
Not unless you have a 4 wheel drive truck and are really brave/confident. It can be done and I have seen boats out there when the waters low, but these guys are literally driving 50 plus yards off of the concrete boat ramps into the lake bed to put boats in the water. I wouldn't recommend it, but then again I have heard stories of several 2 pound crappies coming out of there this spring. Needless to say they aren't in there now.

Unless there is a secret spot that I don't know about that is easier to launch a boat, I wouldn't dare to do it.
Perfect thanks for the info
Old 03-29-2012, 09:46 PM   #9
VitalShot

Havent been to paint this year but why is the lake down so much. From what is being said it is well below winter pool. I have fished paint for 25 years and put in many times each year in winter pool. Yes there is good fishing in paint for some big crappies. My best day ever 126 10" and plus in one spot way up paint creek. Call it fantasy rock. This was way before limit was in place. Been to that spot 100 times since and never happened again. I fish slider grubs on a 1/8 or a 1/16 orange jig head. always orange jig head. My buddy has been up 3 times in last 2 weeks and has been doing well. Good luck. Fish back side of first island at plum run and bank across from it rock wall. fish bank and points across lake from campground boat ramp , run up paint creek when you make the hard right bend (old bidge embutments) fish there and up creek till you come to the big rock. Best of luck.
VitalShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 10:40 PM   #10
StumpHawg

Good luck running up the creek of Paint with a engine at winter pool, did you have rock and mud teeth on the prop?
StumpHawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 03:18 AM   #11
Fishing Nut

You can put in at paint creek during winter pool at the boat ramp behind Coles bait shop without leaving the ramp, we have fished several times during winter this year and have never had to leave the concrete to get the boat in the water.
Fishing Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 08:55 AM   #12
jeepguyjames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishing Nut View Post
You can put in at paint creek during winter pool at the boat ramp behind Coles bait shop without leaving the ramp, we have fished several times during winter this year and have never had to leave the concrete to get the boat in the water.
This its the
Ramp near the dam correct?......thanks for the info
Old 03-30-2012, 07:15 PM   #13
VitalShot

No problem going up creek. just run channel and know where and what youare doing and it will pay off big time.
VitalShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 01:04 AM   #14
Fishing Nut

Yes jeepguy it is the ramp beside the dam, if you go there make sure that you keep your trailer to the drivers side of the ramp as you are backing down or you will hit the sand bar.
Fishing Nut is offline   Reply With Quote