Ohio Game Fishing

Go Back  Ohio Game Fishing Community > Ohio Fishing Reports > Northeast Ohio Fishing Reports >

Pond catfish eats baby ducks?

Old 02-13-2012, 03:04 PM   #1
exide9922

Big Fish! Pond catfish eats baby ducks?

I've recently learned my wife's friend has a pretty good sized pond. She was telling me she has catfish in there and she's seen them come up and eat baby ducks! has anyone heard of something like that before? either way, when it warms up enough or freezes up enough, i'm going fishing there! the catfish have been in this pond for 30 years or so
exide9922 is offline   Reply With Quote

Register today to remove this advertisement IT'S FREE

Old 02-13-2012, 03:14 PM   #2
Shortdrift

We have duckling eating bass, catfish and turtles in the lake next door. The catfish are channels and were around thirty inches last time we saw them. The bass are up to six pounds. We caught a 28 pound, 19 pound, 12 pound and 8 pound snapper out of the lake through the years. The catfish just make a slurping sound when they take the duckling. The bass sometimes make a strong splash. The ducklings simply disappear when a turtle takes them.
Old 02-13-2012, 03:29 PM   #3
exide9922

I believe they're in the 30 inch range as well in her pond. i cant wait to fish it!
Old 02-13-2012, 03:51 PM   #4
markfish
bassing around

Inland Lakes & Reservoirs  

Total Awards: 1

Send a message via Skype™ to markfish
Default well here ducky

well you wont need that stink bait just a few little yellow duck,shouild do the trick.have a quackey time
markfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 04:48 PM   #5
JSykes3
A.K.A. Rooster

Inland Lakes & Reservoirs  
 Inland Rivers & Streams  

Total Awards: 2

Get yourself one of these, lol.
Attached Thumbnails
Northeast Ohio Fishing Reports - Click for larger version  
JSykes3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 07:15 PM   #6
exide9922

now thats awesome! LOL. i didnt realize ducklings were on the menu for so many fish
Old 02-14-2012, 01:36 AM   #7
fish master

Send a message via Yahoo to fish master
Default catfish eating a duck

fish master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 04:10 AM   #8
Matt Hougan

Baby ducks are easy prey. My dad and I were down at Reelfoot lake one April morning fishing for crappie amongst the cypress trees. We barely noticed a grey squirrel had climbed down a log that was laying in the water. It climbed all the way to the end of the log where it went into the water. At the waters edge it found an acorn. It sat up and began cutting that acorn. We didnt give it a second thought and continued fishing. We were startled when all hell broke loose. It seems a large flathead came out of the water and inhaled that squirrel. In a wall of water that squirrel was gone. We sat there dumb founded. If I hadnt seen it with my own eyes I'd never believe it. After a bit, we resumed fishing only to be startled again by another big splash by that fallen log. We were amazed that a catfish would eat a squirrel. Imagine what was going through our minds to see that catfish jump out of the water and place another acorn on that fallen log.

Gotcha!

Last edited by Matt Hougan; 02-14-2012 at 04:13 AM.
Matt Hougan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 08:25 AM   #9
Lowell H Turner

Was at CJ Brown crappie fishing the fuel pier inside the Marina perhaps 15 yrs ago in the early AM predawn. A mother mallard had 6-7 ducklings in tow, paddling around; they came up to me expecting some bread or whatever due to people feeding them. Was doing my best to ignore them and keep them off my line went the mother duck raised up and just SANK, quacking and frantically beating her wings; the baby ducklings just went NUTS, literally running to and fro 2 actually collided as I looked on in disbelief about 4-5 ft away. They finally gathered under the dock, quacking; about 4 or 5 minutes later there was a loud splash under the dock and 4- 5 of the survivors raced out from under the dock in every direction as fast as they could go. Mom duck never did come back up. Have wondered if a BIG snapper grabbed her or a big cat? That was the ONLY time I EVER saw a duck SINK before my eyes; because she was in the shadow of the dock I never did see what got her...best guess was a BIG catfish that also got 2 of the ducklings too...
Lowell H Turner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 08:42 AM   #10
fishngolf
Blu Fin owner

Default Large fish eats duck..

fishngolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 11:23 AM   #11
ducman491

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishngolf View Post
That's pretty good right there!
ducman491 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 02:41 PM   #12
GULPisgreat

A few years ago I was fishing Bolivar dam. A baby duck came out of the spill way chirping like crazy. I watched for a few minutes slowly swim my way and I was curious to see if something would attack it. Sure enough, it swam past me I turned my head to cast and looked right back and there was just a huge boil where the duckling was. I figured it was a pike or largemouth. I had just recently caught and released a 24 inch LMB there and thought it had come to tell me hello. lol. Fish will eat what they can find, no matter the species. For example my top carp bait is live crayfish and I have even caught a few 10 lbs carp on YUM Crawbug tubes right at the spillway at Bolivar. (yes, hooked in the mouth, not snagged)
GULPisgreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 04:23 PM   #13
fishinnick

LOL at the video!
fishinnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 04:49 PM   #14
Huntinbull

Send a message via AIM to Huntinbull Send a message via Yahoo to Huntinbull
Default Stains

Anyone know what to use to remove stains from a chair cushion?

www.I-Train-CCW.com

Christian Outdoorsman. Enjoying the glory God has made and sharing my faith in the Lord.

Romans 8:31
Huntinbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 05:13 PM   #15
c. j. stone

My son swore he saw a BULLFROG take a baby mallard right in front of him once. Now that had to be a good sized frog!!
c. j. stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 05:21 PM   #16
GARNERMAN357

I have a buddy who has a small pond over ran with muskrats. this spring his lab got into a nest of babies and there was almost a dozen babies about three inches long it took only couple mins for everysingle one to get eaten by the bass in the pond. they just swam out about ten feet and gone. I beleive the frog eating a duck. ive gooten several 1 to 3 puond bull frogs giging and have found large crayfish and other frogs in them when i gutted them. frogs were so big they were like cleaning squrriels.
GARNERMAN357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 05:53 PM   #17
FISHIN216

Quote:
Originally Posted by c. j. stone View Post
My son swore he saw a BULLFROG take a baby mallard right in front of him once. Now that had to be a good sized frog!!
I was fishing my pond and there were some finches squawking like crazy at the water so I went over there and a frog had one in its mouth. It was fighting to get out and then it went under and the birds just waited there. It was sad...couldn't believe it!

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
Old 02-14-2012, 06:43 PM   #18
Dirty Mudskipper

Saw a sad one two years ago. Was at Nimi and heard something fall through the limbs and hit the water. Didn't think much, but kept hearing a tiny squeaking sound and a tad bit of splashing. Check it out, it's a baby bird trying to stay above water. As I'm trying to find a way to maybe save it, BOOM, huge bass explodes out beneath it, swallows it whole!
Continue fishing, about 30 minutes go by and a large bird (hawk?) comes flying to the tree, squawking and screaming. It flew in every immediate direction for almost an hour, steadily crying out, almost begging for a response from it's young. Wild!

It's always a great day to fish!
Dirty Mudskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 08:40 PM   #19
fishmonster11

Lake Erie Region  

Total Awards: 1

Ya bull frogs can definitely take down baby ducks. I used to have a large pet one (bowser) and would feed it large mice and chipmunks. They'd disappear 3 seconds after landing in the tank.
fishmonster11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 06:33 AM   #20
Mickey

3 lb. frogs and 24" bass. I've always said fishermen and golfers are the biggest liars. They keep proving it every day.
Mickey is offline   Reply With Quote