Notices

Go Back  Ohio Game Fishing Community > General Discussions > Hard Water Discussions >

Cordless Drill for Ice Auger

Old 11-28-2011, 06:52 PM   #1
thebige22

Default Cordless Drill for Ice Auger

What drill type and brand do you recommend for using with ice auger? I'm thinking of 18V Dewalt drill. Any comments. Thanks.

TheBigE22
thebige22 is offline   Reply With Quote

Register today to remove this advertisement IT'S FREE

Old 11-28-2011, 07:49 PM   #2
Flathead King 06
click...click...click

Send a message via AIM to Flathead King 06

I was just watching a video on youtube earlier that showed a clip from Ice Fishing Today of the K Drill... looks pretty slick for drilling holes without lugging around a gasser and without wrenching your arms

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

In search of that elusive hawg flathead...
Flathead King 06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 08:31 PM   #3
Minnowhead

I was going to say the same thing. The drill I believe was 24v. in the video.

TEAM SHAPPELL
TEAM JIFFY PRO4
Minnowhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 08:36 PM   #4
Shortdrift

I had an adapter for my 18 volt drill and 6" auger. Did a decent job but you had to keep the battery(s) warm.
Old 11-28-2011, 10:32 PM   #5
sherman51

i have a 18v dewalt. i would think it would work about as good as any of them. it really has alot of torque and lasts a long time on a full battery. of course dewalt makes a 36v drill i would just guess would do a better job. but your talking about 200.00 just for a drill and 1 battery. i believe i seen one on ebay for around 119.00 and a battery for like 90.00. but you might find a used one alittle cheaper. or find one that comes with a battery might be alittle cheaper. i think i would try the 18v if you already have one. but if your going to buy one just to use for ice fishing i would get the 36v.
sherman
sherman51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 10:47 PM   #6
quackpot

Like shortdrift said keeping batteries warm is the issue. I tried it last year. I don't know about a weight difference because of the weight of the drill and extra battery. I'm figuring a battery auger is in my future. That way I'll be ready for lakes with gas motor issues.
quackpot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 11:22 PM   #7
Shortdrift

Default Warm battery

I wraped my primary and spare in an insulating material (bubble wrap or old wool sox's) and put them in a small insulated (six pak) cooler with a couple hand warmers.
Old 11-29-2011, 08:18 AM   #8
quackpot

i wrapped mine as well with hand warmers. also set them in a small foam minnow bucket. after one trip back to the truck to get the hand crank i started taking it just in case. also had a charger in the truck with a power supply for long drives. minnow bucket was in another bag.

Last edited by quackpot; 11-29-2011 at 08:19 AM. Reason: addition information
Old 11-29-2011, 12:02 PM   #9
allwayzfishin
just 1 more cast!!!

I just picked up the nimrod adapter. Looks like they used too much stock in my opinion, but that leaves room to cut it in half and make 2 out of the 1. I have a crazy idea of using 2 9amp batteries to make a 24v battery pack. I have a old craftsman 18v. If I can pull the guts out of the battery pack and hardwire the drill to the 9amp batteries secured in a travel case, this would make one sweet lil power auger. Should be able to get lots of holes with the 9amp batteries. Plus the added power would give it more torque too. Ill post some pics when I complete this Frankenstein drill
allwayzfishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 12:38 PM   #10
sherman51

Quote:
Originally Posted by allwayzfishin View Post
I just picked up the nimrod adapter. Looks like they used too much stock in my opinion, but that leaves room to cut it in half and make 2 out of the 1. I have a crazy idea of using 2 9amp batteries to make a 24v battery pack. I have a old craftsman 18v. If I can pull the guts out of the battery pack and hardwire the drill to the 9amp batteries secured in a travel case, this would make one sweet lil power auger. Should be able to get lots of holes with the 9amp batteries. Plus the added power would give it more torque too. Ill post some pics when I complete this Frankenstein drill
24v battery might just burn up the 18v motor. but if it doesnt it should make a nice auger.
sherman
Old 11-29-2011, 05:13 PM   #11
thebige22

Thanks for all the input guys. I haven't decided on what brand of drill but am leaning towards the Dewalt 18V. The one I am looking at comes with 2 batteries but sounds like the big issue may be trying to keep the batteries warm. At times I will be in a shanty with a heater so I should be OK, but when I'm sitting out in the open I'll probably resort to the recommendations by a couple of you guys on this post. Thanks.

TheBigE22
thebige22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 11:31 PM   #12
allwayzfishin
just 1 more cast!!!

Here is what I have created tonight. Insulated pak fits into a camo backpack from gander mtn perfectly. Nice and comfy with a total wieght of just 12lbs. Drill seems to have a new life now after sitting for 10+ yrs. Handles the 24v battery pak just fine. Really rips thru wood with a paddle bit. Drilled holes till it ran out of wood. Lol, only used a lil bit of power from batteries to boot. Cant wait for hardwater. No more hand crankin for me. hahahahahaha....gotta love it!!!!

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
Attached Images
File Type: jpg uploadfromtaptalk1322623779999.jpg (190.9 KB, 427 views)

Last edited by allwayzfishin; 11-29-2011 at 11:44 PM.
Old 11-30-2011, 01:38 AM   #13
1gmkiller

All I have to say is watch yourself using one of these setup's. My brither and I tried it last year when I went to Michigan to fish with him and I had a bad expeiriance. The auger caught and I couldn't get my finger off the trigger of the drill fast enough and it wrapped my hand and arm up in it. Almost broke my wrist and my finger never came off the trigger the way it was bent around. My brother had to end up taking the battery out of the drill and I actually had to spin myself around the auger to get my hand freed up from it. I recomend if you are going to use one and the drill has some power to it get one that you can put a handle into the side of it to get a better hold on the drill. That was not much fun at all!!! just my .02
1gmkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 06:27 AM   #14
quackpot

Did you make your adapter? Only thing I see is my store bought adapter had a piece that goes around the back of the drill. That way if the auger comes loose you don't have to stand and watch it sink. I will add pictures later.
Old 11-30-2011, 07:43 AM   #15
Tailchaser

Send a message via AIM to Tailchaser
Default Bosch 18 volt at Menards

For all you guys that want to use a drill with a auger, the Bosch is on sale for 99.00 at Menards. Nov. 30th. till Dec. 11th. This drill has 500 in.lbs. of torque. That's what you want for ice cutting . High torque & 2 Litheon Batt. I have the sister model , the compac version, 530 in. lbs. I have been using this Bosch drill going on 3 seasons & it does the job. I carry the batt. in my parka coat pockets ,less carry. I use a 6 inch laser , & it cuts threw 10 inches of ice, 12 to 16 holes per batt. Pending on ice conditions & temp. No fish after that, I'm other there. Good luck ' walking on water, Don.
Tailchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 08:09 AM   #16
sherman51

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebige22 View Post
Thanks for all the input guys. I haven't decided on what brand of drill but am leaning towards the Dewalt 18V. The one I am looking at comes with 2 batteries but sounds like the big issue may be trying to keep the batteries warm. At times I will be in a shanty with a heater so I should be OK, but when I'm sitting out in the open I'll probably resort to the recommendations by a couple of you guys on this post. Thanks.

TheBigE22
the 18v dewalt i have has 3 speeds low med high. its more like a transmission than speeds. its low gear for the most torque, it will twist the head right off a no 14 screw. then med gear gives you alittle more speed and less torque. and high gear is for high speed drilling but less torque.

i bought a truck camper a few years back. i was using my dewalt 18v on the jacks. when i got the jack off the ground i just kept going to get the jack as high as it would go. when i ran out of jack the drill flipped around and hit me in the mouth. there was nothing i could do, it was just to strong in low gear. but i was taking blood thinners and it busted my lower lip. i bled like a stuck hog. after that i have been real careful using my drill on my camper. so be careful using them for drilling holes in the hard water.
sherman
Old 11-30-2011, 09:37 AM   #17
allwayzfishin
just 1 more cast!!!

I have the nimrod handle with it as well....The handle provides stability, grip and keeps the auger from going in the drink. The key I believe is sharp blades and letting the auger do the work WITHOUT forcing the auger into the ice. Nice steady pressure...Just like drilling into steel. The last few inches is what is critical and could cause the auger to bite into the breakthrough. I have like $20 bucks into this project because I had all the stuff laying around the house not being used. I also have a Milwaukee M18 lithium ion with 3 batteries for work, but figured I would try this old craftsman out. The 9amp batteries will hold a charge longer the any other battery used for this application. I should get around 50-100 holes on one charge. I just didnt want to have to buy hand warmers all the time and worry about breaking my expensive work drill. I have only seen ice up to 22'' in northeast Ohio with the first layer being that soft white ice, so this craftsman should fit the bill. Has a lifetime warranty too. Just seemed to make sense using it. Thanks for everyone's safety concerns too. Ill post up some more info with test results when the ice forms.

Last edited by allwayzfishin; 11-30-2011 at 09:46 AM.
Old 11-30-2011, 10:26 AM   #18
Tailchaser

Send a message via AIM to Tailchaser
Default Side handle

You are right on with that side handle feature. It really helps with leverage & the force of the actual break threw. Unfortunately , the smaller drills don't have that screw in port to use a side handle. I'm thinking of trying to rig up a mount with maybe a stainless steel clamp & handle for this year.
Tailchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 11:49 AM   #19
bigcrappiehammer

Send a message via Yahoo to bigcrappiehammer

If i was in the new drill market i would buy a Ridged form Home Depot. They a comparable to Hitachi. I have both Hitachi and Ridged and use them all the time. It is the batteries that go bad and Ridged has a lifetime warrantee on both the tool and battery. Most battery warrantees are only for three years. Also the cold is one of the hardest on batteries.
bigcrappiehammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 09:10 PM   #20
Networthy

I would not recommend useing your DeWalt. I have used a DeWalt 18v with both types of batteries, and was only able to drill one or two holes. I even waited until morning to take the battery off the charger(new drill too). I would probably look at an 18v or bigger Craftsman. Just my opinion from personal experience(with an 8" auger). Also, if you do get a drill and plan to use it, make sure that you take the handle for the auger along, just in case your battery dies. I think keeping your battery warm is key, but I haven't figured out yet how to keep anything warm while ice fishing.
By the way, I bit the big one last season and bought a Jiffy LP 10" auger, heck with manual labor.
Networthy is offline   Reply With Quote